Notify
Tools

PSA
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
Tell me again; Why did we get rid of those Cemterlines?? lol...

sad to say that my centerlines are 20++ years old and are still hanging in there. i would like to upgrade all four but the price of wheels these days keep me on what i am on.

thanks for posting this up 1290 very good catch and sharing of information. that could have got ugly real quick.

ep-the secret to wheels is to keep them covered in brake dust. mine look powder coated.

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Laughing Hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'd say keep putting broke d1ick wheels back on it if they are working that well. What could go wrong?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
400 passes would be 2-2.5 years for me. So a $1400-$1500 set of wheels every third year? That's gonna be a no for me!

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not care where they are made if they are breaking like that then I am going to choose a different style, brand or even where they are made but not going to keep doing same thing.

I do agree it is probably the side loads from turning more than wheelies.

Many of those wheels have broke and it could not just cost you a set of wheels but your whole car or even get hurt or killed.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Yea seriously thinking about having my Centerlines just Powder-coated gloss black, they're just the flat face ones and I've seen some of those that are completely gloss black that look really good and they are EXTREMELY light..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
everyone I speak to says it's not the wheelies, rather side loading of the wheels when turning. Further, their are some that think it's due to turning off the track too quickly and others that feel it's due to turning too slow or turning the wheel without rolling. It's all conjecture. Bottomline I ain't alone with this issue with this wheel and Weld is no help, to say why they are failing or making it right and it's not just this wheel.

That said, a friend of mine has the same car, the same wheel and his are 11 years old. What's not the same is he has a small block under the hood and only races S/ST so no wheelies.

I've got 1783 lbs. on the front tires/wheels

For what it's worth, due to the design of these wheels, both turning and landing from wheelies provide loads that bend parts of that wheel vs push/pull types of loads. So depending of how hard the car lands, wheelies shock loads could well exceed turn loads on the interior portion of those wheels. Either way, they are not strong enough to withstand the loads as they have proven with past failures. The geometry of a star wheel is a stronger design vs these wheels, apples to apples.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I agree and have decided to use this wheel moving forward

based on the fact that the majority of super stockers today are using this wheel or a competitor’s version of it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have Weld Alumastars on the new SST rig, mainly due to the issues with V series and Magnums. New S/ST rig ain't lite. I have seen two pairs break personally both were turning one off the track and the second in the pits. One of the cars NEVER wheelied more than an inch or two. I ran Gold Magnums on the last S/St car and never had an issue. They were purchased n 2004 and are still on that car now. It was just under 3K lbs. I think it seems to be pretty hit and miss with them. I also wondered how much of a roll brake heat plays in the outcome?

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my first pair, also purchased in 2004 when the car was built, failed 13 years later and every pass was a wheels up launch and they had somewhere around 1800 passes on them. This pair on the car since the start of 2018 had around 400 passses on them and maybe half of them were a wheels up launch before they failed.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:

sad to say that my centerlines are 20++ years old and are still hanging in there. i would like to upgrade all four but the price of wheels these days keep me on what i am on.

thanks for posting this up 1290 very good catch and sharing of information. that could have got ugly real quick.

ep-the secret to wheels is to keep them covered in brake dust. mine look powder coated.
I bet that new 100,000 dolla top sportsman is riding on new wheels….

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I agree and have decided to use this wheel moving forward

based on the fact that the majority of super stockers today are using this wheel or a competitor’s version of it.

I think that is a better looking wheel anyway and does not have the reputation of breaking.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:

I bet that new 100,000 dolla top sportsman is riding on new wheels….

Kind of whomper. Front are new. Rears are rickie smith take off double bead lock bought at a smoking deal.

ep-got to save where I can

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Ed. FTD could have custom engraved them for you with 1320racer on them and you would have been supporting an American Company too. But hey you've only broken 2 sets, I see why you went back.

SL...

Posts: 2104 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just a gratuitous picture post. But here is my new S/ST ride we currently are changing from show pooch to racecar. With the aforementioned Alumatars

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al nice looking truck, wheel looks good on it.

Scott, ALL the companies I support, whose parts are used on my race cars are American companies, Weld and your’s are two of them. Further, Weld is an NHRA contingency sponsor too who has sent us checks.

That said, 1320racer only exists in the minds and hearts of those posting here.

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
We certainly appreciate the business Ed. American Company and Made in USA are 2 different things.

SL...

Posts: 2104 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I agree and my Weld wheels are made in the USA.