Find
Notify
Tools

Battery charger
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of tony palmieri
posted
What's a good charger to use between rounds? I have a 1500 watt generator and the charger I have now seems to get stuck on trickle mode

tony palmieri

Posts: 19 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Some say this is the best "racing" battery charger...

http://rockracingbattery.com/p...17526&cat=249&page=1

same charger as the Moroso 74016 and both are made by...

http://interacter.com/products...ack-series-overview/

Whatever you do, don't buy any charger built by, sold by either directly or for private label...Schumacher.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's stuck on trickle mode because the battery is charged? Are you running an alternator? I never charge between rounds, I put the maintainer on if I'm there overnight. Other than that, just the alternator seems to take care of things.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
What's the output voltage of your generator? If it's low, the battery charger will be low also.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1298 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of tony palmieri
posted Hide Post
Not running an alternator, the charger works fine plugged into 110 outlet at home, I tried it on a 4500watt generator also and did the same thing. I'm thinking it's probaly my charger but didn't want to waist money on another one that might do the same

tony palmieri

Posts: 19 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Are your generators inverter type? If not and the charger is CPU controlled, then you will have issues. When using a non inverter type generator, the good ole dumb roll around 2 switch/dial with an analog amp meter chargers are best for batteries, yet you need to watch them. Dont put on 40 amps and walk away. 40 amps until the draw drops to about 10 or 15 amps then click over to 2 amp trickle. This keeps the battery from cooking, i did this with AGM batteries and get 7-8 years out of a yellow top. I am using one of the AGM battery chargers now with a CPU, seeing how i like it. So far so good, but both my gens are inverter style.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something? You said "the charger works fine plugged into 110 outlet at home" and "I'm thinking it's probaly my charger".

Please explain how the charger know to work fine when plugged into the house but not the genarator?

Again check the VOLTAGE of your generator. I seen people run their junk at 92 volts and their house is 123.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1298 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I second what Slick says as I had same issue with my 16 volt charger and a non inverter type generator. I bought a Honda and problem solved.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of tony palmieri
posted Hide Post
The generator is a inverter type and I do have a constant 120v at the plug, I barrowed a charger from a buddy like the one you described and it seemed to work good thanks for the info

tony palmieri

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
check the hertz of the generator, many times smaller generators the hertz climbs and falls with engine speed it needs to be 60 for many items to work correctly.

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Whatever you do, don't buy any charger built by, sold by either directly or for private label...Schumacher.

The Interacter is less here, not counting shipping.

Battery Stuff

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Whats this charging between rounds thing??

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320RACER That black charger you have pictured next to your car is cool and I like the way the cord plugs in to it. Bonus its black and will match my car. clapping

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have two of them, one for each car. Big Grin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them (rock)...most overpriced crap in racing next to price of Hoosiers. Only reason I have so many is the 16V systems on most of our cars. NEARLY $500.00 for a new Rock charger is far from reasonable IMO American made or not.

If 12 volt, buy the stand up Schumacher...last many years longer for 1/2 the price! Have 2 of them and one is nearly as old as my 20 year old son Cory.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you buy a 16 volt charger buy one that also charges 12 then you got both covered with one charger.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

The Interacter is less here, not counting shipping.

Battery Stuff

I was going to order one from Battery Stuff since they are close but they don't stock them. The charger is dropped shipped from Interactor and ends up being $435. Rock was $429 with free shipping although I ordered one on Jan 1 and still don't have it. They called me a week later and said Interactor was behind on production and may be a couple weeks out.

I called to check again at the end of the month but they still don't have a confirmed ship date. Summit has the Moroso version in stock but it would be $560 with tax for the same charger.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
http://www.atiracing.com/produ...batteries/index.html

The Interactor 12V/16V Battery Charger and Hoosiers have no equal no mind better!

schumacher = chinese junk!!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have two XS Intelichargers, one set on 16 volts for the race car , the other set on 12 volts to charge the motor home house batteries.

I removed the race car 16 volt alternator for two reasons, the first was out of concern that it might have been interfering with one or several of the electrical systems in the race car. Because of the drive ratio it was only producing a charge above 4000 rpm, below that it wasn't charging anything. The second reason was removing that 11 pounds of dead weight off the nose of the car. That alone should help improve the RT since I primarily race on a .400 Pro Tree.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I have two XS Intelichargers, one set on 16 volts for the race car , the other set on 12 volts to charge the motor home house batteries.

I removed the race car 16 volt alternator for two reasons, the first was out of concern that it might have been interfering with one or several of the electrical systems in the race car. Because of the drive ratio it was only producing a charge above 4000 rpm, below that it wasn't charging anything. The second reason was removing that 11 pounds of dead weight off the nose of the car. That alone should help improve the RT since I primarily race on a .400 Pro Tree.

Bob

Morning Bob! I had the same thing on the SD alt so I changed the 3” alt pulley to a 2.5. It now runs at 75% idle. I have not had the interference yet....

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post