DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Maybe switching to alcohol.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe switching to alcohol.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 482 BBC, that put out 513 hp on a chassis Dyno, I don’t know what the engine hp is by itself. I now run an 1150 dominator, and am thinking of switching to alcohol, what size carb should I be looking at?

Posts: 399 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1000HP aka 850 4150

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
I run a Rupert 1050 dominator on my SDPC Race Shop 582 Head Hunter engine. Runs faster then a 1250 methanol carb.

ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC Race Shop 582 Head Hunter on methanol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Alky is A LOT OF WORK! The maintenance NEVER STOPS!

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fastracer482:
I have a 482 BBC, that put out 513 hp on a chassis Dyno, I don’t know what the engine hp is by itself. I now run an 1150 dominator, and am thinking of switching to alcohol, what size carb should I be looking at?

4150 or 4500, your choice. I've run both on this.

The main thing people struggle with when making the switch, is wrapping their head around the idea methanol is the exact opposite than gas.

Gas you're always cooling the engine, methanol you'll be trying to keep it warm.

So never turn on the fan when you come back from a lap.

Shut it down and walk away.

Get it as warm as you can between the ticket shack & your pit.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Send your dominator to Rupert, he can make it Alcohol.

Buy a belt driven pump, put the fuel cell in the front.

You'll be a uptown cracker.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My buddy loves his Rupert's. Personally I agree with Sugar Shane it's a lot of work. I guess if you have a primer system to start and burn off the water post race may make that more manageable. I recently witnessed the aftermath of an improperly maintained alcohol bracket car. To say it wasn't pretty would be kind. It opened my eyes. As with everything pros and cons. Good luck.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
My buddy loves his Rupert's. Personally I agree with Sugar Shane it's a lot of work. I guess if you have a primer system to start and burn off the water post race may make that more manageable. I recently witnessed the aftermath of an improperly maintained alcohol bracket car. To say it wasn't pretty would be kind. It opened my eyes. As with everything pros and cons. Good luck.

There's absolutely no maintenance, if you know how to run it and use the right parts - rings mainly. You want it to leak down good - Total Seal rings.

If you saw one tore up, they didn't know what they're doing.

In the right hands, there's no maintenance.

I ain't trying to insult anyone's opinion by saying this. There's zero maintenance.

Drain the bowl when your done, pull a breather or line to ventilate the engine, keep it warm when racing, use a good lube - klotz.

I wouldn't have a primer. A primer is more maintenance.

If you can't get it warm reach out for help, you're fuel washing everything.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Consider going MFI with a Primer Plus plate or primer nozzle. Very little maintenance and it’ll start and run in 30* weather without assistance with the PP. Besides starting using the Primer Plus plate, you can dry the engine out on gasoline at the end of the day also. Tuning MFI is stupid easy. Never owned a carb…… Never will.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
These two items will carbon-copy time slips.

802 crcxls transmission specialties spragless converter - Bo Laws carb

uptown cracker essentials Smile

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Consider going MFI with a Primer Plus plate or primer nozzle. Very little maintenance and it’ll start and run in 30* weather without assistance with the PP. Besides starting using the Primer Plus plate, you can dry the engine out on gasoline at the end of the day also. Tuning MFI is stupid easy. Never owned a carb…… Never will.

Yep if you are going to run methanol, call James Monroe at Killer Rons. A Ron's toilet with a primer plus would be a great combo on that engine.

I ran a Ron's Terminator with Primer Plus on a AFR 385 head 615 a few years ago and it was deadly. Start it and drive it to the lanes on pump gas, pull the handle and switch to Methanol. There was no maintenance other than trying to get rid of all the barrels. I went through 9 barrels in one season.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:

There's absolutely no maintenance, if you know how to run it and use the right parts - rings mainly. You want it to leak down good - Total Seal rings.

If you saw one tore up, they didn't know what they're doing.

In the right hands, there's no maintenance.

I ain't trying to insult anyone's opinion by saying this. There's zero maintenance.

Drain the bowl when your done, pull a breather or line to ventilate the engine, keep it warm when racing, use a good lube - klotz.

I wouldn't have a primer. A primer is more maintenance.

If you can't get it warm reach out for help, you're fuel washing everything.

Fair enough. So you don't have any contamination issues. I think you're saying rings can significantly impact that? I have considered E85 and alcohol but I am sticking to gas at least for this coming season.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I made the switch from dual dominators to a dual terminator system, and won't ever look back. I went from having trouble keeping my car cool to having trouble trying to get enough heat in it!! Only thing I do for maint is drain the tank and fill it with gas, then spray some wd40 into the barrel valve and pump if it's going to sit. That's it. It's been easier to tune, easier to predict, and at least for my stuff, runs faster than it did on gas.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think the OP asked “What size carb”.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^LOL!^^^^^^^

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2514 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have begun a relationship with this company and am very pleased. https://www.atminnovation.com/

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
I think the OP asked “What size carb”.

Good point. Apologies for contributing off subject.

BG

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Keep the same carburetor you have. Convert it to alcohol.

Posts: 476 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
1000HP aka 850 4150

I have no idea what you were trying to say

Posts: 399 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fastracer482:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1320racer:
1000HP aka 850 4150

I have no idea what you were trying to say[/QUOTE

The 1000hp is a 4150 model not a Dominator 4500

Basically an 850 with a higher cfm rating

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post