Find
Notify
Tools

OLD White Trailer
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
So in Jan of 2020 I went to buy a new 34 foot bathroom package trailer checkbook in hand. They did not have one with options I wanted and only one I found close to what I wanted was Black. I simply do not want a black trailer in Texas heat. If it was exactly as I wanted except color I would have picked it up anyway. As I was looking for trailer we were going through the Covid stuff and prices more than doubled for the trailer I wanted so I did not order one. Plus they were saying 58 weeks for delivery. Did not want to buy something that was not really what I wanted or have to wait a year and pay too much for the one I did want.
Now the economy has really went down and the future of racing does not look good. While I could afford anything I want I just did not see spending that much with our racing future in doubt plus I am getting old and may not want to even race in a few years. I got this trailer from California and I think because they do not have many places to race now so cars and trailers are going up for sale some of which are good deals.
So I bought a cheap OLD 44 gooseneck type trailer and going to remodel it. Not a show trailer and needs some work inside. Even new trailers you get are really not insulated well and hard to cool in the heat.
This way I will get what I want and not have much money in it if bottom falls out of our sport. What money I have in this I can afford to lose no problem. And I am not trying to impress anyone with it. What I am doing is I have ripped out all of the interior in living area and insulated it with 3 full inches of foam, roof and sides. I will put same under the floor when I get to that part.
Will have a shower, hot water and full size bed, couch that folds out into bed, built in refrigerator, microwave and cabinets. Ordering a mini split air conditioning and doing the walls in white board to be bright and easy to clean. It will have a large shop portion and the living part will be relatively small. No full bathroom. Shower and a honey bucket for an emergency. The shop portion I have laid out so I can quickly and easily load everything I want and have room for all of my spare parts etc. All of the lights are being taken out and replaced with LED. Doing things like fuel jug rack that is 3 wide and 3 rows tall so I can carry a lot and not use much floor space. I will have room to work on the car in the trailer if I need to and plenty of work space.

The body on the old girl is pretty good shape and roof is good. There are a few small scratches and paint needs waxed. I will have to scrape the old seal off roof and replace it but that is not a big deal.

It is going to be fairly cheap and basic yet have everything I want. I will be able to race all day and stay cool. Load up after race, get a shower and go to sleep in comfort then pull out in the morning to drive home instead of trying to drive all night. Will not have to leave car outside overnight to sleep in trailer. Just make it more comfortable and fun. So I welcome anyone's pictures or suggestions here and I will try to keep you informed as I build it if you want.

Overall pretty good project like I need more work....... Right now working on 4 race cars, two trucks and two trailers. Good thing is I can put everything inside my shop and work in air Conditioning. That is a blessing.

I had mentioned in another post that I was remodeling one and several people asked me about it so here you go.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4244 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Inside was UGLY and not insulated or laid out like I wanted. Rip that shyt out and do it right.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4244 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i like it. just needs some love.

ep-post up the pics as you go

Posts: 776 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Cool project.
Going to have a generator on board?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1816 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Regardless what some think the newest latest and greatest is not always right choice.

If you can make it fit your needs and for price you comfortable with. I say go for it.

I bought mine new. Had deal on white aluminum which I did inside with, Carpet 3 ft high and some rails and I am happy with it. May not fit others taste but then they did not pay for it.

Looks like good project with good base to work off of.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
i like it. just needs some love.

ep-post up the pics as you go

Lol, it needs lots of love but I can do it.

As for the Generator I am not sure right now. I am actually leaning toward leaving generator in truck since it usually stays in my shop or under car port beside my house. Should I mount it in the trailer it will have to be very well insulated for noise and allow fresh air to circulate and easy to fill with gas.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
This is where the built in stuff will be. Refrigerator, microwave, shower, cabinets etc.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
This is where the couch / fold out bed goes under the window. Up in front is where the full size bed goes. Mini split air conditioner will be on front of trailer over the bed and the condenser unit for it will be mounted on the goosneck part outside.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Looks like your got a good start on this project. Knowng how you have done with your pass projects you will have a very nice trailer when your done . Keep us informed your progress. Nick

clapping

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just saying, natural light and air flow is nice. Maybe add a street side window while it be easier now in living quarters.

Also depending on how you're going to use it, I'd want the generator to run the AC in trailer if going out for dinner or supplies in the truck. Not sure if you are talking about portable generator in the back of truck.

Good luck with it.

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Where did you source the aluminum interior sheet? I sure like the led strips I used for 110v lighting in my trailer. Lots of light....probably too much.

This has been my first experience with a gooseneck, and I really like it. I intend to sell my pusher at this point. Mine is only 44' and no LQ, but even at 17k lbs with both cars in, my 3/4 ton gas silverado is handling it WAY better than I anticipated. I am considering maybe going backward in years to a late 90's dually 454 to replace my 6.0

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6449 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Nice Job COWT!
There’s three guys ( Curly, Bucky and myself that have undergone major trailer rebuilds. Probably more that I am not aware of. It’s a ton of work but way worth it. Went to Sonoma last Sunday/ Monday. It’s turned out better than I expected. I bought a Queen blow up bed and was very surprised. The old dually tows it really well.

Hats off guys!!

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4629 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Bucky, on the inside it is not aluminum it is that white composite panel like dry erase board? Pretty cheap, easy to use and bright. I am using the round LED lights in living quarters and I also have 6 small 12 volt LED lights in there. I have 4 of the LED strip lights that I may use in shop portion in addition to some round LED. Been using a gooseneck trailer for almost a year now and really like the way it pulls. Does not move around at all in wind and rain. This new (OLD) one should work well for my needs.

And I am not building it for a show trailer just one that is able to do everything I need and work good. One of the last races last season I had both my cars in the Final and did not get home until 7:30 in the morning. Now I can sleep a while and then head home instead of pulling an all nighter.

M120- on the street side I will have the shower, refrigerator, microwave and some cabinets. Not enough room for a window there.

As for where I am going to put generator right now I do not know. I am going to lay everything out and then make that decision. If I build it in I want it quiet, easy to fuel and service and enough air flow around it to keep it relatively cool. I am doing the living quarters area first and then will finish out the shop part. For the shop part my priorities are quick, easy to load and plenty of room to work on car inside if needed and a place for all my tools and spare parts.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and if you have any ideas or pictures of your builds post them. I would like to see them. Not going to say it is fun but it is kind of cool to build it like I want.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Nice Job COWT!
There’s three guys ( Curly, Bucky and myself that have undergone major trailer rebuilds. Probably more that I am not aware of. It’s a ton of work but way worth it. Went to Sonoma last Sunday/ Monday. It’s turned out better than I expected. I bought a Queen blow up bed and was very surprised. The old dually tows it really well.

Hats off guys!!

I was reading fast and saw you bought a queen blow up! Whew! Glad I read again!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6449 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Nice Job COWT!

Hats off guys!!

I was reading fast and saw you bought a queen blow up! Whew! Glad I read again!

My road partner? Lmao! Shake head
No I haven’t sunken that low..

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4629 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I like the project, except for the honey bucket deal & I'm following the thread!

2BKING
clapping

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2759 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I like the project, except for the honey bucket deal & I'm following the thread!

2BKING
clapping

I thought about it a long time and I just do not need the toilet that often and want all the floor space I can get for the shop portion.

Hope I never have to use it but I have plastic bags, foam pool noodle cushion on it and toilet paper. It will work for an emergency.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Found this by a fluke years ago. One owner, custom built. Ya its an older one 2003 classic. $12K. Just last week. Was looking up compatible on size and amenities. It was one of those moments "Holy Balls on prices. This works just fine for my needs.

Keeping up with the Jones. Nope. You know what they say. Penny wise and dollar foolish. Curly, it will all come together. Congrats...

Just a couple Mods

Posts: 1415 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Found this by a fluke years ago. One owner, custom built. Ya its an older one 2003 classic. $12K. Just last week. Was looking up compatible on size and amenities. It was one of those moments "Holy Balls on prices. This works just fine for my needs.

Keeping up with the Jones. Nope. You know what they say. Penny wise and dollar foolish. Curly, it will all come together. Congrats...

Just a couple Mods

That looks really nice! It appears much nicer than mine. The shop has lots of cabinets and looks clean. You did good there.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Two dragsters and a golf cart fill up a 44’ pretty well. No room left for real living quarters. One of the being a shorty would buy a good amount of room particularly if we hung the nose of one. But the two long cars fit fine.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo