DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    If the biggest bracket race was $5000?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If the biggest bracket race was $5000?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Payout is nice, fair entry fee is nicer and if there are buybacks keep them reasonable. I can enjoy a Friday night test and tune with a $20 gamblers race.

Same!

I really like gamblers races. I feel like it puts the poor man and the rich man on the same level. Single entry, no buy backs!

Although, I like the gamblers to be 50-100 entry fees to get enough money in it to be worth splitting at 4-8 cars or so.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Gamblers races around here usually have buy backs, shootouts don't.
From the title of this discussion I figure it's mostly for delay box racers. Footbrake or no box around here race for $800 or 80% of entry fees. Last week total purse in no box was $725 and after that race they had a $20 entry race with $10 buy backs.

Posts: 1490 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Would you sell out tomorrow or keep racing? I myself would want to continue. It is my hobby not my job.

I think the bigger question we will all have to ask ourselves very soon is can we afford to keep racing at all?

Gas is double and will probably end up 4 times more under Dictator Biden than it was under President Trump. As car counts go down so will pay out at all levels of racing. Hotels around here have doubled in price, food is way up as is everything else. Car parts like shaft rockers that used to take 5 days to get now takes up to 5 months under Dictator Biden.

So lets just say it took you $250 to race one day and pay out was $1500. Soon it may take you $575 to race and the car count is down and pat out is down to $1,000 or even $750. You going to continue to race?

While I agree with Ed that I do not race to put food on the table or a roof over my head, I do consider the cost to race for the potential to win.

At some point as cost of racing goes up and potential payout goes down we will all reach a point where it is no longer viable or fun to race. I think with gas prices and everything else we are headed that direction and picking up speed.

Back to original question I always consider payout, car count and cost to race in part of the decision where I race. I would hate to see the big money races to go away even though I have no desire to run them any more.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4069 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
think the bigger question we will all have to ask ourselves very soon is can we afford to keep racing at all?

I'm going to go even bigger picture than you did. In the grand scheme of things, I budget fun money along with regular household expenses, and savings put back as well. EVERYTHING is going up, and will stay up. We may have "hyperinflation" to look forward to next year as well it sounds like. I can't speak for others....but my income isn't going up 30% this year to keep pace. So if I want to continue saving at the same rate, I have to knock down the fun money. I'm starting with knocking out the travel, and the q16 races. But geeze it could get more than that. At least we all have the means to have these expensive hobbies that we can cut first out of our budgets. What are other folks cutting?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6423 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It is possible for the costs to enter to get so high that I would have to quit. However, it is not possible for the purses to get so low that I would quit.

By the way, have you noticed how popular and profitable (for the track operator) test and tune sessions are? And yet, there is no chance of winning a purse from the track. And they seem to leave happy and anxious to get back at it the next week. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1241 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Gas is double and will probably end up 4 times more under Dictator Biden than it was under President Trump.

The national average for gas in May 2018 was $2.98
The national average for gas in May 2019 was $2.94
The national average for gas in Oct 2021 was $3.38

This is nowhere NEAR "double", and suggesting that gas is going to be $12/gal is patently ridiculous.

And despite how popular it is to use pandemic crash numbers to make a political point, it remains intellectually dishonest. The abnormal and artificially low gas prices last year were the direct result of Governors locking down their States, crashing the economy, and destroying demand -- everyone knows this.

"Typical" national average numbers pre-pandemic floated around $2.60, so you could reasonably say gas is up about 30%.

Biden is an incompetent imbecile with destructive policies, but our arguments against him should still be comprised of honest, rational points.

Yes, gas prices suck. Yes, gas prices are probably going to get worse before they get better.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5738 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Gas was $1.49 the day after Dictator Biden was "Elected" / Selected and today is was $3.19 a gallon. That is actually more than double by my calculations and I think it is going to go way higher, maybe over $10.00 a gallon. They have openly said they want all of the gas and oil companies to go Bankrupt and out of business.

Plus we are not even talking about the per mile TAX the Biden Regime wants to stick up us.

And gas prices will not get any better until Dictator Biden and the Democrats are gone.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4069 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Have friends that circle track. Back when gas went high last time the track operator proposed racing every other week because of gas expenses. The racers laughed at him, racers will race if they have to use a mule to pull the race car to the track. Gas prices or the sky falling won't matter to racers.

Posts: 1490 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Curly didn't that mileage tax pass in that bill last week? Rinoes got it done for that snake in the white house.

Posts: 6221 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Curly didn't that mileage tax pass in that bill last week? Rinoes got it done for that snake in the white house.

I do not know exactly what all is in that bill and we probably wont know until they got it all the way up in us.

The problem is before the people figure out what the problem is it may be too late and the Government have too much power to do anything about it. That and many are just bending over and saying give it to them because Big Brother told them it was good.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

Supposedly, what is in the bill is simply funding a study to see how such a tax would impact people.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6423 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not know exactly what all is in that bill

H.R.3684 - Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act

__

Posts: 5738 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ducky here where I live gas was $1.97. Today it is $3.39. Thats a pretty good jump. You need to check what it is in Wythville on your way down next week. Don't know about gas but Diesel was $3.49 there when I came back from the WFC in July. I filled the motor home a couple of days ago here and diesel was $3.54

Posts: 6221 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ducky here where I live gas was $1.97. Today it is $3.39. Thats a pretty good jump.

Yes, gas was ridiculously cheap last year. This was already addressed above. I don't know how people keep completely ignoring the fact that gas was cheap because of governors destroying the economy during the pandemic.

quote:
You need to check what it is in Wythville on your way down next week. Don't know about gas but Diesel was $3.49 there when I came back from the WFC in July. I filled the motor home a couple of days ago here and diesel was $3.54

Gas is $3.19 in Wytheville right now. You can check gas prices any time on Gas Buddy $2.99 at the Circle K in Bland. A Speedway in Elkin has it for $2.97. Got my stops planned! Thanks.

__

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:

Yes, gas was ridiculously cheap last year. This was already addressed above. I don't know how people keep completely ignoring the fact that gas was cheap because of governors destroying the economy during the pandemic.

So Biden said Gas Prices were up because Economy is so good.

You saying Gas prices were down because Governors Destroying the Economy! Really? Think about what you just said. It is not just gas prices through the roof, it is food, new cars, used cars, utilities, housing, everything is up and the only thing not going up is our PAY!

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

So Biden said Gas Prices were up because Economy is so good.

You saying Gas prices were down because Governors Destroying the Economy! Really? Think about what you just said. It is not just gas prices through the roof, it is food, new cars, used cars, utilities, housing, everything is up and the only thing not going up is our PAY!

YEP

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4481 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the only thing not going up is our PAY!

SS increase of 5.9% in 2022

Posts: 2510 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Ducky here where I live gas was $1.97. Today it is $3.39. Thats a pretty good jump.

quote:
You need to check what it is in Wythville on your way down next week. Don't know about gas but Diesel was $3.49 there when I came back from the WFC in July. I filled the motor home a couple of days ago here and diesel was $3.54

Gas is $3.19 in Wytheville right now. You can check gas prices any time on Gas Buddy $2.99 at the Circle K in Bland. A Speedway in Elkin has it for $2.97. Got my stops planned! Thanks.
the entire 4 years Trump was in office, gas was between 2.15 and 2.35 a gallon in northern California. The second biden took office it went up, and is now 4.35 at minimum.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Gas is $3.19 in Wytheville right now. You can check gas prices any time on Gas Buddy $2.99 at the Circle K in Bland. A Speedway in Elkin has it for $2.97. Got my stops planned! Thanks.[/QUOTE] the entire 4 years Trump was in office, gas was between 2.15 and 2.35 a gallon in northern California. The second biden took office it went up, and is now 4.35 at minimum.[/QUOTE]

It was announced on the national news just last night that since October of last year, gas prices rose 50%. Keep in mind, the prices were somewhat stable until middle March. Price of fuel was dropping well before the pandemic, so......

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
I should add they also identified the fact the prices are higher now than in the past 7 years. I think expectations would blame the pandemic, but data indicates its not. Additionally, what is not considered is the inflation rates. When considering that, the cost of fuel balanced against the spending power of the dollar was even decreasing until the change in office.

Something my economics professor said that is extremely simple in concept that has always resonated with me; "Its not how much money you make, its how you spend it"

The cost of crude oil dictates our economy, the left has regularly used this diversion to steer the wealth in the direction of their personal financial interests...always have. The mandates for electric vehicles is guaranteed to make it worse and with the boneheads that are in office and if their regime remain in power, America is going to crash....and crash hard.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post