DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    HELP..Top End Skip/Miss
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP..Top End Skip/Miss
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
Lenny5160, My MISS varies, in the beginning (April) it was so severe I had to lift @ 1200', as time goes on (converter changes) the miss is just a few pops w/ no effect of E.T., then like the last 2 weeks of points, 3 - 4 real hard pops or misses > puts you in the seat belts....

Something else for everyone to think about...could outside temp. be affecting/causing this? the Miss has also followed the heat change of Season's?

I'm alittle shy about extended tip plugs not knowing how much space I have, and not sure if I will get a chance to test before Bracket Finals.

That would possibly put it back on a fuel delivery issue. If the car has been better when the air is worse, that makes me believe it is going lean, atleast that has been my experience with alky.

edit... If the motor and fuel system hasn't changed, maybe pull the intake, and verify it isn't trying to suck an intake gasket.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Skip/Miss is GONE! Just raced Bracket Finals @ Atco, I changed shift controls to delay box & shut off solenoid after 1st. gear change, only other real change possible was replacing fuse panel feed to a #4. All components have relays near themselves. Car ran a best 7.900 @ 172+ (2705, 632-383HH MC, Terminator.) I have another 6200 FTI I want to try, Hoping to dip into the 80s. Many Thanks for the suggestions! Big Grin

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it cleared up, Richie.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
MOTHER TRUCKIN' SKIP IS BACK!!! Super Angry changed converter and went back to L.V. this weekend, went 7.900 again, second pass w/ a few skips (-100 rpm's after 7300 on D.B. playback) ran 7.920, third went 7.902 clean.

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you go to Jegs they have a SAVE $30 offer now if you spend $300 or more.

If you have a racers account you can purchase MSD Grid 7730 for $409 and it should be discounted to $379 delivered.

At this point it’s inexpensive to install compared to what you’ve gone through imho. Not saying it’ll fix or find your problem for sure, but what’s the next course of action ??? Re-wire the car ??

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
At this time I'm looking at a Racepak w/ (2) 02 & fuel press. to get a good look at what everything is doing.....

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Tank vent open? is there anything stupid in fuel pressure reading?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Yes, no press. gauge. Pic on KillerRons/customer images

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
At this time I'm looking at a Racepak w/ (2) 02 & fuel press. to get a good look at what everything is doing.....

Great Choice. Consider calling Greg Kelly

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Richie.....had a friend chase a similar problem recently, I can't explain it but changed EVERYTHING and nothing helped.....opened up his air gap for the crank trigger and it solved the problem.....cheap and easy to try........Howie

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Howie, I started the season @ .200+ (by mistake) found and adjusted to .045 thinking "I found it" nope.
I run my plug gap @.035 > can't see that being a problem. only things not changed are: Moroso crank wheel & coil.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well, those two things aren't to hard to try. But I'd do one at a time to see what cures it.......good luck.

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
crank wheel on backwards ????

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I still think it is a bad wire somewhere in the car. I hate to tell you this but it sounds like it is time to rewire the car.

One other thing I would close the gap on the plugs from .035 to .028 but if it sounds like it is shutting off for a second then it sounds like a wiring issue.

Several years ago I had some similar issues and when I rewired the car they went away. I never did find anything that stood out as bad but it resolved the issue. Possibly a loose connection broke wire or something like that.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4018 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I would try the crank trigger at .060 to .080. The larger gap can cause more issues while starting, unless you have a 16 volt battery. The larger gap will help at higher rpms's. Worth a try.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I'm done for this season. Motor will get a top end freshen, Racepak, MSD wheel & open gap to .060 (worked fine @ .200+) & a spare Pro Power coil (I can try if needed) It seems electrical because it drops RPM so quick then right back up...but if it is fuel related then I'll see it in the 02, the car mph's pretty good so I have my doubts there also..HATE to start the season not-knowing. Beating Dead Horse & re-check / replace wiring that hasn't already been.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Trash the coil and put a hvc coil on it. Got a buddy that was having the same kind of issue and this fixed his car. Been told that the pro power coil is the sorriest coil they make it breaks down under the stain and heat.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Are you still using the Moroso pickup or just the wheel?

If still using Moroso pickup consider changing it for the MSD.

Good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
Trash the coil and put a hvc coil on it. Got a buddy that was having the same kind of issue and this fixed his car. Been told that the pro power coil is the sorriest coil they make it breaks down under the stain and heat.

Agreed. HVC x2

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I have had a HVC coil on it since alky conv. 2 yrs. ago, Pro Power is a spare in trailer. Started w/ Moroso pickup & wheel, changed to MSD pickup. Sorry guys, this one ain't that easy. Greg quoted me a RacePak package w/ (1) 02 & oil added, also looking @ KillerRons RPM performance kit#2 (RPM is $200 cheaper & (2) 02 + fuel)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richie,