Notify
Tools

Shot clock race
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard Hammond,

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hope there is a live feed for this, alot of people in that arena will not be happy about this.

Posts: 610 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting and there are a few tracks around here that needs to look into it to.

Those who want to race should not be a problem. If it is a problem for some then maybe they are the problem.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4051 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
They need one in the pits…

Posts: 1265 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Interested in seeing how this works. Think the dragsters could possibly be the ones having most infractions with this system.

Posts: 2494 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Interested in seeing how this works. Think the dragsters could possibly be the ones having most infractions with this system.

They'll just need to cut down on the 400' burnouts......

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4478 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I back up fast

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

I agree 100%

The shot clock is a great start

Posts: 110 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

Wait! No 400' Burnouts? Now hold on just a minute here! Lets don't get crazy. Take a minute and think about this here.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4051 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
Wow, had no idea my other thread would suddenly become so relevant... or did I?

I think the shot clock is great and I agree with everyone else, I think we could stand to speed it up even more!

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 220 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
While I see the reasoning here. I can also see problems coming with it. Dragster guys will be backing up faster,chance of issue here. Other may have real issue and will be rushing to beat clock near end of time.Probably not many safety issues but could see it becoming one.

If most would just act like have common sense and stage cars in a timely manner there would not be a need for stuff like this. Again few bad apples spoil the whole lot.

AT 60 seconds it should not be big issue especailly for door car guys and dragster guys that do short burnout. Dang I would be in trouble.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4231 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Ignorant question on timing system function. Dragster burns out over the line and door car does their burnout at the same time because of fear of shot clock. Door car pre-stages as dragster is backing up. Will the dragster backing up through the beams with the other car pre-staged activate any timers?

Posts: 1478 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

How else will racers expose their ego?

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
What are they going to do about
"Mr. I went red / my car died / the sun was in my eyes, so I'll idle 12 MPH all the way to the ****hest turnoff"? Confused

This is all about a single promoter at a particular track that has a curfew, and never gets a race finished.

I'd say move your event to a facility that can get it done, or limit the number of entries and buybacks.

For anyone that really thinks this is a problem, I'd be all for having a display to raise awareness, but to put an arbitrary time limit on staging, and basing a disqualification off of it, is insanity at best, and just looking for big trouble.

goob- unintended consequences will ensue

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1687 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Since I have never raced at one of these events, does the track have someone who motions you to start your burnout when the track is safe or is it up to the racer to do so when they are ready? What if a car drips a few drops of oil or maybe drag some rocks to the starting line that needs to be cleaned up and someone is in a hurry because the car in front cleared the finish line and does the burnout anyways, could become a safety issue

Posts: 2441 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think Shot Clock will be a failure, and don’t believe any other promoter would use this system going forward. But it’ll be interesting to see the results…. someone has to try it, Right?

One track I compete at installed a burnout display. You pull into the water box and the display is red. When the display turns green that is your signal to start your burnout. But only works if the same type of vehicle (door car / dragster) is in both lanes.

Which leads me to this question. When a door car races a dragster, why do they hold the door car up and allow the dragster to burnout first? I have a door car, run both box / no-box, so I am familiar with this procedure, but honestly don’t understand it.

Posts: 2494 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Maybe a more actively engaged starting line boss would serve the purpose?

Give him/her a big ol' Flava Flave clock to point at for offending racers.

goob- simple problems require simple solutions

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1687 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Maybe a more actively engaged starting line boss would serve the purpose?

Give him/her a big ol' Flava Flave clock to point at for offending racers.

goob- simple problems require simple solutions

What ever it takes to get it under control. Some people take forever to stage and play silly little games. The Starter should pull them in or disqualify them if they do not.

I like the shot clock deal because it is same for everyone and clock should run unless oildown or something.

There was one track (Now closed) that would only run one set of cars maybe every 5 minutes. That was a long drive and a late night even on days there were not many cars. Nice track but they did not know how to run cars down the track. People just refused to go there any more. Spectators get up and leave, few cars going down the track. Nothing to see here. They leave and probably never come back.

Run the cars, that is what we are there for.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Here's our guy!!

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
quote:

whomp wins ... call twice and send em. cut the lanes off at a point and azz draggers will make a better effort.

Posts: 1245 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post