DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Power Glide Deep Pan
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Glide Deep Pan
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Ok guys after 40 years of assembling glides you have sparked my intrest in this. The deep finned alumnium pans we are using at present seem to work fine. No problems in that area at present time. The Hughes is little more money but certainly cant hurt and the added cost over what we have grown to know as standard is minimal,so will try one on next glide I do. Cant hurt.

He's spot on in the video in regards to the Dacron 904 - 727 fiber filters being restrictive. The brass 904 - 727 Torqeflite filters are difficult to find, but this is what I use on all my transmissions.

I buy filter adapter kits from TSR. This is what they look like. This is a high flow pickup.

MADE IN USA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
How much less fluid does it hold?

I obviously haven't measured, however description for both the BTE cast finned pan(which I have) nice piece! And the Hughes slopped baffled pan reflect having a 2 additional quart capacity over stock. Hence why I am curious on the statement they hold less. I won't buy a new pan just to have that feature but if I had to buy new I would certainly consider the Hughes.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
How much less fluid does it hold?

I obviously haven't measured, however description for both the BTE cast finned pan(which I have) nice piece! And the Hughes slopped baffled pan reflect having a 2 additional quart capacity over stock. Hence why I am curious on the statement they hold less. I won't buy a new pan just to have that feature but if I had to buy new I would certainly consider the Hughes.

Hughes pan doesn't hold less oil. Who said that?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Coan aluminum TB valve body

They supply the Mopar style Dacron filter with the VB

I like the brass screen so I just bought one....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I recently bought a Coan aluminum TB valve body

They supply the Mopar style Dacron filter with the VB

I like the brass screen so I just bought one....

They're getting hard to find, like anything else just about MADE IN USA.

Cool thing about TSR, I think, is everything they sell is MADE IN USA.

Everything they sell comes with a sticker, says MADE IN USA. Tells me they get it.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I have a new glide being built right now and it too will have the same cast aluminum finned pan that is on my other two glides.

Good idea to carry a spare trans since you're coming out west soon...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I switched from a standard deep cast pan to the Hughes pan I put the same amount of fluid back in.

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Do you really have to ask??

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Do you really have to ask??

Page 2

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
When I switched from a standard deep cast pan to the Hughes pan I put the same amount of fluid back in.

The Hughes pan is fast Top Dragster ready. Also meaning it has the capacity to eliminate sump variables for all drag cars, powerglide transmission.

Personally IMO, I think it's a good idea. Positive innovation.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if you believe there is merit to this tappered pan, you'll buy it, I don't and apparently I'm in good company with the who's who of race trans builders and the who's who of TD, TS and bracket racers who don't use this pan.

As to the amount of fluid this pan holds compared to the benchmark cast non tapped finned pan, the tappered pan can't hold the same volume of fluid with 3 of it's side reduced in height.

That said, there are few that post here who's info, data, replies I take as fact and Big Steve is one of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn't mean to start a shyte show, it really was a simple question.

All the pans mentioned (BTE/ATI/Sonax/Hughes,FTI, Moroso plus several I'm not listing) all work I bought a Hughes because I have a connection at Hughes and trust their products. Price wasn't a consideration, design and quality were.

I have resect for all you guys, otherwise I would not have asked for your opinion.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Wow, I didn't mean to start a shyte show, it really was a simple question.

All the pans mentioned (BTE/ATI/Sonax/Hughes,FTI, Moroso plus several I'm not listing) all work I bought a Hughes because I have a connection at Hughes and trust their products. Price wasn't a consideration, design and quality were.

I have resect for all you guys, otherwise I would not have asked for your opinion.

Bob

PG pans are serious business! Thinking outside the box is not to be tolerated, on such topics!! Laughing Hard

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have the very first hydroformed tapered pan that is now the sonnax pan, it was designed and manufactured by Dedenbear (Reid racing) and later sold the Pan deal to Sonnax. It's been in service on my car since 2001, never, not once had any kind of an issue. And the capacity has never been an issue making back to back runs 10-15 minutes apart in a 7.0X 1/4 mile car.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
if you believe there is merit to this tappered pan, you'll buy it, I don't and apparently I'm in good company with the who's who of race trans builders and the who's who of TD, TS and bracket racers who don't use this pan.

As to the amount of fluid this pan holds compared to the benchmark cast non tapped finned pan, the tappered pan can't hold the same volume of fluid with 3 of it's side reduced in height.

That said, there are few that post here who's info, data, replies I take as fact and Big Steve is one of them.

Hey eddy, I don't have a tapered pan, but I will install one on my no-name dragster when we race if it'll fuc with your head as much as this discussion....

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
I have the very first hydroformed tapered pan that is now the sonnax pan, it was designed and manufactured by Dedenbear (Reid racing) and later sold the Pan deal to Sonnax. It's been in service on my car since 2001, never, not once had any kind of an issue. And the capacity has never been an issue making back to back runs 10-15 minutes apart in a 7.0X 1/4 mile car.

The Hughes pan is of the same design as the Sonnax pan except it is cast aluminum instead of stamped aluminum. It even uses the tapered Sonnax filter spacer.
Like I said earlier I have no clue on where the taper makes any performance difference but at the time I wanted a pan with a baffle because I was seeing some cavitation in my trans pressure during the run. My choices for pans with a baffle were Sonnax or Hughes and at my HP level I felt the cast pan would add some strength to the case so I choose Hughes. Plus Hughes was sponsoring the #1 qualifier award in TD and TS. I received 4 of those awards last season.

A couple of facts I can attest to, it is a quality piece with a lot of thought put into it and not some chinese knock off pan.

My trans pressure is extremely stable at both ends of the track now, not showing any cavitation.

And also my trans with 10 inch converter took 9 qts of fluid before I put it on and still takes 9 qts after. You would think it holds less but apparently it does not.

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I sold hundreds of aluminum cast pans like shown. Never a leak issue ever. Definitely some best practices with gasket. Cork gaskets with proper faster torque is the best seal. Use a 12 point bolt with washer.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
If you got a slow sheetbox or a ladder rack on the throttle stop you may see no benefits from a tapered pan . Right

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:

The Hughes pan is of the same design as the Sonnax pan except it is cast aluminum instead of stamped aluminum. It even uses the tapered Sonnax filter spacer.
Like I said earlier I have no clue on where the taper makes any performance difference but at the time I wanted a pan with a baffle because I was seeing some cavitation in my trans pressure during the run. My choices for pans with a baffle were Sonnax or Hughes and at my HP level I felt the cast pan would add some strength to the case so I choose Hughes. Plus Hughes was sponsoring the #1 qualifier award in TD and TS. I received 4 of those awards last season.

A couple of facts I can attest to, it is a quality piece with a lot of thought put into it and not some chinese knock off pan.

My trans pressure is extremely stable at both ends of the track now, not showing any cavitation.

And also my trans with 10 inch converter took 9 qts of fluid before I put it on and still takes 9 qts after. You would think it holds less but apparently it does not.
the reason for the tapered pan was simply to gain ground clearance and add fluid capacity. It sits the pan bottom level with the ground. The sonnax one is hydroformed

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post