DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Chevy Silverado EV Review
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chevy Silverado EV Review
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Global warming of politicians pockets!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4510 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:

The majority of those seemed to be locally built as well. Riding in many DiDis’ (their version of Uber) I realized that the cars were very nice and seemed to be well put together.

They can thank Elon Musk. It seems like his company there has forced the Chinese companies to try to catch up with Tesla.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
This interview makes me concerned. If he’s right, mopar is done and China cars are about to flood the market
https://youtu.be/J9mZndxJ3Nc?si=CMta1_iWoYS1RNTV

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Mikey Can you comment on how metro China EV users are charging EV’s when the owners park on the street or community garage? How about the economics. Gas vs kWh power costs?

In Shanghai proper as well as the surrounding districts I have never really seen any street parking. In visiting several restraunts etc, I traveled either by DiDi or with co-workers in their cars. When in their cars we always parked in the underground parking garages where there were it seemed most spaces had EV charging provisions. Some were Tesla Superchargers, but most were not.

I didnt ask or pay any attention to the costs. My friends who used the EV charging simply parked, scanned the charger with their phone using the WeChat app and walked away. WeChat is their dominant Social Media. It is used to hail taxis, DiDis, pay for everything and even works as their version of Facebook.

Side note: It had been a few years since my last visit. The growth is hard to fathom, and the infrastructure is pretty remarkable. Real Estate costs are up significantly as well. Many co-workers told me that their apartments are now valued over $1M USD. These are Engineers.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
And sales continue to struggle

https://justthenews.com/nation...73175bc882-363210570

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
the two areas I spent time in were huge cities where EVs do extremely well and they are also supported by great infrastructure.

Large coal fired power plants produce 50+% of that electrical infrastructure in China.

Not sure what you read, but I see 40%. Check the power mag link below. In America, Coal power plants are be closed fast. Same with bunker C oil plants. Even modern gas powered combined cycle plant growth is low to non now. Most large utilities are going renewable at an amazing rate. NextEra FPL has zero plans for new fossil fuel generation. Solar PV technology is advancing at an amazing rate. I worked in Power Generation for 30 years. At a recent retired team lunch, we got an update and I was blow away. Hydrogen mix with bio gas seems to be the new fuel to replace NG on larger combustion turbines. All the major turbine suppliers have prototypes running on this. FPL has their own running at the CC plant in Okeechobee.
https://www.powermag.com/globa...-plant-construction/

That brings questions for me. What is the infrastructure to bring the new fuel to the plant?
Also, where is all the hydrogen coming from? Last plant I worked at used a lot of hydrogen, and it was expensive and plagued with shortages. Much more expensive in our sister plants in Europe. Generally hydrogen extraction takes energy.
I'm actually awaiting a job offer from a ng peaker plant.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have been to Shanghai China 3 times and was really surprised. The city is clean, the streets are in better shape than ours, restaurants were good. One thing that surprised me was many of the every day shop workers were driving Mercedes, BMW and other nice cars. I have seen more Ferraris and Lamborghini over there than I have here. Homeless people is not NEARLY as big of a problem there as it is here. Most of the people who I would consider as homeless were still doing some kind of work. Saw some who were wiping down rails or sweeping sidewalks but something productive.

Went to a foundry where they cast and machine aluminum blocks and heads for many car companies. (I believe he said 5 billion a year sales) and the work they do there was beautiful.

I also had the opportunity to go out in the country and China has a long history but it is nothing like we have been told especially by those who have never been there.

Where in most of the World roads Zig-Zag up and around Mountains in China the made huge tunnels right through the middle of the mountain.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4027 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Ben On the FPL pilot plant, they are making it on site from water using renewable PV Solar also on site. They are also storing it on site. It’s not enough to run any of the 3x 300MW CT’s but is verifying the process.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ben On the FPL pilot plant, they are making it on site from water using renewable PV Solar also on site. They are also storing it on site. It’s not enough to run any of the 3x 300MW CT’s but is verifying the process.

Interesting. I'm curious but no way to find out.....how much more energy do they get by the conversion than they made with the solar. We looked into on site generators and they were an option. Just expensive and energy hogs. We weren't burning the hydrogen though...using it in a chemical reaction.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post