DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    If the biggest bracket race was $5000?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If the biggest bracket race was $5000?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Curly,
That's one of my things too. We annually go to a higher dollar (for jr's) jr race. Last year Friday's race finished up at 5:00 am. Hell we were foggy from the long drive that morning and a day of racing at midnight. We all kinda agreed that another 5 hours of racing wasn't going to be "more fun" that day.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6423 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The bracket race I attended this weekend had 95Jrs. Paid $1000 to win each day. JRs!!!!

You like to race?. I ran my first drag race in 1957--I ran my last drag race TODAY. I won 1 round. I started before there were any bracket races and have raced for nothing as well as some big money races. I never cared as much for the money as I did for the occasion and I never raced anything I couldn't afford. Many on here have known me for a long time others not so long but trust me I call them like I see them. My friends are at the race track, I have no other hobbies. Sure I'll race for $5000, why not.

Posts: 6221 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 60 falcon
posted Hide Post
Wait we can win money?

sammy mathis

Posts: 67 | Location: iowa park, texas | Registered: October 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 60 falcon:
Wait we can win money?

It could happen. Lol

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4069 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't worry much about the payout, but I'm not going to order an 80k pipe rack either. Different strokes for different folks.

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Goes to show you that this is bracket talk and not Big Buck racing forum! Haha

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm just over here happy if I get in the money at all!!!!

I'd venture to say alot of people would have more fun paying less entry and racing for less money, simply because it is less of a burden on them and their family life.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

I'd venture to say alot of people would have more fun paying less entry and racing for less money, simply because it is less of a burden on them and their family life.

Who are all of these people who aren't having any fun. Looking at all of the 350 to 450 plus cars all of the big money races people must be miserable. If you aren't having fun racing that's your own fault. Maybe you guys that aren't should find another hobby.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
If your racing your having a great time ! Some of us just don’t want to race 4 or 5 Big Buck events as that’s a lot of cash which does not appeal to many. As years go by I seem to be traveling less and less, but still race 20 races a year and still have a lot of fun . I love competing and will continue with my program, As I hoped Big Buck guys as local racers continue to have a great time.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If you won't race for a trophy, you ain't really a racer.

I support any racing that is run square up. Payout is of no concern to me.

I liked going to the bigger $$$ races to run fast dragsters, but that's all screwy now.... Roll Eyes

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1707 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I race to win. I go to work to make a living.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
If you won't race for a trophy, you ain't really a racer.

I support any racing that is run square up. Payout is of no concern to me.

I liked going to the bigger $$$ races to run fast dragsters, but that's all screwy now.... Roll Eyes

I didn’t bust my ass building my race car to race it for trophies. I have plenty of those when I raced BMX. I race for money be it 1000 dollars or a million. It makes no difference to me. But I won’t race for no lousy trophy but that’s just me.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

Who are all of these people who aren't having any fun. Looking at all of the 350 to 450 plus cars all of the big money races people must be miserable. If you aren't having fun racing that's your own fault. Maybe you guys that aren't should find another hobby.

Never said they weren't having fun. Said "I'd venture to say alot of people would have more fun"

To each his own. If I money to enter the big races I'd do it too. However, there are always many more people with 20 dollar bills than there are with 100 dollar bills in the wallet.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
As I previously stated, I will run for a trophy. That may or may not be true for everyone. I am old and retired so money is not a restriction on doing pretty much anything.

Money spent racing is fun money now. I love the fact that the best package wins regardless of investment and have had enough luck to remove higher dollar stuff from competition. I do not care about house cars or anything else. When my car behaves and I am not having senior moment I am happy. When things do not go good the challenge of figuring out whats wrong keeps my mind occupied. Racing is recreation and a challenge.

At this point in time I am happy to have privilege to compete. I love competition.

Posts: 3083 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Muggs I am just happy to be there. Shame when you can't race unless it pays a million---and who has ever paid a million or won a million? Even the ones that paid the winner did not get that much. I have raced the big races in the past and even got some of the money but have more fun at a local track not dodging the traveling hitters and seeing my friends.

Posts: 6221 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I will not run for just a trophy and I do not enjoy or want to run the big money races.

I base my decision on where to race on several things. In another post I said why I do not enjoy the large big money races.

1. I am not going to tow for 6, 8 or 10 hours each way unless it is a once in a lifetime opportunity like Bracket Finals.

2. Payout, I want them to have a good payout for the car count. There was a bracket track around here that was bringing in around $40,000 a weekend for bracket racing but only paid out about $4,000 total. That did not last long before myself and most everyone else said there is no return on that investment of time and money. One guy I know spent $150 to enter the race and got runner up and I think he won $123 dollars. He said same thing rest of us did. Forget them. Then they got mad when everyone quit showing up for the "Race" or track Donation program. Want the track to make money but they have to give a decent payout for the car count. If they have 75 cars and buybacks and or Double entries they better have a good payout. To pay $1250 to win a race like that is not going to cut it.

3. I want a fairly safe and decent track. What we do can be dangerous and I understand that. They must have good safety precautions. Also there is one track around here that I will not go back to it is so rough it beats up your car and destroys your oil pan and I am just not going back there.

4. Money or Trophies, I expect for the winner to at least make more than enough money to cover that day of racing. Not expecting to make enough money to retire on. No I am not racing for the money but I am not going to spend $300 to race one day for the winner to get a cute little $5 trophy. I do like the Trophies and they are a souvenir we keep for many years long after the money is gone. So they do have some value of course but if all we are getting is a cute little Trophy you start with out me because I wont be there.

5. Then there are some peripheral things I base my decision on. There was one track around here that had the nastiest restrooms ever. They had started catering to a certain ghetto run what you brung crowd and those people actually pooped in the floor and somehow pooped on the walls? Animals. Plus it got to where you had to lock your trailer and truck up to go to the staging lanes and when you got back someone had moved your stuff and parked their car with 24's and alarm in your spot. Guess what? People quit going there to. If you have to lock everything up or have someone stay there to protect your stuff and parking spot you do not need to be there.

Bottom line is I do this for fun and throwing money away is not fun. I do not win every race, nobody does and I guess if you won every race it would become boring and lose the challenge. It has to be hard to win and some reward for those who win or it is not worth much.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4069 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One other thing I do not like about Big money races is the top heavy pay out to make it sound impressive. For me to consider it I would want a better payout further back.

Maybe I should not say anything because I do not race or enjoy them but that is one of the reasons.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Muggs I am just happy to be there. Shame when you can't race unless it pays a million---and who has ever paid a million or won a million? Even the ones that paid the winner did not get that much. I have raced the big races in the past and even got some of the money but have more fun at a local track not dodging the traveling hitters and seeing my friends.

Big races multiple entry's. Multiple buybacks.

Small races one entry. One buyback.

Which takes more skill?

Which is a numbers game (gambling) and which is skill?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Seven rounds one entry, one buyback.

Ten rounds three entry's, three buybacks.

Which takes more skill?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No one is forcing any of you to race big money races. Do whatever makes you happy. If you don’t like them then don’t go. But don’t complain when all the other people going are having fun doing it. That’s their decision.