Find
Notify
Tools

Perspective
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
67 years ago this Wednesday, the front page headline stories in my local newspaper:

Top, "War in the Gaza Strip"

Middle, "People are possibly abusing prescription medications, and becoming addicted"

Bottom, "An infant was struck in the head by a stray bullet, but is expected to survive"

Hmmmmm, guess we haven't made it far yet.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1647 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

No we sure haven't. The hot button subjects never go away, racism and abortion are my favorites. Generally speaking they are distractions, look over here, don't look over there. Helps maintain the status quo where the money flows. Welfare (vote buying), warfare, QE, debt, deficient, et al.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
And just imagine how this applies to bracket racing. That long ago, what was the goal of introducing bracket racing into drag racing? Somehow, I just can't believe it was about generating really big purses. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
"War in Gaza strip"

There will always be war until Islam has wiped out all Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Atheists and all others.

While most all Religions say you should try to convert others they also say love thy neighbor and enemy.

Islam is only Religion I know of that says they MUST convert or kill all others. So there will be war until Islam or all others are gone. FACT.

Note our World leaders want open borders and one World rule and one World Religion. They have said that Religion is Islam. That should scare the heck out of a lot of people yet we seem to not care or know what they are going to do.

That war in the Middle East is moving around the World. Obama made sure of that and it is coming to Europe, Australia and America.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
When bracket racing came along most on here weren't even born so have no vision of the original concept. Like original drag racing (not bracket racing) it has now been taken over by money forcing many out.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Curly is spot on absolutely correct.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Agree!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ferny,

Fuel Racing: It's an animal that is eating itself into extinction.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
67 years ago this Wednesday, the front page headline stories in my local newspaper:

Top, "War in the Gaza Strip"

Middle, "People are possibly abusing prescription medications, and becoming addicted"

Bottom, "An infant was struck in the head by a stray bullet, but is expected to survive"

Amazing how little things actually change though now is acceptable to twist words in media to get desired effect. Even more amazing how many people accept a given statement regardless of not really making sense.

I grew up in New England inner city areas. Grandson asked why I think how I do (conservative) from that background. I told him biggest difference I see is Liberals then thought expanding each individuals mind would make a better world. Not the essential dumbing down taking place now.

40 years ago, I would have never expected I would be approving of sending grandkids to catholic schools because I do not like what I see in public schools.

My father (a Reagan Dem) warned about globalist/one world threat way back. He also told me and siblings when you get old and feel you are missing something or are too dependent on others, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Your choices in life determine your outcome. there are exceptions due to health, bloodline (now genetics) and odd circumstance.

As to rise of bracket racing, back in early 70's they started "Animal Eliminator" on Saturday nights before Sunday races. A to Z Letter reflected dial and handicap. If I remember right, was back when slips handwritten with just number, ET and MPH. Was fun but racing class based dragbike which was dump clutch and hold on before good tires/wheelie bars, I was not very competitive. I guess was a way to expand participation.

Current bracket racing seems healthy even though for years many thought was dying. Like anything, big buck racing is evolving. If I had more energy, it looks like fun. Local bracket programs still my favorite. We have made many good friends at tracks over the years.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
40 years ago, I would have never expected I would be approving of sending grandkids to catholic schools because I do not like what I see in public schools.

Your grandkids will end up head and shoulders above their peers.

I thank God, and my Dad every day for my Catholic school elementary education.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1647 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
My wife and I did fine with public schools. That appears to not work well anymore.

Had question about WW2 from one of them. Pearl harbor was covered, but no mention of european theater.

In another case, Social Security was portrayed as "welfare". I then explained how social security was set up and how it was changed over time. He was surprised when I showed that I started paying in when I turned 14 on an older earning statement. It also led into explaination of annuities, interest, compound interest vs simple interest and in general how 401ks work.

I wonder if public schools even teach how to balance a checkbook?

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Lets talk about Religion.

When I was a kid my parents dragged our family to Church every Sunday and Vacation Bible School etc. I hated it.

I resisted and did not like it. At that time I did not think Religion should be in school.

I am not Religious in my daily life but I am Thankful for being dragged to Church as a child because it helps teach you Right from Wrong and lets face it children are not getting that now. This World could use some of that right now for sure.

I do not think there is anything wrong with teaching people how to live right and that there is consequences if you do not. They can learn it Church or at home or when they are arrested and put in jail. But they need to learn that lesson.

So now I have respect for all Religions except Islam. That is the only one I know of that says only way to get into heaven is to kill Infidels.
Islam is only one I know of that says it is okay to "Marry" children or have sex with animals. (yet they can not eat pork? WTF?)

Which brings us back to original poster "War in the Gaza Strip" There will always be war as long as you have a "Religion" that says you must kill all others. As Benjamin Netenyaho (sp?) said "If Hamas lays down their arms there will be Peace, if Israel lays down their arms there will be massacres."

You can not negotiate when one side wants Peace and the other side wants you dead. There is no compromising and meeting in the middle there and the sooner you understand that the better.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think Faith is a powerful thing Curly. I'm not a regular church goer and wasn't growing up either. However, we understood as a family the importance of faith in God and the teachings of the Bible. Very few young people have faith in anything higher other than our governments. That's pretty perverse. And it sets them up for being servants of whatever plan those in power set up for them. They are terrified of those who think people should govern themselves and only get a framework to work within from the government. God missing from the lives of a couple generations now is absolutely devestating to the foundation of our country.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6401 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Islam.
Perfect example of the danger of mixing religion with ignorance.
Also remember, they're very tribal, resulting in a population of inbred savages...that really need to be exterminated.

Now we have idiots here who are trying to emulate the very same formula of control.

Libtardism is a religion.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
I do not understand the left trying to break families. I think it may will be foundation of many, if not all religions. Nor do I understand the constant pressure against christians. Faith brought great comfort to both my parents, who am I to argue against?

My grandchild asked why I am not an avid church attendee? I told him I disagree with management of most, but I feel there are many great people attending church.

I also told him real faith starts in your own heart.

I fully endorse/approve of him going to that school as they push family as a foundation.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Faith brought great comfort to both my parents, who am I to argue against?

Most would agree Christianity was a positive force in Americas development. But we no longer live in the old America, times have changed and there’s no going back. Yes, faith has brought comfort to many people but so has a positive mental attitude. To expect someone to openly reconsider a core belief they have held all their lives, instilled in them by their parents, grandparents, et al, is generally going to be rejected. That goes double as folks grow older, especially females, and the inevitability of meeting their maker grows ever closer. Mankind has needed his Gods throughout time, it’s an innate human trait. At least 18,000 different gods, goddesses and various animals or objects have been worshiped by humans. Today’s society also needs it rock stars, movie stars, kings, politicians, Pope, etc. We are all atheist to a more or lesser degree. Most people today subscribe to only one god. Those folks reject 17,999 gods and a true atheist just believes in one less.

Religion is a first cousin to politics / government. It’s a way to control people and invoke another layer of laws (don’t get me started on HOA’s). 10 commandments anyone? It pits differing factions against one another (...that really need to be exterminated). Religion always has to have its “goals” and “victory”, good vs evil, right vs wrong, etc. as if it were a stick & ball game played on Sunday. If you want a soft introduction to the realities of religion look no further than George Carlin videos. But if you’re willing to take a deep dive look up Christopher Hitchens. Then, Dinesh D'Souza probably gives Hitchens as good a rebuttal as anyone.

Flame on my flock.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I think Faith is a powerful thing Curly. I'm not a regular church goer and wasn't growing up either. However, we understood as a family the importance of faith in God and the teachings of the Bible. Very few young people have faith in anything higher other than our governments. That's pretty perverse. And it sets them up for being servants of whatever plan those in power set up for them. They are terrified of those who think people should govern themselves and only get a framework to work within from the government. God missing from the lives of a couple generations now is absolutely devestating to the foundation of our country.

I think you are right. As for Big Government if you expect them to do everything for you then they are too big for us to support. Nothing is free and if you think it is then you can not afford the payments.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
Faith brought great comfort to both my parents, who am I to argue against?

Most would agree Christianity was a positive force in Americas development. But we no longer live in the old America, times have changed and there’s no going back. Yes, faith has brought comfort to many people but so has a positive mental attitude. To expect someone to openly reconsider a core belief they have held all their lives, instilled in them by their parents, grandparents, et al, is generally going to be rejected. That goes double as folks grow older, especially females, and the inevitability of meeting their maker grows ever closer. Mankind has needed his Gods throughout time, it’s an innate human trait. At least 18,000 different gods, goddesses and various animals or objects have been worshiped by humans. Today’s society also needs it rock stars, movie stars, kings, politicians, Pope, etc. We are all atheist to a more or lesser degree. Most people today subscribe to only one god. Those folks reject 17,999 gods and a true atheist just believes in one less.

Religion is a first cousin to politics / government. It’s a way to control people and invoke another layer of laws (don’t get me started on HOA’s). 10 commandments anyone? It pits differing factions against one another (...that really need to be exterminated). Religion always has to have its “goals” and “victory”, good vs evil, right vs wrong, etc. as if it were a stick & ball game played on Sunday. If you want a soft introduction to the realities of religion look no further than George Carlin videos. But if you’re willing to take a deep dive look up Christopher Hitchens. Then, Dinesh D'Souza probably gives Hitchens as good a rebuttal as anyone.

Flame on my flock.

I don't share that cinical view on religious....but then I have faith. So I wouldn't.
10 commandments? How do they pit anyone against anyone else?
I also don't suscribe to the christians good, muslums bad way of thinking. There are almost as many muslums as Christians in this world, and the vast majority have no ill will toward Christians. There are always some in every religion who *******ize the meanings of the religion to support their violent meanings. Yes islam does suggest that it is supported to kill to protect yourself and your faith. But it does not recommend randomly killing Christians. That's a perversion that some have taken to justify violence of their own. The violence in the middle east goes much deeper and wider than simply the religions there. Just like many christians and catholics were kkk members at one time here, many muslims have the same division and hatred toward their neighbors. And they always will. Regardless of religion.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6401 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I don't share that cinical view on religious....but then I have faith. So I wouldn't.
10 commandments? How do they pit anyone against anyone else?
I also don't suscribe to the christians good, muslums bad way of thinking. There are almost as many muslums as Christians in this world, and the vast majority have no ill will toward Christians. There are always some in every religion who *******ize the meanings of the religion to support their violent meanings. Yes islam does suggest that it is supported to kill to protect yourself and your faith. But it does not recommend randomly killing Christians. That's a perversion that some have taken to justify violence of their own. The violence in the middle east goes much deeper and wider than simply the religions there. Just like many christians and catholics were kkk members at one time here, many muslims have the same division and hatred toward their neighbors. And they always will. Regardless of religion.

I have to disagree with you on that one. There is a huge basic difference. Islam says they must infiltrate, breed into domination and eliminate all Infidels. In the past, before Obama, most Muslim Countries stayed in their Country and went by their rules in that Country. Obama started the Muslim Spring where Lybia and Egypt and many other Islamic Countries left as "Asylum Seekers" Notice 90% or more was young fighting age men and Rape, Murder and other crimes has went through the roof. That is just the tip of the iceberg. When they get large enough numbers in the invaded Countries they will invoke Sharia law and kill all who oppose.
They have been told to lie to Infidels and take advantage of them until they can control the. (Eliminate them) They have been told that an Infidel is less than human and you can kill them, rape them and all of their belongings are theirs.

If there is 1 or 3% Islam in the Country they are nice and peaceful. When they get over 20% they demand you accommodate their Religious beliefs. When they get over 50% they install Sharia law and you are their slave. When they get 90% or so you are dead.

THIS IS THE MODERN DAY TROJAN HORSE AND IF YOU BELIEVE THAT ISLAM IS "RELIGION OF PEACE" THEN YOU ARE HELPING LET THE ENEMY IN.

Even Poland who is not letting the Trojan Horse in will have problems soon as they will not be able to do business or travel safely to other Countries in Europe.

I honestly do not care if anyone is Atheist, or any Religion except Islam. You can believe what you want, but when your beliefs say you must infiltrate, lie, steal rape and kill that is where I have to draw the line. I did not even care about that crazy David Koresh thing in Waco. I think they were crazy but they made the choice and strange as it was not my business. I look at that like Homosexuality, I know it is wrong but what they do in their bedroom is not my business, now when they bring it out on the streets and try to force it on our Children is schools etc it is time to stand up.

If you care about your Grand Children, Great Grandchildren and the future of America and the World then you need to look for Trojan Horse and stop it. You and your children at not at much risk but their grandchildren will be and who will be to blame for that?

We as Americans need to stand up and protect our Country for our children, grandchildren and their futures. Choose your battles and you do not want to be on the team that orchestrated and cheered on 911.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Oh Religion. Kind of like Curly grew up in church. Mother is a secretary for a Baptist church and has been for 40-plus years. She lives across the road from the church and the former pastor.

I do attend once a year for Mother day.(guess need to get clothes to the cleaners) I"m not religious in standard since. I however do try to live right in how I deal with others and what I call common sense morals.

It is kind like a lifelong friend and I where talking one day. We do not attend church regularly. We both cuss good amount. Both have been know to drink a beer or a couple dozen. Still in some ways, we are more religious than some who attend church every week. Then go out Monday and see how many folks they can screw over for couple of bucks. Good amount would nail a willing POA if they figure they will not get caught.

Point being there are multiple levels of religious. IMO if you live life right .Fair to others,not out doing stuff that would harm or hurt others. Give respect to those who deserve it. If the case arises for violence if it is for good and to stop bad. You are fine and when you pass. Your mind will be at peace with all and that is for eternity. JMO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post