DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Quaker City Motorsports Park
Page 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 245
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quaker City Motorsports Park
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
VX96,

I get kind of bent when racers blame the timing system as it gives the unit a bad name. Be it Accutime or Compulink, In this case Its not the timing system its the people trying to fix wiring issues that have no idea what they are doing. The timing system computer itself is perfect. Its outside factors causing the timing system not to read the inputs or send the outputs to the right locations. Its like calling your GM or ford car junk because the battery cable broke off from vibration and no maintenance done over the years since it was new.. The car runs great with the cable fixed or battery replaced.

Posts: 178 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turk:
VX96,

I get kind of bent when racers blame the timing system as it gives the unit a bad name. Be it Accutime or Compulink, In this case Its not the timing system its the people trying to fix wiring issues that have no idea what they are doing. The timing system computer itself is perfect. Its outside factors causing the timing system not to read the inputs or send the outputs to the right locations. Its like calling your GM or ford car junk because the battery cable broke off from vibration and no maintenance done over the years since it was new.. The car runs great with the cable fixed or battery replaced.

Call it what you want but sensors, wiring and the computer itself are all part of the total system. Accutime or Compulink is just simply the application that is driving the system. The problem is in the system, not the application. So to say there is a problem in the system would be correct as the application can only provide information out that it is getting in. If the system fails to provide clear, accurate info in you cannot expect it to provide clear, accurate information out.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
well we all know where you guys expecting perfect should go then!!quaker has NEVER been perfect.and probably NEVER will be.

Photobucket

Posts: 3065 | Location: pa | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am not expecting perfect just improvements on the same bad decisions plus my year there sucks so I need to try someplace else.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Actually it was the perfect place to go. It was great in the early years when Dan had it and was focused on the track. Payouts were great, car counts good and the program ran efficiently. I think if things had happened a little different in the last couple years Dan had it, the place would still be near perfect.

The previous few years showed some hope with the current owner's. They were putting some money in to the place (not necessarily the right places but none the less improvements) and they were working to fix the efficiency issues. At some point toward the end of last year things started taking a few steps back. Then this year at the banquet it was my understanding they announced a few planned improvements. I am not certain if those got done? The attitude from the end of last year has carried over into this year. Key employees have left due to the way they were treated, the program has slowed down, the unnecessary down time has returned and the system issues that needed maintenance at the end of last year still haven't been addressed. I have been told by a couple employees that most of the calls coming from the tower are because a manager isn't available to make a call. Can't say that is a fact but I know I have come thru the gate well into the start of the day and been behind the manager who is just getting to the track for the day. The vibe and overall attitude this year that I have gotten from my 3 visits have simply been, "it is what it is, we just don't care." You guys that show up regularly (racing free or paying at the gate) really deserve better than what you are getting. Even if the intent is to sell at the end of the year, you still owe your 100% efforts to those people paying to race or spectate, those that have bought pit spots and those who are there every week.

You do make me laugh, Bill. My 1st trip out this year you were on the golf cart looking to mf someone, punch Clint, the track was a POS, they screwed you and you wanted back in or was getting thrown out (that may have been Hank that I talked to). Good thing we stopped to look at your ticket and the delay box. Cool

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
is it in the roll out the problem? couple times I was there my lights have been all over the place.

Posts: 831 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do make me laugh, Bill. My 1st trip out this year you were on the golf cart looking to mf someone, punch Clint, the track was a POS, they screwed you and you wanted back in or was getting thrown out (that may have been Hank that I talked to). Good thing we stopped to look at your ticket and the delay box.

This actually made me LOL. For Bill, at that moment, everything WAS perfect. Sorry Bill, you know I love you.

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Fagnilli:
quote:
You do make me laugh, Bill. My 1st trip out this year you were on the golf cart looking to mf someone, punch Clint, the track was a POS, they screwed you and you wanted back in or was getting thrown out (that may have been Hank that I talked to). Good thing we stopped to look at your ticket and the delay box.

This actually made me LOL. For Bill, at that moment, everything WAS perfect. Sorry Bill, you know I love you.

Maybe a few years ago that would have been a perfect day for him but I give Bill a lot of credit, at least he stops to think a little more now and then decides his course of actions. Probably a good thing for the starter Bill parks as far away as he does. Gives him a little time to think it out on the golf cart ride to the starting line.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Never asked for perfection.

Asking for a timing system that works correctly most of the time. Not some of the time. Again fix it.

Asking for a Manager the gives a **** and can make smarter decisions.

Asking for an owner that can be professional.

Asking for a couple more employees to be hired.(not announced over the pa race day "want a job for the day")

Did I mention " we need someone to bring us some Bud Light to the tower"

Posts: 212 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes mr.transmission man........all of your statements are correct. I've given up trying to help.The end.

Posts: 25 | Location: TRP | Registered: May 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TH383:
is it in the roll out the problem? couple times I was there my lights have been all over the place.

must be secret. Confused

Posts: 831 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Some guys have commented about seeing a difference lane to lane in the reaction time so that could be contributed to an issue with roll out. The other week they were a few hours behind start time because the staging beams were creating a problem and being recognized from what I was told.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
Shawn, that exactly right in that a difference between lanes is usually a roll out setting issue. 90% of the time that's due to lack of maintenance. Roll out should be checked every couple weeks to assure accuracy. More so after a big event like jet cars or nitro cars really vibrate the starting line. The sensors can and will come loose from vibration as they only have plastic lock nuts holding them to a metal plate. If the issue is constant in the one lane then chances are there is a sensor going bad and needs replaced. When they go bad they start to get what's called Lazy or slow causing erratic reaction times.

Roll out sometimes can take hours to get it exactly right more so if you have a sensor going bad and don't know it.

Posts: 178 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How about them checking the roll out with a flat tire on the gauge???

Posts: 25 | Location: TRP | Registered: May 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by super stock wheelie:
How about them checking the roll out with a flat tire on the gauge???

Seriously?? At least they checked it, right? You could have offered up an air tank and tire gauge unless you didn't want it to get dirty or scratched.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Seriously Shawn!! A friend who was standing there was told "it doesn't matter". Heaven help us!!!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Turk.. I was asked about the system freezes and asked if that was a PC issue or application issue. I believe it is an application issue with Accutime but not at the fault of the application itself. It has been my understanding when the PC freezes it is due to the system equipment sending contradicting information to the PC due to bad/lazy sensors or misalignment of transmitters/receivers that the PC cannot process quickly and the system goes into a protection mode which is a freeze. What's your experience with this issue?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
DUCK SEASON IS ALMOST OVER!!RudolfTHEN ITS DEER SEASON!!!!

Photobucket

Posts: 3065 | Location: pa | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
That's exactly how the system should work. Just a FYI I put the Accutime system in at QCMP back when Miller was running it the first year Norm purchased the place. I spend 3 days with rusty from accutime and Duke running all new wiring down both sides of the track to the starting line, tree and into the tower. I did all the sensor wiring and starting line along with rebuilding the tree. I only wish PRP had that nice level of a starting line that QCMP has or had. Doing the Roll out was beyond simple there.

As for starting line sensors they are different from down track sensors. IF the timing system does not for better lack of terms see certain ones it will not allow the system to function, Its actually not locked up but busy trying to talk to the sensors and not getting the proper response back. The system is constantly talking to all the sensors but has a built in safety that if it does not see the finish line or starting line it stops all functions. This prevents a false or lost run.

So if there is a bad sensor on the starting line and its not responding to the timing box saying I am here the system stops. same thing with a lazy sensor, there are built in self tests to prevent lost runs. This is a major difference between compulink and Accutime, as one is using a current loop and one uses a voltage loop to monitor the down track sensors.

Just about anyone can change a sensor on the starting line, but that's where you run into trouble not knowing which ones to replace with correctly. In that the emitter and receiver on both sides are on different frequencies. What that means is ( just an example) left lane pre stage outside sensor is a emitter then inside lane sensor is a receiver matched on frequency A for both, the stage sensors in the left lane is then reversed outside being receiver and inside being emitter but on frequency D. it don't matter how you have emitter and receiver as long as they are reversed between pre stage and stage and on different frequencies 2 letters apart. This is done to prevent cross over talking between the sensors. The right lane should be the same exact setup but using different frequencies C and E between pre stage and stage sensors. The problem comes in is that if a emitter or receiver sensor is changed and its not replaced with the same frequencies your in for a world of strange issues. If your close enough on the frequencies like it was an A and you replace with a B it could work but not right. Roll out will not stay locked in, computer will constantly lock up as its getting garbage info from wrong sensor feed back.

When greg left there was a complete set of starting line sensors all different frequencies new in the box.

So sounds like to me they have a bad sensor and or wrong frequencies in the mix. As for doing the roll out with a flat tire on the wheel that's just stupidity on that person doing it because it won't be right. with the tire flat its going to have the sensors too low and cause issues with the JRs and big dragster with the same type tires.

Hope that answered your question..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Turk,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Turk, very nice and informative post! Hope the right "people" are reading the post.

Bottom line the timing system needs maintenance from time to time, and a basic knowledge of how the system works.

Posts: 212 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post