New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
check your front wheels regularly and avoid a disaster!

This is my 2nd pair of Weld Magnums that have cracked and I know the V series wheels fail two...

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wow! How old are the wheels? Whats Weld have to say?

Posts: 198 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just can't get quality aluminum like the "old Days"..LOL. Nice catch, safety-wise though. Thanks for sharing, it might save a car for someone!!

Great idea to look at the wheels and then "how long have your rear wheel studs been taking abuse"??

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
HS. First i have even heard or seen of this. I have the older Golds. Hard to tell in pic. Is that off the car or the dragster? I know on my rears, i stay on top of the torque on the centers.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So the wheels were purchased in 2017 after the previous pair cracked and the RF came off the car as I was turning into my pit space. This pair have been on the car since the start of the 2018 season in which the Firebird was parked by May of that year. I’d guess they have 400 passes on them. Spoke to Weld back in 2017 and they only warranty them for 30 days. This is a well known issue at least amongst class racers.

I bought another pair. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you go with a different wheel if you've already had them crack on separate occasions and is a known issue?

I wouldn't have them on my car, JS.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Im not aware of a comprable wheel that doesn't crack in this application. Bogart wheels also have a well known history of bending and cracking too.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I know someone with a bracket door car that has had 2 sets of Weld Magnums crack. I think he switched to a MT wheel but not 100% positive

Posts: 2438 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
as far as I know, MT stopped building at least lite weight drag front wheels years ago because they were bending,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Racestar? Not the cheap ones of course......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this Ed.

I will look closely at mine when I have them off to polish them.

1.34 9.42@ 142.41 1.29 5.97 @ 114.00 @ #3251 Better in 2022
427 BBC by S&S Speed Center, AFD, Enderle MFI by Spud Miller
Trackside Products, Sepanek Racing T400, Dynamic converter, Autoweld, Santhuff, Smith Racecraft,
His real name is Richard but they call it "**** Fords Body Shop"

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Racestar? Not the cheap ones of course......

Racestar wheels are 100% forged and manufactured in China to their specs. That came right from their mouth when I asked them. Nice looking wheels but sorry I will pass

Posts: 2438 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
me too and not sorry!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
now thinking about trying this wheel which many in Super Stock run...

not yet aware of cracking/failure issues with it.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed,,

Like I told you at the track, those wheels are scary! All these wheel co's have a CAD guy drawing up cool looking wheels with no regard to the structural workings of the wheel. Your last post, that wheel is much better!

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Maybe weight causing it? I have 10+ year old Weld Magnums all the way around on both cars with no issues. Both of my cars have less than 1200#s on the frontend though and don't pull big wheelies. My roadster has the fronts powder coated which is an issue at times, I've read. I'd really like to know what your thoughts are on the cause.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Just dawned on me, all my fronts are spindle mounts also, so they may have more material in the center.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
everyone I speak to says it's not the wheelies, rather side loading of the wheels when turning. Further, their are some that think it's due to turning off the track too quickly and others that feel it's due to turning too slow or turning the wheel without rolling. It's all conjecture. Bottomline I ain't alone with this issue with this wheel and Weld is no help, to say why they are failing or making it right and it's not just this wheel.

That said, a friend of mine has the same car, the same wheel and his are 11 years old. What's not the same is he has a small block under the hood and only races S/ST so no wheelies.

I've got 1783 lbs. on the front tires/wheels

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Lots of people switching to RC Comps that broke their weld wheels and have nothing but good things to say...

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I suspect they too are made in china as there is no statement that they are made in the USA.