DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    yikes!! whats going on with hoosier!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

yikes!! whats going on with hoosier!!
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I was just told by Hoosier to use C1550's on my 4.90 door car.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
The BR3 is a great tire on a 4.40s and slower dragster.

No matter what i did with the BR3, i couldnt get the shake out at 1.02-1.04. The 4 link and Penski shock was changed a bunch. Now there are several guys that are making the newest hoosier/bubba tire working. But it was said the newest version was designed by the MT engineers that now work for Hoosier. So far the guys using them say they cannot tell a difference between the hoosier and the mickey.

Ran the c1500 when going same 60ft as you but couldn't get them to not quiver either. Never tried the BR3, went back to the c2055 never shook, even when they had 300+ passes on them. Since they discontinued that compound and heard the feedback on the c1550s from a variety of sources we decided to make the switch. Was anywhere between 4-6.5 psi on the 1550s throughout 3 days of racing and the higher the pressure the smoother it got. Moved .003 in 60 over 11 passes on the way to a semi finals finish in a 20k. Woke up the next day thinking I found the sweet spot and the hotter the track got the harder it shook to the point I had to get out of it.

I know all the TD guys love them and only had to make pressure changes but heard that Langdon had to take all of the grip out of the 4 link to really get them to work.

Posts: 34 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I know all the TD guys love them and only had to make pressure changes but heard that Langdon had to take all of the grip out of the 4 link to really get them to work.[/QUOTE]

And that IS a typical hoosier.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
No matter what i did with the BR3, i couldnt get the shake out at 1.02-1.04. The 4 link and Penski shock was changed a bunch. Now there are several guys that are making the newest hoosier/bubba tire working. But it was said the newest version was designed by the MT engineers that now work for Hoosier. So far the guys using them say they cannot tell a difference between the hoosier and the mickey.

What air pressure did you run in them?

The BR3 will be back on my car that too 60 foots 1.02 - 1.04, after the Epping divisional.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

What air pressure did you run in them?

The BR3 will be back on my car that too 60 foots 1.02 - 1.04, after the Epping divisional.

It would go down the track @ 4.5-4.75 psi. The higher you went, harder the shake. I broke an input shaft at 5.75 psi, and i pulled trans and tires at same time, and never went back. I am however interested in the c1550s

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
All you have to do with the C1550 is compensate with air pressure. On cooler days you go up in air pressure and the hotter it is the more you take out to flatten the tire. You do not have to change any 4 link setups. At Galot this past week the track temp topped 150 multiple days and my stuff didn't move going low 4.40s and going 4.70s with my other car.

Posts: 60 | Location: N.C | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CManuel:
All you have to do with the C1550 is compensate with air pressure. On cooler days you go up in air pressure and the hotter it is the more you take out to flatten the tire. You do not have to change any 4 link setups. At Galot this past week the track temp topped 150 multiple days and my stuff didn't move going low 4.40s and going 4.70s with my other car.

When i get a set, i will try this. What tire pressure do you run and the typical swing in tire pressure?

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My fast car in cold weather goes high 4.20s-low 4.30s and I run 4.5 psi at that time. That's if the high temps are never out of the 50s. In the middle of Summer with highs near 100 I ran 3.8 psi and went about 4.42-4.43. Now weight of combo plays a big factor in this as well. My setup is 1880-1900 lbs. The lighter your setup the less you have to run to compensate otherwise it will quiver at the lockup of converter.

Posts: 60 | Location: N.C | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pretzles:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
Asking a lot from that tire on that combo!

then why did hoosier in indiana tell him to use that tire?? just asking for curiosity sake...not my car...maybe ed was right,the custodian?

Mike, just been my past experiences with that tire on fast dragsters and door cars. It has it's limits and a 7.0 door car is just past them IMO based on past experiences. It will go down the track but not like the 34.5 tire will. I don't know who told him to run that tire nor what the rep was told either! Good track conditions, soft hit converter etc all help too, as always its not just one thing that makes or brakes a combo!

Unfortunately they discontinued the C2055 (34.5/17), it is now a W2021. We loved that tire and were convinced to switch to the C1550s - which are the tires that won TD in Pomon - and while they were very consistent, I couldn't get the shake out of them (4.70 dragster). Have tried getting ahold of someone at Hoosier to get their opinion 6 times now and can't get anyone to call me. Last ditch effort will be to raise the top bar and take all the grip out of the car. We put Bubbas on the 4.50 car.

I stand corrected, Paul was running the 1550. Thought he had the new tires on.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Here ya go Jenavet
Hoosier 18705C35
Scheduled to build next week.

BP

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Why do you have to run a hoosier flat to make it work? 3.8-4.5 psi might as well be flat.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The C1550 has more natural bite than a bubba tire has so you have to compensate for that with tire pressure. The goal is to have the longest life you can get out of your tires. I can't get over 70-80 runs on a bubba before the sidewalls are shot. I am just over 130 runs on the C1550s and they are still working perfectly even with having to run a lower tire pressure.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The C1550 has more natural bite than a bubba tire has so you have to compensate for that with tire pressure. The goal is to have the longest life you can get out of your tires. I can't get over 70-80 runs on a bubba before the sidewalls are shot. I am just over 130 runs on the C1550s and they are still working perfectly even with having to run a lower tire pressure.

I went down as low as 4 and it was smoother but the car didn't feel planted at all and just whishy washy going down track so I didn't feel comfortable going lower. What do you 60ft in with your 4.70 car? Ours is pretty soft and goes 1.11 but out mph similar ETs by 2+. That car is also pretty heavy at 2100 lbs race ready so it may be a combination of that weight with a soft 60 ft that is making the tire angry. It was darn consistent, just not smooth so it can't be that far off from working.

Posts: 34 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is good to know. I can get my bubbas to 120 passes, but at the 70-80 mark i have to go up .25 psi to get them to act the same.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pretzles:

I went down as low as 4 and it was smoother but the car didn't feel planted at all and just whishy washy going down track so I didn't feel comfortable going lower. What do you 60ft in with your 4.70 car? Ours is pretty soft and goes 1.11 but out mph similar ETs by 2+. That car is also pretty heavy at 2100 lbs race ready so it may be a combination of that weight with a soft 60 ft that is making the tire angry. It was darn consistent, just not smooth so it can't be that far off from working.

I run 4.8 psi in my 4.70 car in the heat. I have ran as high as 5.5 psi in colder months. That combo weighs right at 2000 lbs and 60' at 1.08-1.09 in the heat. The heavier the combo the more air pressure you have to run. I know of a couple guys that have 4.50 combos that weigh 2050-2150 lbs. They are running 5.5-5.0 psi even going 4.50s.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which bubba's? I get well over 200 runs on big bubba's and they still print slips. .960 to 1.02 60's depending on the tune up.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My fast car in cold weather goes high 4.20s-low 4.30s and I run 4.5 psi at that time. That's if the high temps are never out of the 50s. In the middle of Summer with highs near 100 I ran 3.8 psi and went about 4.42-4.43. Now weight of combo plays a big factor in this as well. My setup is 1880-1900 lbs. The lighter your setup the less you have to run to compensate otherwise it will quiver at the lockup of converter.

Although it works for you, If you have to run 3.8lbs of air pressure, I have to say you are running the wrong tire for your combo..

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which bubba's? I get well over 200 runs on big bubba's and they still print slips. .960 to 1.02 60's depending on the tune up.

I have ran the 3195s and 3197s. Neither can hold up long with my setup with the weight of my combo. My brother's setup is 1780lbs and he can get almost 200 runs as well. I used to get more runs out of a set when I ran TD and smaller events but for some reason when u start putting 25-40 runs on them in 5 days then do it again a few days later they just will not hold up as long.
If anyone has a setup that goes 4.20s-4.40s and the total weight of combination is around 1900 plus then the Bubba tire will not hold up as long as the C1550.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

comon bro
Laughing Hard

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have ran the 3195s and 3197s. Neither can hold up long with my setup with the weight of my combo. My brother's setup is 1780lbs and he can get almost 200 runs as well. I used to get more runs out of a set when I ran TD and smaller events but for some reason when u start putting 25-40 runs on them in 5 days then do it again a few days later they just will not hold up as long.
If anyone has a setup that goes 4.20s-4.40s and the total weight of combination is around 1900 plus then the Bubba tire will not hold up as long as the C1550.

Camron

I'd say it's more than that to the game, I know of a combo over 2000lbs that gets over 200 runs going that fast. I'd say four link setup, rear gear and converter play a big role also.