DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Electric Vehicles Bracket Racing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric Vehicles Bracket Racing
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Kind of the same situation with electric jr dragsters. The normal jr engines seem to be very temperamental, electric not so much. Prime example last race it was very cold and most of the jr dragsters were having issues, electric car just zips on down. Now the young man that runs it is plenty good on the tree and finish line, but the electric car can have a huge advantage in some conditions.

Maybe all the jr's should be electric and level the playing field so kids race kids, and not kids racing Daddy's wallets. Maybe the parents will teach their kids to play fairly rather, than the insanity that the jr's parents have created.

Can you elaborate? Remember also that the jr electric powerplants are about three times as expensive as the IC versions.

Crazy electric motors are $$$ But let's say golf cart electric motors. They started off jr racing with lawnmower engines, before Daddy went crazy...Right?

I'm not sure how anyone went crazy. The age/speed classifications have been what they are for two decades with the exception of adding the youngest class. Yes you can find outlaw jr racing here and there. And the participation is very limited. For the most part the general rules and the general speeds have not changed. What are you referring to?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6402 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The hatred for electric vehicles came as fast or faster than the hatred for delay boxes and dragsters in bracket racing. The thing that surprised me is that they are getting banned even before anybody started doing any substantial winning with them. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Kind of the same situation with electric jr dragsters. The normal jr engines seem to be very temperamental, electric not so much. Prime example last race it was very cold and most of the jr dragsters were having issues, electric car just zips on down. Now the young man that runs it is plenty good on the tree and finish line, but the electric car can have a huge advantage in some conditions.

Maybe all the jr's should be electric and level the playing field so kids race kids, and not kids racing Daddy's wallets. Maybe the parents will teach their kids to play fairly rather, than the insanity that the jr's parents have created.

Can you elaborate? Remember also that the jr electric powerplants are about three times as expensive as the IC versions.

Crazy electric motors are $$$ But let's say golf cart electric motors. They started off jr racing with lawnmower engines, before Daddy went crazy...Right?

I'm not sure how anyone went crazy. The age/speed classifications have been what they are for two decades with the exception of adding the youngest class. Yes you can find outlaw jr racing here and there. And the participation is very limited. For the most part the general rules and the general speeds have not changed. What are you referring to?

I think it is actually an interesting point. No, not mandating electric Jrs.... but the fact that a golf cart motor could be used and could be pretty cheap. I had never really thought about it.

Hell... why cant a kid enter a golf cart with a "cage" in Jrs? Electrics can be had pretty cheap... until the lift kit, speed controller, chip, etc gets added.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

$5k billet engines $12k or more used turn key jr's
Kind of like having 1300 hp to run 8.90...Oh yea we already do that.
Kids learning that the wallet is the most important part of racing...if you want to be competitive.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

$5k billet engines $12k or more used turn key jr's
Kind of like having 1300 hp to run 8.90...Oh yea we already do that.
Kids learning that the wallet is the most important part of racing...if you want to be competitive.

You can blame all of that on the sanctioning bodies. It would be a lot cheaper to run ohv engines in jrs, but they aren't allowed. The billet engines are run because that's the only way to reliably go 7.90 with the old engine design. As far as what the cars cost.....well they cost what they cost. Used cars are cheaper. Used engines are cheaper. We have never run a new engine, and do all of our rebuilds. 4 championships in the last four years at three different tracks. We don't have a ton of money in anything, and the jr slide in next to my dragster in the trailer.

To HG's point, I really wouldn't have an issue with any style vehicle to compete in jr's other than the safety part. 85 mph in a golf cart might be somewhat sketchy. And a crash involving one and a traditional jr could end poorly. There are $1k jr's everywhere. They are old pos's. But if you want to get into it cheap, it is possible.

Trust me. We never won a championship because of the car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6402 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Agreed,

If NHRA allowed the Jr's to run 450 dirt bike/quad engines, they'd have atleast 50 HP in stock form. Pretty much able to run whatever ET you want reliably forever.

I don't see any issue whatsoever with them allowing this. If they truly wanted more participation, this is where they'd start.

Don't forget, the next John Force more than likely doesn't have a drivers license right now!

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Agreed holytown.
I don't know how some have taken a conversation about electric vehicles, and made it about how much others spend on classes they have never been involved in. And somehow being critical about those choices. It's like the damn vaccine deal. Some are critical of these who don't get it, and others critical of those who do. How about STFU and let people do what they choose with their money and their bodies?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Agreed,

If NHRA allowed the Jr's to run 450 dirt bike/quad engines, they'd have atleast 50 HP in stock form. Pretty much able to run whatever ET you want reliably forever.

I don't see any issue whatsoever with them allowing this. If they truly wanted more participation, this is where they'd start.

Don't forget, the next John Force more than likely doesn't have a drivers license right now!

Why is Jr. Dragster the only bracket class that has engine rules?
I have always thought that was some B.S., bracket racing is about run what ya brung.

The serious money is in the clutch setups.

I would really have liked to give my grandkids the opportunity to race Jr's, but I'm not going to spend $12K on a lawn mower that won't cut grass. They can just wait and race a real car, like the rest of us did.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1647 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed holytown.
I don't know how some have taken a conversation about electric vehicles, and made it about how much others spend on classes they have never been involved in. And somehow being critical about those choices. It's like the damn vaccine deal. Some are critical of these who don't get it, and others critical of those who do. How about STFU and let people do what they choose with their money and their bodies?

Sorry Bucky...I must have touched a nerve. I have seen what I have seen...Just reporting what I think. OK so I will take it your kid would win championships in an electric jr too...

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Agreed holytown.

Sorry Bucky...I must have touched a nerve. I have seen what I have seen...Just reporting what I think. OK so I will take it your kid would win championships in an electric jr too...

I imagine he would, but that's hardly the point. The point that perhaps did touch a nerve for me if I even have one, it the audacity of anyone to determine what others should or should not spend on whatever is in their lives. If they can afford it, more power to them. It's bracket racing, and they ruin nothing for others. Money doesn't win bracket races. As long as you have a car that you have worked on to be reliable and repeatable, and you can do your job on the starting line, you can win bracket races. It's really the whole point of bracket racing.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Agreed,

Why is Jr. Dragster the only bracket class that has engine rules?
I have always thought that was some B.S., bracket racing is about run what ya brung.

The serious money is in the clutch setups.

I would really have liked to give my grandkids the opportunity to race Jr's, but I'm not going to spend $12K on a lawn mower that won't cut grass. They can just wait and race a real car, like the rest of us did.

I will say that the clutch is where the performance and consistancy are either made or broken. So an investment in a good one and MAINTAINING it is key. But the best in the business is $800, and will last the life of a kid's jr career.....if you buy new. Used ones have no finite life. Everything in them is replaceable. The are basically a lifetime investment.

Another note here as well is what "running the number" means in jr racing. Maybe someone has a car out there that they can predict to .01 what it will run over the course of a day. I don't know those people. We can have half a day of predictable runs, and then one that throws us a couple numbers. Jr drag racing is, and should be where young drivers learn and understand finish line racing. And understand how much they need to hold to cover the inconstant nature of a jr.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo