Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
Good morning everyone,I finally get a me day. Time to drag the trailer to the shop and unload the pipe rack for some maintenance. My time is starting to run out on me before I head south to start this season. Enjoy your day.

Finally unloading mine into garage.. Just ordered 18 yards of asphalt grindings.
That does remind me that I need to order more rock and gravel for outside my gate. I have a wide area where I can pull the trailer into to get off the road but unfortunately everyone else thinks it is there turn around spot. It is starting to get a few small pot holes. Time to fill them again.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
No rest for the weary, Moe and Barry. My horizontal cell phone tower is all apart, trailer needs "stuff" done to it, etc, etc. Luckly for me my first race isn't until April, but I need to test before that and I feel the time slipping away.
Hurry Up

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Good morning everyone,I finally get a me day. Time to drag the trailer to the shop and unload the pipe rack for some maintenance. My time is starting to run out on me before I head south to start this season. Enjoy your day.

Finally unloading mine into garage.. Just ordered 18 yards of asphalt grindings.
That does remind me that I need to order more rock and gravel for outside my gate. I have a wide area where I can pull the trailer into to get off the road but unfortunately everyone else thinks it is there turn around spot. It is starting to get a few small pot holes. Time to fill them again.

Whew! Marathon... Calling my wife; Sgt Slaughter!! She brutal!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4514 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
...... Just ordered 18 yards of asphalt grindings.

Guess you can get away with that out there ........ my snowplow guy keeps shoving mine into the grass.

Confused

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
No rest for the weary, Moe and Barry. My horizontal cell phone tower is all apart, trailer needs "stuff" done to it, etc, etc. Luckly for me my first race isn't until April, but I need to test before that and I feel the time slipping away.
Hurry Up

I'm in the same boat. Only difference is if it's not -10 it's snowing.

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Moe, Brian..anybody else....Finally back to working on the 91 Suburban again today. Got the laptop hooked up to it and looking at the live data, I am really confused.
The engine is running very rich with rough idle. The IAC coils are constantly cycling, as is rich/lean condition.

The Engine Temperature is showing correctly at 196 degrees but the coolant temperature sensor is reporting 92 degrees.

CTS is new and changes resistance when heated and cooled. Voltage sense line from the ECU goes to 5.04 volts when disconnected and drops to 1.1 volts with a 100 ohm resistor plugged into the connector. I grabbed a bunch of different value resistors to make sure the ECU line was changing voltage as the resistance increased or decreased. All indications and measurements point to the new CTS sensor not going low enough in resistance when warm.

Any and all ideas welcome. I also saved about a minutes worth of data showing all of the sensor values.

Joe

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
Moe, Brian..anybody else....Finally back to working on the 91 Suburban again today. Got the laptop hooked up to it and looking at the live data, I am really confused.
The engine is running very rich with rough idle. The IAC coils are constantly cycling, as is rich/lean condition.

The Engine Temperature is showing correctly at 196 degrees but the coolant temperature sensor is reporting 92 degrees.

CTS is new and changes resistance when heated and cooled. Voltage sense line from the ECU goes to 5.04 volts when disconnected and drops to 1.1 volts with a 100 ohm resistor plugged into the connector. I grabbed a bunch of different value resistors to make sure the ECU line was changing voltage as the resistance increased or decreased. All indications and measurements point to the new CTS sensor not going low enough in resistance when warm.

Any and all ideas welcome. I also saved about a minutes worth of data showing all of the sensor values.

Joe
Joe what reading do you get on your lap top if you unplug the coolant sensor?

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Probably a silly question, but are you sure it really is rich at idle? Does black smoke come out of the exhaust?

I'm sure you are probably correct that it is rich, but I have to ask.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Joe what reading do you get on your lap top if you unplug the coolant sensor?

CTS reads -39 when unplugged and sets low coolant temp code.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably a silly question, but are you sure it really is rich at idle? Does black smoke come out of the exhaust?

Brian, that's a good question when we are talking fuel injected vs carb. The exhaust smells like fuel and wants to burn your eyes. It is not real black smoke, but there is smoke there.

Smells and acts like a 1050 Holley on a stock 283 small block.

In the fuel injected world it could be that there is not enough oxygen rather than too much fuel.

Either way the air fuel ratio is way off and it is getting around 7-8 MPG instead of about 17.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I am not in any way tech savvy but I had this exact vehicle new and ran into the same problem. Turned out that the air cleaner housing was not on it correctly. Just a thought.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Joe
Joe what reading do you get on your lap top if you unplug the coolant sensor?[/QUOTE]

Possibly a bit of egg on my face about this. Just heard back from the software guy and he says it is possible that there is a bug in the data stream file for this vehicle and that the CTS temperature is being displayed in degrees C and the engine temperature is displayed in degrees F.

I really wanted to asked him in what world did he think this is OK.

So back to trying to figure out what is messing up the air fuel ratio.

Thanks, guys.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
quote:
...... Just ordered 18 yards of asphalt grindings.

Guess you can get away with that out there ........ my snowplow guy keeps shoving mine into the grass.

Confused

You have a word with them??

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4514 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have a word with them??

I have not they usually plow at night, funny thing is it's the same guy that does the lawn maintenance in the summer ......... so guess who gets to deal with it in the spring???

Smile

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
quote:

Brian, that's a good question when we are talking fuel injected vs carb. The exhaust smells like fuel and wants to burn your eyes. It is not real black smoke, but there is smoke there.

Smells and acts like a 1050 Holley on a stock 283 small block.

In the fuel injected world it could be that there is not enough oxygen rather than too much fuel.

Either way the air fuel ratio is way off and it is getting around 7-8 MPG instead of about 17.

Joe, without me being there to hear/see this truck running, I think that if was rich enough to run rough at idle you would be getting black smoke at idle and a rotten egg smell from the exhaust. I've seen many people mistake a lean condition for rich at idle. Lean will make it rough also, but the exhaust will burn your eyes and be more pungent to your nose.

Try enriching it at idle with some propane from a torch to see if that helps. Also the EGR valve could be stuck open, that will also cause a rough, lean idle and kill MPG. You can easily pull the EGR valve to see, you can also run it with the EGR valve removed by plugging the port that goes into the intake. Those TBI engines had a bad habit of sucking in the throttle body to intake gasket too, used to fix lots of those.

It's worth checking out if you haven't already.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there are limitations to what is asked or said here but I really enjoy the board idiot free zone....

So that said, my question is, what do you guys figure the max hp obtainable for a 6-71 on a 582 is?
Very general question obviously...just give me educated guesses

Thanks,

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4474 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
I don't know if there are limitations to what is asked or said here but I really enjoy the board idiot free zone....

So that said, my question is, what do you guys figure the max hp obtainable for a 6-71 on a 582 is?
Very general question obviously...just give me educated guesses

Thanks,

That's a loaded question, there are huge diffenences in blowers. I ran a non hi helix 6-71 on my bracket 565 at 2000lbs, it went 6.80's at 11lbs boost. I could have upped the boost a little and gone a tenth quicker or so. That being said, you could go much quicker with an engine built for more boost and a higher dollar 6-71. I think it is possible to make over 2000hp with a high dollar 6-71 on a 582, but not practial.

FYI my 565 went from running high 7.40's NA to 6.80's with the 6-71, the only change to the engine was reducing compression by 1 point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
I don't know if there are limitations to what is asked or said here but I really enjoy the board idiot free zone.

No limitations here in this drama free zone.
clapping

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
OK, I just wanted to know if it could push a 1950lb car into the 6's....
I have the complete 671 EFI set-up just sitting and thought I'd build a 540-582 to run some T/D...I don't remember what I was going to run this on but I seem to think it has 160lb injectors
I don't have to be a 6.50 player just want to make sure I can qualify (6.85-ish)
Thinking a 540 may run as good as a 582. Less cubic inches may make a 671 "look" bigger...
NMCA left the west coast so I need to find something else to run...I don't really care for the NHRA circus but it's the only game to play out here at the moment..

Thanks for the input..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4474 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My 6.80's were done with an unstripped, non hi helix blower, Cometic head gaskets and stud mount rockers....MFI on alcohol.

You should have no problem going high 6's

You are welcome. Truth and facts....what, what did I just say? Slap Head

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2