DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    In reference to my dragster axle life span thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In reference to my dragster axle life span thread
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
This happened today at Bradenton Fl.. The driver walked away unhurt

The video. you will need Facebook to view
https://www.facebook.com/Brett...jIwODMyMTgxMjYyNjU4/

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
40 spline MW?

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Wow, hate to see that happen with Les. Be good to hear the backstory...where it failed, how many runs, brand, anything contributed. Les makes a ton of passes and travels a lot so could be a high mileage unit...or he could have just put a new rear together.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
He had just ran a 3.80 earlier in the day before this happened.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Looks like it broke right in front of the bearing, you can see the pieces of the rotor but the caliper is still attached

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
again how much do new axles cost? guessing about 1/10 the damage there and thats probably high guess on cost or low guess on damage.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Also looks like a bearing race or part of the bearing seal.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
theses cars need full floaters not bracket race parts.mine included

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

Whats involved in converting our Fab housings to a floater or do you need a whole new housing built?

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whats involved in converting our Fab housings to a floater or do you need a whole new housing built?

steve i cant answer that but my first thought is its a whole new houseing

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the bigger ring gear sets are also needed,imo

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

https://timmcamis.com/shop/cha...gs/fab-housings.html

^^ the above is a good side by side representation of a floater rear end vs a standard rear end. You would essentially need an entire new housing, axles, center section... a whole new setup.

a top dragster really needs a floater rear end and axles

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i was informed by strange ,no gundrilled axles for anything over 1200 hp especially blower cars.les has my bracket setup for his par procharged motor .axles take a lot of shock to go sub 1.00 60ft 300 passes on that torque side glad he is ok

Posts: 16 | Location: florida | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

https://timmcamis.com/shop/cha...gs/fab-housings.html

^^ the above is a good side by side representation of a floater rear end vs a standard rear end. You would essentially need an entire new housing, axles, center section... a whole new setup.

a top dragster really needs a floater rear end and axles

Here is a direct link to a video by Tim explaining a Floater rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...W-I&feature=youtu.be

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
He had just ran a 3.80 earlier in the day before this happened.

Before the 3.80 they said he shook bad the run before.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
great info steve thanks . there goes the xmas funds!

Posts: 16 | Location: florida | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
40 spline MW?

Yes, gun drilled.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
After looking at the damage to the car and to cost to repair the conversion to a floater is cheap insurance, not to mention the safety factor. The car in the other lane came close to T-boning him.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I saw a dragster axle that had broken just behind the wheel bearing. The wedding ring that holds the bearing had been tack welded. It was very obvious the crack had started right at the weld. This used to be standard practice by some old school shops. Definitely not reccomended.

Posts: 35 | Location: new jersey | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
dang I guess my axles are coming out.ive got the moser 40 spline new in 2008,think a new set of those before I would do a floater.

I did change the axle bearings every 3 years though,not sure if that helped.i am .960 to .978 60 foot

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post