DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    If the biggest bracket race was $5000?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If the biggest bracket race was $5000?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
I am retired and cost can double and I will still do whatever I want. At early retirement, we downsized to rural area so we can live quite comfortably. The current rise in cost has no real impact on our choices.

I am more concerned with impact to the next generations. I lived through the stagnant Carter years and added cost is a solid impact. I have real concerns this admin is going to have a negative impact on them.

Racing, sadly I am reaching age where I had to run only 1 day at IRR Winter Warmup due to eye doc appointment. I lost 3rd round by .005 and could not who won. Not sure I could see .005 even with good eyes.

I will continue showing up and racing. Car is old junker but solid bones and has been effective at times. No major additions but no hesitation to spend to maintain operation. I would still spend to race for plastic trophy and appreciate the priviledge to compete, even in the "Little League" level. Was -.0004 red to a fast dragster 1st round. That would have made my day, but it was still great fun.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you’re worried about how the cost of fuel at the pump might impact your decision to race then you couldn't afford to race before.

The cost of fuel per gallon will have absolutely ZERO effect on my life no mind racing and I drive over 3000 miles a month.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Kathe:

The cost of crude oil dictates our economy, the left has regularly used this diversion to steer the wealth in the direction of their personal financial interests...always have. The mandates for electric vehicles is guaranteed to make it worse and with the boneheads that are in office and if their regime remain in power, America is going to crash....and crash hard.

Under Ballsack Obama and his Federal spending I felt he was pushing us into a real Depression. As I see it the first Depression they were selling stock for businesses and the prices got way higher than they were actually worth and bottom dropped out. Lets say a business was doing $50,000 in sales a year and the value if you were to walk in and buy that company may have been $225,000. Well they sold stock on these companies and before long they had say 2 million dollars worth of stock on a business that is still only doing $50,000 a year in sales and still only worth $225,000 so the bottom fell out. It appears that is what the Democrats are trying to do to us now with the Deficit. They are making it so we can never afford to pay it and at some point the bottom has to fall out. This is non sustainable and is going to crash hard.

In my opinion if we go into a Real Depression it would be many times worse than the first whimpy one. The "Great Depression" will not be a f@rt in a 50 MPH wind compared to what is coming. Back then most everyone had 20 acres of land, they had Chickens, pigs, a few cows and they had a garden. It was not easy but they made it and survived. Now most Americans live in cities and apartments. You do not even have the opportunity to take care of your family in a real Depression. You think riots was bad last year? Wait until people are really hungry and can not feed their families. It appears that the Democrats are pushing us into the biggest Depression ever. Under Ballsack Obama I decided I was going to move out to the country where I could survive if I had to because I do not like the direction they were taking us. I now have some acres where I can hunt and grow a garden, I will be adding solar power so I am less dependent on any outside sources and cutting my living expenses. In part because I am not here to keep up with the Jones's that just does not matter to me.
Even under Trump the Deficit grew too fast but I know he was forced to because of the "Pandemic" with a 99.7% survival rate.

RAISING TAXES WILL JUST SPEED UP THE COMING DEPRESSION AND MAKE IT WORSE WHEN IT GETS HERE.

I do not care what you do if we go into another Depression you will be hurting. You work in a Restaurant? That business is going to drop like a rock. Automobile industry? They are not going to be building or selling many new cars. Housing industry? That will take a huge hit. You work in child care? People not working they are not going to pay for childcare. Even workers for straight cash will take a hit, for instance topless dancers will not make nearly as much money as they did. If people do not have money they are not going to spend it. I do not know of any business other than maybe the Government who is doing this that would benefit from a real Depression.

If we go into a real Depression then how you going to pay your electric bill? How you going to put food on the table? You going to have to depend on Government. I think that is what they want. They want to tell you what you can or can not drive. They want to tell you what you are required to put in your body, They want to take over your Healthcare and your choices there. And they want to tax heck out of you to pay for it.

It appears to me that is what the Democrats want so they can control every bit of our lives as Master. Why? They want to control you, they want to be our Masters instead of them working for us.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Talk of another depression has been going on for at least 15 years. Ain’t happened yet and I don’t worry about what I can’t control. Meanwhile my portfolio is up 24% this year and my son’s is up 42%.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
So Biden said Gas Prices were up because Economy is so good.

Biden's an idiot. While gas prices were going up as States were opening up toward the end of last year which would technically qualify as "the economy is doing better" (all things being relative), prices are going above and beyond where they should be due to Biden's disastrous energy policies.

quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
You saying Gas prices were down because Governors Destroying the Economy! Really? Think about what you just said.

Yes, that is demonstrably, absolutely 100% the case. Gas prices clearly plummeted when Governors instituted lockdowns in 2020. Demand got so low that oil was even trading in the negative for a time because they had no place to store it all. This was widely reported. What's your question exactly?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/g...oronavirus-pandemic/
quote:
In March, when prices would normally rise, governors across the U.S. began ordering businesses to close and telling workers to stay home. Being forced to shelter in place meant hardly anyone needed to fill their gas tank.

The sudden drop in demand for gas coincided with a glut of oil in the market. Oil-producing nations met in early March to discuss how much to cut oil production. Russia and Saudi Arabia disagreed, and instead of reducing, both nations increased their output. Oil prices went upside-down, plummeting to negative $40 per barrel before members finally started cutting production in mid-April.

quote:
It is not just gas prices through the roof, it is food, new cars, used cars, utilities, housing, everything is up and the only thing not going up is our PAY!

No one is arguing that. Inflation is at a 30-year high.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5735 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Starts out as a discussion about continuing to race if the biggest race was $5,000 and turns into this.
Things change, prices go up life goes on. If the cost of doing something as foolish as racing for a hobby becomes a concern then you need to reevaluate your hobby. If you don't get joy out of doing it and the money becomes the main focus why do it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eman,

Posts: 1468 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Raced 5K's this weekend 7 hours from home, paid less than $3/gal at more than one fuel stop ($2.91 lowest, $3.06 highest), and got close to 13mpg towing through the mountains.

__

Posts: 5735 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think I won one of those a long time ago, runner upped to Finchum another time. Oh well no face book and no one let me know about it.

Good job Ducky, wish I could have been there.

Posts: 6215 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I think I won one of those a long time ago, runner upped to Finchum another time. Oh well no face book and no one let me know about it.

Same weekend as its always been.

https://farmingtondragway.com/

You know where to be Thanksgiving weekend! See you soon.

__

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Good job Ducky, wish I could have been there.

All you have to do is come out of the dark ages and not wait for a promoter to send you a telegram and you won’t miss any races.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m fortunate that much of this big money bracket racing has taken off shortly after I retired. I’ve had a chance to participate at some of those events/ tracks that I would never have been able to when I was working full time because of the distance.

The local $2k- 7k races in the upper Midwest are still a favorite and affordable. But traveling to higher paying races, meeting and racing against some new racers is much fun.

My chances of winning one is slim at best because of my age, but I still have a strong desire to compete and this sport allows one to continue even when ageing.

Great Affordable race this coming weekend in NC and last one for me this year.

Posts: 2480 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Richard I'll stick to the dark ages and some promoters do send me their flyers and some post here on DRR, and I am one more paying customer at most of their races.

Mark I suppose you are referring to Anthony Walton and Micheal Beards race at Piedmont. Looks like real good weather

Posts: 6215 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Keep all receipts. I mean all receipts. If you needed silicone to reseal a window in you shop where you keep you race car. Keep track of mileage, if you live here in the north, heat for your building, etc. etc. You get 1099's from the tracks. You are required to pay tax on your winnings. Gas or Diesel is 100% cost to get you there. Entry fees 100% cost to get you in. These things are all taken of the gross of your winnings. Deprecation, fuel for the race car, oil, filters, tires, etc. Their are people that know way more than me about this stuff. Use it.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:You get 1099's from the tracks. You are required to pay tax on your winnings.

No offense, but what percentage of actual bracket race participants do you think have ever seen a 1099? And I'm being serious here. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Tom, me! Rockingham will send you a 1099 if you accumulate $500 for the year even if its $10 at a time!

Back to my original post for missing this race--my fault, I had it on my calender and due to to much other junk going on I missed it. My fault.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I used to get them when I raced. Haven't been to the track with my car since covid started though. I'll be back out in 2022, racing for t-shirts and corn at my local track.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:You get 1099's from the tracks. You are required to pay tax on your winnings.

No offense, but what percentage of actual bracket race participants do you think have ever seen a 1099? And I'm being serious here. Take care. Tom Worthington

I had several 1099's this year.
Sometimes,it was for as little as $50.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:

Um, All of us.....

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question

quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Would you sell out tomorrow or keep racing? I myself would want to continue. It is my hobby not my job.

I own two dedicated race cars but haven't raced either in four years. I did jump into someone else's car and race a big money race.

My local track (Atco dragway) used to have big money races in the '90s and they were well attended(Bill Mitchell Series). I think they was 3,000 to win on Friday, 10K on Saturday and 5K on Sunday. We'd have racers coming from Canada to come race. They aren't going to do that anymore. Everyone thinks they need to win their money back that they put into their hobby.

I know plenty that one more money than what their car and trailer are worth and I'm one of them.
I also know more that probably spent way too much money for return on the so-called investment.

I used to race a gamblers race on Tuesday nights at Atco that paid $500 to win but I'm around the corner and it's more time in the seat so why not.

I've also driven to Cecil county to win $750 which is roughly 2 hours drive away from me, passing Atco dragway which is four minutes away.

All prices go up, nothing is getting cheaper. I remember paying $400 for a pair of slicks. Those days are over. So if I win a race I'd at least like the a pair of slicks out of it.

Maybe 2022 will be my year and Atco dragway will have a new owner! It's also difficult having a son that plays every sport under the sun but only likes going to the races and not participating. I can't see me putting out the money for a junior dragster if he can only do it once or twice a year.
In Fair reporting, I as many racers locally are banned from Atco dragway by Len Capone (owner).

In closing, I'll race for less than $5,000 but I'm not going to race for a trophy. I think I went off on a couple tangents but I'll own everything I say.

I also got a new phone and it's smaller than my other one so it's hard to type so now I use the microphone thing so now I talk too much!!!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hell, for me $5K IS a big money race. Big Grin

Posts: 73 | Location: park forest, il | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post