DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Reusing MLS Gaskets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reusing MLS Gaskets
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
BBC
First MLS gasket I used was a Felpro. They used some kind of coating around water ports. That stuff stayed on the block and head so never reused. Then I started using Cometic and could get 2-3 uses from one if I copped coat sprayed before using. 15:1 4.50” bore

That's it, and spray adhesive prep the oil drain. We've put them back in service with fairly big doses of nitrous (400-450).

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
100+run Cometic MLS head gaskets moments before they are deposited in the trash...

I know a few things because I've done a few things aka "practical experience". NahNahTounge

AGAIN...I know Cometic says they can be reused, I know racers that reuse them and I chose not to reuse them because again, the potential down side far exceeds the upside of saving $150. So do want you want with your engine, your $ and your time.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Undertaker II:
Has anyone actually reused their MLS head gaskets? I've had lots of people say that you can but I'm looking for some real world experience. Thanks! Kevin

Kev, the answer is yes! Are they cometic, Felpro might have a difference of opinion.

****I would inspect inspect as I pointed out. ****

The 150$ head gasket is a cookie cutter gasket readily available. Unfortunately mine are not. I hope yours are std not specialty.

Thank you for your research Ed. As I said earlier in my post^^^I am smart enough to know what an embossed sealing ring is and if it’s good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Wasn't this about re-using head gaskets?

Nope.....not no mo it ain't....
Typical...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
His question was answered in the first reply...

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
you can but I don't or wouldn't, the potential down side far exceeds the upside of saving $150

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Is it safe to cross the road during rush hour traffic, or should I wait till traffic lightens up?

Ed answers The potential downside far exceeds the upside.

Ed, the potential downside is relative practical experience.

In this case, as is in most cases, you have no practical experience.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone actually reused their MLS head gaskets? I've had lots of people say that you can but I'm looking for some real world experience. Thanks! Kevin

quote:
you can but I don't or wouldn't, the potential down side far exceeds the upside of saving $150

quote:

Wrong

First sentence, OP wanted someone who "actually reused their MLS head gaskets?"; you "don't" or "wouldn't". Second sentence, he was looking for "some real world experience." You don't have it, according to you!

You provided your opinion, thinking you answered his question.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
jamie you continue to add nothing to these threads, only comments to my posts. You're a hater and just jealous so why go out of your way to say hello to me at Lebanon? My advice to you is don't concern yourself with what I advise here. Focus on you and your program which clearly needs help. Meanwhile, Keep dreaming, work harder and maybe one day your life will be full of WIN as mine is and you can get past the 2nd round at the LODRS at Lebanon. Laughing Hard

FYI, that engine was brand new this season. No one expects a premium connecting rod to split vertically at the threads for the cap/rod bolt after 52 passes. FYI 2..The spare engine is being built now.

Perhaps you didn’t see the part of my reply where I said I have three engines and re use cometics in them. One more engine than you have Big Grin

So was the engine brand new or did it have 52 runs on it? It can’t be both. Again, truth and facts, if you’re competing at the level you think you are you’d have a spare bullet. You come on here and talk all this BS about brand name engine builders yet your stuff kicks the rods out at the first race and it’s not fixed yet, months later. And from what I hear, the brand name engine builders roll their eyes and laugh when you call. Meanwhile, myself as well as many others who do their own work or have it done locally would have been racing by the next race.

I didn’t come see you at Lebanon valley, but I did say hi when I saw you because I’m not a dyck.

What is funny about Lebanon valley is you had a neighbor that was there and when he saw he was parked next to you left to park somewhere else Eek

You sure have quite the reputation and it’s not positive Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 183N,

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I save all my old gaskets as well as oil ring expanders and usually bearings if their good....

I use head gaskets as templates as any decent engine builder would to scribe the combustion chamber and check fit....

Oil ring expanders are often WRONG in sets and I have old ones to fall back on...

Bearings if clean can easily be reused....Do I usually re use them....NO

For my own racing I will do whatever I need to, to make a race I expected to....

Pulling the engine out of my car or taking it apart in the car was nothing to me in my younger days....been there done that many times....

NO MO fo sure.......with age comes wisdom...LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Perhaps you didn’t see the part of my reply where I said I have three engines and re use cometics in them. One more engine than you have Big Grin

So was the engine brand new or did it have 52 runs on it? It can’t be both. Again, truth and facts, if you’re competing at the level you think you are you’d have a spare bullet. You come on here and talk all this BS about brand name engine builders yet your stuff kicks the rods out at the first race and it’s not fixed yet, months later. And from what I hear, the brand name engine builders roll their eyes and laugh when you call. Meanwhile, myself as well as many others who do their own work or have it done locally would have been racing by the next race.

I didn’t come see you at Lebanon valley, but I did say hi when I saw you because I’m not a dyck.

What is funny about Lebanon valley is you had a neighbor that was there and when he saw he was parked next to you left to park somewhere else Eek

You sure have quite the reputation and it’s not positive Big Grin

Wrong perhaps you didn't see the part of my reply where I suggested you don't concern yourself with my advise here or my program for that matter. My program has proven to be a winner, yours clearly not.

Next, you are a dyck, evidence to that fact based on your replies here to most anything I post.

That said and because you need to know, the FACTS and the TRUTH are the engine in my Firebird was brand new this season. Further it did not not kick the rods out on it's first race. A rod split and was contained within the block and oil pan, 1.5 seconds after letting go of the button 7 weeks ago after 6 weeks of racing and 52 passes.

Now as to the rest of pathetic reply, Charlie Yenetti was parked to my right all weekend as was the guy to my left. No one left so besides being a dyck you're a liar.

Last, Everyone hates a winner and We have proven to be a winning team and we will win more races and championships before I leave this rock, you can bet on that. You, the best you can hope for is to win a bracket race at your local duck pond. Spitting

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lol you’re funny. So, you can comment on everyone else’s racing operation calling everyone’s stuff a piece of shyt, but as soon as someone comments on your operation you right away want them to stop? That’s some democrat logic right there Big Grin

Ok, rods didn’t come out of the pan. Should be even easier to fix then. A real racer would have had that engine fixed and running in a matter of weeks no mind months.

Truth and facts are still your shyt is broke and you haven’t fixed it in months when someone competing at the level you claim you are would have just plugged the spare bullet in and kept racing. Maybe you didn’t get the memo but you surely can’t compete for any national or divisional championship if you can’t enter the race due to broken shyt.

Funny how you the guy with 13000+ posts says I reply to every one of his. Clearly that’s not the case as you can check my post count. No, I reply when I have something to add like I did earlier in this thread. If you’re running your mouth in the post I might throw a jab your way too, mister broken rod!!!!!! NahNahTounge

That's a good nickname for you. Broken Rod B*gley Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Between Cone Killer and Broken Rod B*gley who knows what happens next around here. Will Cone Killer post another meme in this thread? Will Broken Rod B*gley say I'm a broke dyck who doesn't know shyt and hasn't done shyt? Will Cone Killer get a vacation like Broken Rod has had many of? Will Broken Rod get another vacation? Stay tuned for the next installment of "As Bracket Talk Turns" Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 183N,

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Expert Ed sharing his know it all attitude

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
183N, If SL wants this place straightened up , it's simple.

Give any Lefty a vacation, who openly Lies.

Enforce rule of law.

If you openly Lie, you go bye bye.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’m just trying to eat some dinner and drink a beer or 2 and I read this and spit my beer on my samich....Just some funny chit !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wrong

First sentence, OP wanted someone who "actually reused their MLS head gaskets?"; you "don't" or "wouldn't". Second sentence, he was looking for "some real world experience." You don't have it, according to you!

You provided your opinion, thinking you answered his question.

I have and I was on the pump for two weeks with my 427 stock motor. Heads off three times ( same gaskets) changing oil rings, three cams, two intakes, headers and carbs. I did timing sweeps and valve sweeps. I wore it out on the pump and the gaskets did not fail. Is a dyno pull as much as a full track pull? Prob not..
I just put on two new cometics an hour ago.
If these come off clean and no issues I will copper coat and run them again.
My dime my time.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
I have and I was on the pump for two weeks with my 427 stock motor. Heads off three times ( same gaskets) changing oil rings, three cams, two intakes, headers and carbs. I did timing sweeps and valve sweeps. I wore it out on the pump and the gaskets did not fail. Is a dyno pull as much as a full track pull? Prob not..
I just put on two new cometics an hour ago.
If these come off clean and no issues I will copper coat and run them again.
My dime my time.

Barry, good to here you got the head gaskets!

I have never considered re-using the MLS head gaskets. I think I might re-consider it in the future, depending on the circumstances.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Lol you’re funny. So, you can comment on everyone else’s racing operation calling everyone’s stuff a piece of shyt, but as soon as someone comments on your operation you right away want them to stop? That’s some democrat logic right there Big Grin

Ok, rods didn’t come out of the pan. Should be even easier to fix then. A real racer would have had that engine fixed and running in a matter of weeks no mind months.

Truth and facts are still your shyt is broke and you haven’t fixed it in months when someone competing at the level you claim you are would have just plugged the spare bullet in and kept racing. Maybe you didn’t get the memo but you surely can’t compete for any national or divisional championship if you can’t enter the race due to broken shyt.

Funny how you the guy with 13000+ posts says I reply to every one of his. Clearly that’s not the case as you can check my post count. No, I reply when I have something to add like I did earlier in this thread. If you’re running your mouth in the post I might throw a jab your way too, mister broken rod!!!!!! NahNahTounge

That's a good nickname for you. Broken Rod B*gley Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Between Cone Killer and Broken Rod B*gley who knows what happens next around here. Will Cone Killer post another meme in this thread? Will Broken Rod B*gley say I'm a broke dyck who doesn't know shyt and hasn't done shyt? Will Cone Killer get a vacation like Broken Rod has had many of? Will Broken Rod get another vacation? Stay tuned for the next installment of "As Bracket Talk Turns" Big Grin

More lies, more misinformation from this loser who's got a big mouth talking about me banging away on his keyboard but when he sees me, when he's 5 feet away from me all he can say is hello. That is the definition of a sackless keyboard cowboy. There's your TRUTH and FACTS.

PATHETIC!

For the record, I have only 6530 posts here, not 13000+ NahNahTounge and I have not called everyone else’s racing operation a piece of shyt, rather I said junk and only a select few special asswipes who's shyt really is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
More lies, more misinformation from this loser who's got a big mouth about about me banging away on his keyboard but when he sees me, when he's 5 feet away from me all he can say is hello. That is the definition of a sackless keyboard cowboy. There's your TRUTH and FACTS.

PATHETIC!

Find your way out of this thread. You were wrong with your first post to OP. Now, you & 183 continue to derail.

ED, you are the PATHETIC Forum Punk & that's a stretch giving you that much credit!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My reply was not wrong and again, you're another internet forum sackless nobody that wouldn't say it to my face other than maybe hello. Laughing very hard

Now all that matters in this thread is the TRUTH and the FACTS which per Brendan at Cometic...

"With our MLS gaskets after a heat cycle has been ran, they shouldn't be re-used, as that embossment stamping on the gasket could potentially not spring back and seal, causing leaks with fluids, or combustion"

There you have it folks but why listen to the manufacturer who advises not to reuse them, why listen to the many national race engines builders that don't reuse them when the internet message board experts say go right ahead without the slightest curiosity as to the number of runs on these gaskets no mind the power this engine produces no mind that it may be procharged, super charged or sprayed. They may have 100 passes on them or 1000 passes but none of that matters and all is good to go just by spraying the surfaces with copper coat. Yep Generic statements made on an internet message board are always the best advice to follow. Roll Eyes

Again your time, your dime!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:

Kev, the answer is yes! Are they cometic, Felpro might have a difference of opinion.

****I would inspect inspect as I pointed out. ****

The 150$ head gasket is a cookie cutter gasket readily available. Unfortunately mine are not. I hope yours are std not specialty.

Thank you for your research Ed. As I said earlier in my post^^^I am smart enough to know what an embossed sealing ring is and if it’s good.

Raceless in California!