DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Power Glide Deep Pan
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Glide Deep Pan
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bob, I’ll bet 99.9% of the trans pans on race power glides are not tapered.

I agree and question the purpose of the taper since I believe my deep cast pans do not protrude lower than the flywheel......so it's not a ground clearance thing.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Relative the flex plate, the taper on the Hughes pan provides more ground clearance, not less.

One of many reasons I said it's well thought out, innovative, high performance.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't own one. But they have only been out for I thin 4 years give or take. I was intrigued so I tried to learn a little about them. Video they made.

Be safe.

https://youtu.be/zLfrN9ogMwA

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I don't own one. But they have only been out for I thin 4 years give or take. I was intrigued so I tried to learn a little about them. Video they made.

Be safe.

https://youtu.be/zLfrN9ogMwA

Impartially speaking, I'm not a Hughes guy but that's a bad ass pan period. I'd run one.

Sonnax has a tapered pan as well with a baffle, the downside on theirs is, it's aluminum.

This man explains it well in the video.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Innovation.

The Hughes pan is high performance. Fast Top Dragster ready.

You get a car that accelerates real hard, the oil can crawl up the back of the pan behind the VB, and can uncover the pickup.

With this Hughes pan, you can put a check in the box of eliminating that variable.

Nice pan. MADE IN USA

I'd use a brass high flow filter with it, like this one.

First time I have seen this pan and it looks like a nice piece!

For years I have run a cast and finned PG pan, it's been so long I forget who makes it, thinking JW. It is not tapered and contains no baffling. My dragster has been .965 in 60' and I see no trans issues as a result of running this pan so based on that I see no requirement run a tapered pan! If I were in the market for one now I would consider a tapered pan, with or without baffling. I also agree that a cast pan provides added stiffness to the PG case vs fabricated AL pan so the higher HP combo's could see benefit. I do know racers that run the light weight fabricated pans with flat bottoms that run similar to my combo with no trans issues also.... but I have seen some of these leak.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know numerous TD racers and not one uses a tapered pan. IMO, the tapered pan offers no benefit. I’ll stay with the cast finned pan my transmission builders...BTE and Abruzzi installed.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Relative the flex plate, the taper on the Hughes pan provides more ground clearance, not less.

OK, I see I was wrong about the flywheel thing. I must have been thinking of my midplates. I know that I run shallow oil pans and low crank centerlines, low ride heights, and my trans pan will not hit first.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Whether the tapered pan makes a difference or not I have no idea but it sure isn't going to hurt anything. When I was looking at pans I just really liked the design and thought process behind it, regardless it is a quality piece.
http://www.hughesperformance.c...d-aluminum-oil-pans/

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Hughes pan, will be here Thursday.

Moroso Tech suggested NOT trying to remove the trans by jacking it up, the aluminum is too thin to support the weight of the transmission AND the 9" converter. I appreciate his honesty.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the input.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Innovation.

The Hughes pan is high performance. Fast Top Dragster ready.

You get a car that accelerates real hard, the oil can crawl up the back of the pan behind the VB, and can uncover the pickup.

With this Hughes pan, you can put a check in the box of eliminating that variable.

Nice pan. MADE IN USA

I'd use a brass high flow filter with it, like this one.

First time I have seen this pan and it looks like a nice piece!

For years I have run a cast and finned PG pan, it's been so long I forget who makes it, thinking JW. It is not tapered and contains no baffling. My dragster has been .965 in 60' and I see no trans issues as a result of running this pan so based on that I see no requirement run a tapered pan! If I were in the market for one now I would consider a tapered pan, with or without baffling. I also agree that a cast pan provides added stiffness to the PG case vs fabricated AL pan so the higher HP combo's could see benefit. I do know racers that run the light weight fabricated pans with flat bottoms that run similar to my combo with no trans issues also.... but I have seen some of these leak.

Results may have undetected nuances. I'll give you an example. A friend decided on a stock PG pan for his car 750-800hp sbc for whatever reason or didn't want the pan to be seen etc etc who knows why, it's his car to do as he pleases.

Anyway long story short he didn't notice anything unusual as far as operation, until he decided to reduce the number of clutches in high gear to speed the car up on my suggestion. I had just run a 5 second 1/8 mile n/a sbc 3200 lbs. He had 10 clutches in a sonnax drum so I made the suggestion to speed em up a little. If I recall correctly, they had maybe 50 laps on this trans with a stock pan.

It looked like it had 1050 laps on it when his trans guy took it apart. It was sucking the pan dry airing up the oil.

Airing up the oil to any level, is unacceptable IMO. There's nothing worse than retrieving misinformation on a combo over any amount of trips down the track burning fuel for no good reason.

Checking another variable box sounds like a pretty decent Idea to me. JMO

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:

OK, I see I was wrong about the flywheel thing. I must have been thinking of my midplates. I know that I run shallow oil pans and low crank centerlines, low ride heights, and my trans pan will not hit first.

I've been looking at these tapered pans for probably 10 years now, all it is.

Like I said, Sonnax has one as well.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Whatever pan you buy check the flange for flatness.
Bought a cast pan that my racing partner installed for me.
Never stopped leaking,removed it and here the flange was out .150 .

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you bought chinese junk

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I ordered a Hughes pan, will be here Thursday.

Moroso Tech suggested NOT trying to remove the trans by jacking it up, the aluminum is too thin to support the weight of the transmission AND the 9" converter. I appreciate his honesty.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the input.

Bob

If your car is anything like mine you will like the Hughes pan.
My altered has very little ground clearance and it really helped with that. That 2 inches extra ground clearance sure makes it easier to load car in trailer. With my wheelbase and motor transmission / motor location it was too low and would easily hit the trailer door. Rear engine dragsters will not have that problem as bad.
In any case it is good to have more fluid capacity and a baffle to keep filter covered. It is also good to have ground clearance.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
you bought chinese junk

Trans Specialties China junk

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
quote:
you bought chinese junk

Trans Specialties China junk

https://www.haascnc.com/video/demos.html

The flange is cut using a Haas mill like this one, in Aston PA.

Are you saying the mill cut a .150 dip in the flange? Post the photo you sent them to get it exchanged. I can't understand how the installer of the pan missed that. A .150 dip on a flat surface, would stick out like a sore thumb, wouldn't it?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ok guys after 40 years of assembling glides you have sparked my intrest in this. The deep finned alumnium pans we are using at present seem to work fine. No problems in that area at present time. The Hughes is little more money but certainly cant hurt and the added cost over what we have grown to know as standard is minimal,so will try one on next glide I do. Cant hurt.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike
It’s called operator error.
When they loaded the pan to machine it was either was too tight or not on the fixture pins.
I machined it flat in my haas.
If someone had checked it after milling they would have caught it.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
The Hughes is little more money but certainly cant hurt and the added cost over what we have grown to know as standard is minimal,so will try one on next glide I do.

SLICKSTER it holds less fluid and that can hurt fluid temps. As I stated, I’ll bet 99.9% of the trans pans on race power glides are not tapered. Me, I've got no fluid temp issues, no pans leaks and I don't want any so I have no need to try the latest marketing gimmick. I have a new glide being built right now and it too will have the same cast aluminum finned pan that is on my other two glides.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How much less fluid does it hold?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post