DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Chevy Silverado EV Review
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chevy Silverado EV Review
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Had my first ride in a Tesla yesterday - dropped my 86 Monte Carlo SS off for A/C repair and Uber-ed back to the house.

TOTALLY unimpressed. No sense of styling or comfort in the interior. It's nothing but an appliance, like a refrigerator or a dish washer. If Whirlpool designed a car, it would turn out like this Tesla. Ride wasn't particularly smooth nor quiet. Really it's just a golf cart with doors. I was embarrassed to be seen it. Couldn't wait to get out of it.

Mike

Posts: 1589 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's nothing but an appliance, like a refrigerator or a dish washer. If Whirlpool designed a car, it would turn out like this Tesla.

Maybe if there's enough repos the bank will be giving them out instead of toasters? Didn't think of that

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2355 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
You raise a serious question - when these things get old and worn out, who would want them? With mega-expensive batteries to replace and crazy expensive replacement parts? The people who buy and drive older, high-mileage internal combustion cars won't touch used EV's with a 10-ft pole, and neither will the suburban libs who buy them new to show off.

Mike

Posts: 1589 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Nice truck but can you get a charger as big as the commercial sites to charge at home?? If not then that’s a huge delay.
460 miles is great though..

The DC fast charger is also called Level 3. I’ve not heard of a home version. Level 2 or 240vac chargers seem to be what most use. That trucks battery pack must be massive. I’m thinking for most, that DC fast charge is great on a trip with intermediate stops, but for everyday use, could shorten the battery life?
https://www.greencars.com/gree...lic-dc-fast-charging

that is correct. L3 charging degrades battery life. To my knowledge that affects all current EV's.

Posts: 131 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
You raise a serious question - when these things get old and worn out, who would want them? With mega-expensive batteries to replace and crazy expensive replacement parts? The people who buy and drive older, high-mileage internal combustion cars won't touch used EV's with a 10-ft pole, and neither will the suburban libs who buy them new to show off.

I do some EV stuff for my day job.

When folks want to trade them in, you have to look at things differently. We have testing equipment that will reveal the condition of the battery pack (it's "range", amp hours, etc) but it doesn't tell us what kind of condition the BMS is in. The BMS is crucial. About all we can do is inspect visually all of the wiring and such.

For instance if one comes in that has a battery life of 50%, customers will equate that to a 50% range, meaning if it's advertised originally as having a 200 mile range, they think it'll go 100 miles. That's not entirely true. It could be 30 miles, or it could be 90. Rarely is it true 50%.

Another issue is the cost of battery replacement. Generally, the battery condition dictates the trade in value, and if we even trade for it, the resale value. Once you get below about 80% the value plummets. Say resale value of a unit with 90% battery condition is $20,000. If that thing has a condition of, say, 50%, it's value dropped to maybe $5,000 at the most. We have to consider the cost of replacement, and that one vehicle I'm kind of talking about, it's battery replacement runs around $18,000 currently. Some are more, some are less but the main ones we deal with are averaging 18k. LUCKILY we haven't had to replace one yet. Looks like a pain in the butt. That 18k includes labor at flat rate but it doesn't include shipping costs and disposal fees which are a real thing. Battery supplier doesn't want them back so we have to pile them up until we can find someone who will take them. Boss has a line on a company out of I think Arizona that buys them, disassembles, and sends the cells across the pond somewhere. But we have to ship the batteries to them which costs a pretty penny.

lots of challenges and lots of costs to work through. But battery condition is the main denominator that dictates resale and/or trade value.

if it's got a bad battery and bad tires? Brakes? Scrap price.

Posts: 131 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Exactly - so SMOEBODY is gonna take a huge hit on these things at some point, and few if any are going to go beyond 5-10 years.

Mike

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
will admit to being lazy and not reading OP. No reason. No way am I buying POS ev I do not give crap how good they make them. Old enough and more than able of rebuilding my old gas burner,that I can and will eide out life w/o one.

Love Chevy and always have but not buying one of thiers either.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4407 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post