Notify
Tools

Pomona Crashes
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of Moderate Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure if you`re aware of it but 2 of the NPK guys came up with an electronic devise that a crew member releases the trans brake from outside of the car for the driver. In my opinion, it`s stupid because what if the crew member is brain dead and cant cut a light but why not come up with something similar that shuts the car down by a crew member. I can see an argument between the driver and his crew but someone has to have common sense. It`s simple, you see the car start to get out of shape, drift towards the center line or wall, you shut it down.

The technology is there and we should be looking to use it. Understanding accidents happen the idea of additional safety measures like this in place can help to greatly reduce injury and/or damage. In this scenario, if a trained safety official was able to cut power and get the chutes out it could have prevented or reduced the impact into the wall while saving contact with the other driver.

Moderator "On Board"

www.dragraceresults.com

Posts: 131 | Location: DragRaceResults.com | Registered: December 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of Moderate Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Moderate Joe:
What can be done to improve safety? Required
air launched chutes with a button on the wheel?How about safety crew down track that can kill the engine like you see in monster trucks or a system that kills the motor and deploy chutes?

Really!!!

How about take another look at the advanced licensing! First there are too many racers with the funds to purchase a fast car and make some easier runs and acquire a license with little to no prior racing experience! This is an accident waiting to happen, mainly because these drivers just don't know when it's time to lift due to lack of seat time. You just can't jump in a low 6 second car with a dozen or so runs under your belt and do it safely. Ya it's all good till it's not. Time to start limiting speeds and ET's based on experience, similar to Jr dragsters for kids. Then they need to address the racers with multiple crashes in a short period of time and remove them from competition until they prove they car race safely/meaning that they can and WILL make smart decisions, and also limit their ET/MPH during this time. Most of this is common sense!

I agree 100% that licensing needs looked at as well.

Moderator "On Board"

www.dragraceresults.com

Posts: 131 | Location: DragRaceResults.com | Registered: December 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Force has earned the right to do this as long as he wants, as did Garlits, etc. The other driver, I can't say - maybe she will re-evaluate on her own accord after this incident. It's an opportunity to learn, for sure.

On a side note, I think it's way past time to explore the possibility of slowing the fuel cars down a bit. The show was just as good back in the day when they were running the 1/4 mile at around 5.00.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
As far as a remote kill switch, all of that incident transpired in about two seconds. It's unrealistic to think someone could have remotely shut that down before it was too late.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
As far as a remote kill switch, all of that incident transpired in about two seconds. It's unrealistic to think someone could have remotely shut that down before it was too late.

Better to try than not do anything at all.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Force has earned the right to do this as long as he wants, as did Garlits, etc

Agreed! Force turns 74 today

Posts: 2485 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
x3

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
You guys keep talking about how long she's been driving as if it's an automatic qualification. I've seen talented young kids jump in a car (or pick up any other skill) and be a natural at it. Then there's people who have been doing something 30+ years and still suck at it. Every sport or activity is going to have people whose wallet is bigger than their skillset.

This has a lot to do with it. Some people are naturally better at it. Some can learn through experience and some just do not have it.

Most crashes I have seen on Friday night test and tune /street type races at the track are from getting loose and getting right back in it. Operator malfunction.

Now it appeared that Geneva never even got out of it. Assuming that her throttle did not stick then I would say it to is operator malfunction. Even if the throttle did stick it is the driver responsibility to make sure car is safe and throttle does not stick.
It is driver responsibility to have a plan if throttle does stick, if there is a fire, if brakes fail.

I have helped a lot of people learn to drive and one of first things I tell them is if throttle ever sticks then you better be prepared and act immediately. Then I also tell them to use multiple return springs and check close that nothing binds or sticks.
Kill ignition, fuel, throw out parachute and if it does not stop put car in neutral and hope the rev limiter catches it. Even if it does not easier to replace a motor than a car and driver and funerals are expensive now. Not only that you better be prepared to do it at night with possibly oil and fire on you. Make a plan and be prepared before any thing happens. Practice that plan so you do not have to even think about it if it ever happens.

There was a lot going on there but it appeared that she was mathematically eliminated before crash ever happened so she should have just eased out of it and ran another day.

Is there any video of you "driving" anything? You could train a monkey to hold a steering wheel straight.

You couldn't drive your way out of a wet paper bag, commie.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
What can we do to improve safety? Well, in our little circle we have always talked about what if situations and what to do. The more you talk about them, the more you will likely react to one instead of having to think about what to do.

There is a lot of things that can go wrong on a run. The quicker you react, the better off your chances of not crashing you car or worst yet, wadding up your competitors car.

Do they even tech cars any more? Do they check licenses or chassis certs? Tracks certainly do not on the bracket racing/sportsmen level.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 744 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
How many posters have been behind the wheel of a car that can run well in the 6's or a 7 second door car ?

Takes a lot of power to do either and s-h-i-t happens real quick.

I've been loose and moving around a few times but never out of control or I'd lift

Maybe aborted a total of 1 run in my last car.....spun bad after coming off the stop...lifted immediately....

I did have a stuck throttle once running 160+mph.....reacted very quickly and my mind scanned my options and I pulled fuel shutoff....alcohol injection.....shut right down

But that's only at 160's in a dragster

My friend had the same thing happen and he wrecked the car......engaged reverse trying to go to neutral......not a pro brake.....that did not go well ! Turbo Action 1 hand shifter....I assume he pulled up on the handle that prevents reverse....He ran 8.90x at 150+

6 second power is no joke......

There was an old guy running S/G in a roadster in my area. The guy had no business being in a car. He was friggen wreck waiting to happen. Everyone knew it and would not run when he was in the water. They stayed back and refused to pull up.
NHRA let him run.....he stopped showing up thankfully before he wrecked....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Is there any video of you "driving" anything? You could train a monkey to hold a steering wheel straight.

I can keep it off the cones that is more than you.......

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4043 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
How many posters have been behind the wheel of a car that can run well in the 6's or a 7 second door car ?

Takes a lot of power to do either and s-h-i-t happens real quick.

I've been loose and moving around a few times but never out of control or I'd lift

Maybe aborted a total of 1 run in my last car.....spun bad after coming off the stop...lifted immediately....

I did have a stuck throttle once running 160+mph.....reacted very quickly and my mind scanned my options and I pulled fuel shutoff....alcohol injection.....shut right down

But that's only at 160's in a dragster

My friend had the same thing happen and he wrecked the car......engaged reverse trying to go to neutral......not a pro brake.....that did not go well ! Turbo Action 1 hand shifter....I assume he pulled up on the handle that prevents reverse....

6 second power is no joke......

There was an old guy running S/G in a roadster in my area. The guy had no business being in a car. He was friggen wreck waiting to happen. Everyone knew it and would not run when he was in the water. They stayed back and refused to pull up.
NHRA let him run.....he stopped showing up thankfully before he wrecked....

Me, 6.60's in a dragster and 7.20's in a door car, and yes there have been occasions that I lifted in a run well before the 1/8! Some I could have fought with and probably been OK but it's just not worth it whether it be a time run or elimination. Others would have likely ended badly. The dragster is certainly easier to drive to a point, then with those little narrow front tires, not so much. Gusty X winds in a dragster can be a real challenge racing 1/4 mile in fast dragster!

A number of years back at an NHRA divisional in TD a driver hit the wall with his headers right around the finish line, had no idea he did it! None! Or that he was even close to the wall... He wasn't allowed to continue to race at that event which was a good thing for all involved but how did it get that far?

Let's face it, the cars today are much faster on average than just 10 years ago never mind 20, but other than more safety equipment required, there has been no changes in the licensing requirements! That alone should tell you a bunch.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

I can keep it off the cones that is more than you.......

You couldn't drive your way out of a wet paper bag, that's why you and a few other girly girl racers claimed I was a dirty driver when you lied and cried on what you saw.

Girly girl Curly the Libtard commie.

You're still lying, crying and denying Libtard, after admitting you plowed the finish line cone, and can't prove I did, Liar.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I helped a number of people get going in racing and I had a few things I always told them.

If you spin or are going less than straight. ABORT the run....and do not lift and get back on it because that run is junk already....

That was the most important...

You get off line and the slicks roll under the rims and your just asking for trouble after that.....

Racing is down to thousandths all the time and no way a bad run helps.....

The faster the car and the more power, the more that applies....

If your driving some slow P.O.S. on little dinky tires trying to play Macho Man.....stay the f'k in your own lane....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Try looking in the groove behind the cars before typing.

The size of the tire matters less than the size of the brain working on the tire.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

You couldn't drive your way out of a wet paper bag, that's why you and a few other girly girl racers claimed I was a dirty driver when you lied and cried on what you saw.

Girly girl Curly the Libtard commie.

You're still lying, crying and denying Libtard, after admitting you plowed the finish line cone, and can't prove I did, Liar.

This whole conversation or thread is about driving over your talent level and crossing the Center line. Mike, you may want to consider just sitting this conversation out. Just Saying.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4043 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Curly, fat chance of that. Between the goofball and Ediot the comedy is amazing

Speaking of Ediot, I’m sure he is in Vegas showing everyone how it’s done

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Mike, the ediot can't come out here, the boys would eat his lunch and he probably can't afford it.

Posts: 4819 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Curly, fat chance of that. Between the goofball and Ediot the comedy is amazing

Speaking of Ediot, I’m sure he is in Vegas showing everyone how it’s done

Mike, you're just mad because you can't piss him off enough to make his list of people that hurt his feelings.... Laughing Hard

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4476 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Dave, the disappointment is huge

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post