DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    In reference to my dragster axle life span thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In reference to my dragster axle life span thread
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
was that lock ring tacked on?

Brad

Posts: 241 | Location: Georgia | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I really think its a bad idea boring that axle that deep. Torsional load factor on a hollow tube to save a couple of Lbs and wreck you Sh***. Lessen the weight elsewhere.JMO

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad2386:
was that lock ring tacked on?

You can see what looks like tack welds in the picture

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I would never guessed they would gun drill that far, you would think they would stop before the bearing

My question is if the ring was tack welded on, where is the bearing? No way the bearing would just slide off, should be pressed on

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

looked that way to me too

Brad

Posts: 241 | Location: Georgia | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad2386:
quote:

looked that way to me too

But where is the bearing and ring?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
In one of the original picture of the wheel coming off the car, the caliper is still attached to the housing, that means the bearing retainer/caliper bracket is still attached. In this picture it appears that the axle broke behind the bearing and there is no bearing or ring attached. That means the bearing and ring slipped off the axle which there in no way that should happen if they were pressed on. My bet is the inner bearing race was spinning on the axle and that's what caused this failure.
Would be nice to see a picture of the housing and see if the bearing is still in it. Maybe Bender knows, he was there

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Glad no one was hurt.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Steve, when I looked at it, it was not appropriate to gawk. And I had to get back to my car to make a hit.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have seen bearings move from side load,thats the reason you tack them,maybe axel slid out,then axel broke at tacks which made dings in axel?

Brad

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I am still not understanding why full floater is stronger. Looks like from here the brake caliper and wheel still bolt on to flange same as a flange type axle?
All of the torque from acceleration and stopping still goes through the flange of the axle correct?

On a floater the only load on the axle is the torque from acc and stopping. Everything else is supported by the bearings which ride on the axle tube. the bearings would be in a hub which the rotor would attach to. you can remove the axle and the car still rolls around, no wheels or hubs fall off.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you look closely at the fresh break you can see 3 evenly spaced spots that look like heat penetration of a weld right at the break....jmho

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4469 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Treed by Eman. On a floater the axle does not support the weight of the car. Axle can break and wheel, rotor, etc can stay on car. For an example look at the rear brakes/ wheel on most 1ton dually trucks.

Posts: 496 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you look up Strange Engineering A1032D you can read what they say about lock ring installation. Cold press only. . Maybe someone can paste it here for all to see. From Strange website, " Tack-welding can alter the axles heat treating and cause cracking" I remember reading this at least 15 years ago so its not new info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: k107,

Posts: 35 | Location: new jersey | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I watched a video from the rear of the car leaving the line and there was a lot of torsional twist of the chassis being planted on the right rear side to me but of course there is a ton of torque when running that fast . I would have never thought it was gun drilled thru to the bearing either . Curly there is no flange on the axle on a floater . The flange is mounted on the axle housing supported by bearings and the axle shaft drives the flange , two separate pieces . There is a lot of wrong going on here with the bearing and retainer missing .....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 67TSCHEVY2,

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Mike, I'm in the exact same boat as you.

Except of course quicker 60's....... LOL

I was digging' our .940's 60's this summer , starting to rethink that now ... Eek

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k107:
If you look up Strange Engineering A1032D you can read what they say about lock ring installation. Cold press only. . Maybe someone can paste it here for all to see. From Strange website, " Tack-welding can alter the axles heat treating and cause cracking" I remember reading this at least 15 years ago so its not new info.

Just weird because I got my rolling chassis brand new with Strange axles and the lock rings are tacked. I can only assume they came from strange that way.

Either way my current axles are gun drilled all the way thru and rings tack welded. Thats 2 strikes against them and there not going back in after seeing this

I am going to order MW high torque axles made from 300M aerospace material. I am going to request that they are not gun drilled, this will give me the strongest possible axle without going to a floater rear end.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the tacks create a stress riser,when the torsional twist happen all of the stress accumulate at the weld tack

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k107:

https://www.strangeengineering...a1093-elim-kit.html/
Here's the link to the Strange page

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Just weird because I got my rolling chassis brand new with Strange axles and the lock rings are tacked. I can only assume they came from strange that way.

Either way my current axles are gun drilled all the way thru and rings tack welded. Thats 2 strikes against them and there not going back in after seeing this

I am going to order MW high torque axles made from 300M aerospace material. I am going to request that they are not gun drilled, this will give me the strongest possible axle without going to a floater rear end.

Isn’t there something about MW splines being different than Strange? Maybe need a different spool?

Posts: 2467 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post