DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Power Glide Deep Pan
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Glide Deep Pan
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I'm in the market to buy a deep pan for a Power Glide and see that there are several to pick from. Moroso has an aluminum pan # 42000. I want to stay away from a steel or cast aluminum pan, the cast pan I have leaks.

Is anyone familiar with the Moroso pan? Any problems, etc.? When using the Moroso pan what bracket (manufacturer and part number) is necessary to connect the shift cable.

Thanks for the feed back.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, FWIW both my cars have the cast finned pan and neither leak.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
I run the Moroso no issues. Use the same cable
bracket you use now. I use studs and nuts on it.
I run it because it lighter.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Personally I like the Hughes tapered pan. It is tapered so it sits level in the car and deeper in back. It also has a baffle to keep the fluid from sloshing up and also a special pick up so the filter is under the baffle. It is the same design as the aluminum Sonnax pan except it is cast aluminum. I have it on both my TD transmissions. The other thing a cast pan does, at least at my power level is it adds some rigidity to the case making it stronger IMO

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I to run the Hughes tapered pan. I have ran several cast pans and never any issues.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Not sure what brand my cast aluminum pan is. Probably Moroso. No leaks. Tighten bolts with a torque wrench.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1353 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Also use a Felpro pan gasket.

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Hughes tapered with baffle is the wtg

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have the Sonnax pan, works fine.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Neil and Parks have aluminum pans Made in Kansas USA. Never seen these guys do anything but right. At least give them a look

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I run a cast BTE pan and a Farpac gasket. It's never leaked...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same one I have and it’s cheaper through Amazon than direct. I also use the blue gasket with metal core

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I run a cast BTE pan and a Farpac gasket. It's never leaked...

I run exactly the same. BTE finned cast pan..... Love the FarPac material. The Hughes looks like a well engineered design.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hughes tapered pan with baffle pretty damn skippy. Don't know if it's $250 skippy, but it's fundamentally nice / loaded. Fast Top Dragster ready definitely.

A cast pan is really the way to go, it'll act as a girdle to the case. Makes it a modular unit with farpac gasket in play.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I'm in the market to buy a deep pan for a Power Glide and see that there are several to pick from. Moroso has an aluminum pan # 42000. I want to stay away from a steel or cast aluminum pan, the cast pan I have leaks.

Is anyone familiar with the Moroso pan? Any problems, etc.? When using the Moroso pan what bracket (manufacturer and part number) is necessary to connect the shift cable.

Thanks for the feed back.

Bob

There are some pretty strong points above on the cast pan, but FWIW....I use a stock glide case and stefs pan (very comparable to the moroso....but cheaper) never an issue. You may still encounter a pan rail leaking problem with a fabricated pan as the flanges are easy to warp if your not careful. I have worked with about every cast pan out there and never had an issue, more times than not its the dip stick tube and then it runs around the edge looking like a pan issue.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The transmission pan I have is a Bruno, it is part of the trans shield they made years ago. It's not aluminum but some material that required a coat of varnish (inside and out) to prevent leaking. Fluid seeps through the material they used. Over time it required a fresh coat or it would begin to leak, I got tired of repeating the process so a drip pan under the car became necessary.

I bought a Reid case years ago eliminating the need for the Bruno shield but I kept the pan. It's time to eliminate the problem which is the reason for a new pan. I will probably use either the Moroso or the Hughes, price is not a factor, I want this leak fixed for ever.

The one issue is that I fabricated a plate for my floor jack to remove the trans. The Hughes tapered pan and the Moroso thin aluminum pan might be a problem when using the jack.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't run a moroso aluminum pan for $25 dollars or even free for that matter, ya know it's made in china, look at it.

I'd probably give Hughes $150 for theirs, it's nice well thought out. Look at the drain plug. It's designed to last forever. High performance too.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, I’ll bet 99.9% of the trans pans on race power glides are not tapered.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Innovation.

The Hughes pan is high performance. Fast Top Dragster ready.

You get a car that accelerates real hard, the oil can crawl up the back of the pan behind the VB, and can uncover the pickup.

With this Hughes pan, you can put a check in the box of eliminating that variable.

Nice pan. MADE IN USA

I'd use a brass high flow filter with it, like this one.