Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Engine Stands
 Login/Join
 
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I souped her up some more and topped her off with Valvoline 75w90 conventional, she is hot to trot!

Gonna button her up, she's ready! Smooth! Smile


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a transmission rebuild stand. Have not found one yet.
 
Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
still chinese JUNK
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was old school and built my own. Engine stand doubles as a transmission stand with a different head. It’s kind of a Rube Goldberg affair but it works.

Very seldom use it anymore.


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5325 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
T I T S!!


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Chinese shyt!
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Chinese shyt!
Show us how it's done know nothing, do nothing, parts changer, milk titted dork. Big Grin

Find one better, I'll wait.

T I T S!!


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My 35 year old Lakewood engine stand is very stout because of the thickness of the steel it's made from, I've had iron headed BBC's on it a bunch of times without concern. The only issue is, it's only 3 wheeled, so you have to be careful when moving it around, that being said the 3 wheel design is much better to work around because you don't bang your feet on the two front wheels sticking out. Also on any engine stand, mount the engine as low as possible on the head, it makes it less top heavy and easier to rotate the engine.

I also have a 50 year old Walker engine crane that has been awesome for the last 40 years I've had it. Only the wheels at the handle/jack end swivel, so when you move it across the shop it goes where you point it, unlike the ones with 4 swivel wheels. Plus the front wheels that carry most of the weight are large diameter, making it much easier to move around with weight on it.

Of course both of these were made before the China junk was even thought of.........


272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.
 
Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
My 35 year old Lakewood engine stand is very stout because of the thickness of the steel it's made from, I've had iron headed BBC's on it a bunch of times without concern. The only issue is, it's only 3 wheeled, so you have to be careful when moving it around, that being said the 3 wheel design is much better to work around because you don't bang your feet on the two front wheels sticking out. Also on any engine stand, mount the engine as low as possible on the head, it makes it less top heavy and easier to rotate the engine.

I also have a 50 year old Walker engine crane that has been awesome for the last 40 years I've had it. Only the wheels at the handle/jack end swivel, so when you move it across the shop it goes where you point it, unlike the ones with 4 swivel wheels. Plus the front wheels that carry most of the weight are large diameter, making it much easier to move around with weight on it.

Of course both of these were made before the China junk was even thought of.........


I've got a yellow three wheel Lakewood stand I've had since the early 1980's.

I could C-clamp this bakers tray to the center leg on it.

The only thing I didn't like about this crank stand was the tray was too narrow to just lay on the two wheel post outriggers.

That's solved, nice little gimmick to lay it on.

Nice engine stand, I like it.





 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Big composite Rubbermaid cart doubles as a mobile work table, luv it!

Normally $300 Grainger, on Amazon $140... Deal.

 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just looking at your pics gave me a good idea, which looks like you're incorporating.

I have a large vise on my bench, but I've also inherited vices through the years. They are just sitting. I think I'm going to mount one on the opposite end of the bench to secure the long pieces of material.

Full disclosure: All vices we're made in the USA. They're probably older than me. Hell, my air compressor is 2 years older than I am!
One of them has a patent on it from 1876 if I remember correctly. Lol



Cool
 
Posts: 621 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
Just looking at your pics gave me a good idea, which looks like you're incorporating.

I have a large vise on my bench, but I've also inherited vices through the years. They are just sitting. I think I'm going to mount one on the opposite end of the bench to secure the long pieces of material.

Full disclosure: All vices we're made in the USA. They're probably older than me. Hell, my air compressor is 2 years older than I am!
One of them has a patent on it from 1876 if I remember correctly. Lol


I run two vices on the bench, so I can do an engine and transmission at the same time. My transmission jig / stand uses the smaller vice, and I can file rings off the bigger of the two.

Quite often I'm doing both, same time.

Works out T I T S


This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Mike you tease me with the trans stand, Big Grin I like what I see so far. You gonna show us the secret. Some of us still build are own trans you know. Smile
 
Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Do you find the front outriggers to interfere with the legs of an engine hoist?
 
Posts: 377 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Im going to build fixture like MW sells to be able to do trans and third members but make it slide in my engine stand did make a head for it with a vise mounted is noise to be able to have one portable
 
Posts: 404 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Do you find the front outriggers to interfere with the legs of an engine hoist?


That's a damn good question.

The red stand measures 23.5" outside to outside.

The Yellow engine stand 25"

23.5" isn't a problem by a couple inches.

It should be fine in that regard.


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I found that when you buy Jegs or Summit or even Harbor Freight branded items, you have to buy and try to find out how they hold up. For example, I buy the Summit brand mini starter which holds up just as well as the brand names do. Being in the heavy equipment/truck repair business, I bought a harbor freight 1 inch drive long nose impact for doing truck tires/brakes 20 plus years ago and it has worked better than my CP wrench does. I bought a dual anvil when they first came out from Harbor Freight to be able to have one on each side of the truck, they have been flawless.I also purchased a 16 hp twin cylinder 30 gallon compressor from them when they first came out 25 plus years ago and all I have ever done is change the oil. I havent even replaced the belt yet. On the other side of the coin, I found out you dont buy fuses, zip ties, bungee straps from Harbor Freight. I get that stuff from Napa. In other words, there are pluses and minuses to buying foreign, sometimes it takes trial and error to find out.
 
Posts: 301 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Did some swapping and got my old steel headed 454 back home.

I learned something about this stand because of the amount of weight it's holding, well two things actually.

1. It's a bad mothertrucker engine stand, the weight doesn't phase it.

2. Take the center wheels off, they're for when you fold the stand up, for storage.

I just went to buy another and JEGS only has 4 left.


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
So don't make the mistake I did, take the center wheels off, the engine will be perfectly level.

As it is now, the back wheels don't contact the floor, by a 1/4" or so.

 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 


© DragRaceResults.com 2024