Notify
Tools

Battery charger
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
you're welcome, it's what I do and why I post here.

Shake head

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4526 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lol

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
you're welcome, it's what I do and why I post here.

Shake head

Lol

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Luke Siebert turned me onto this for 12v. It works quite well with my Redtop.
https://cloreautomotive.com/product/pl2320/
They are out of Kansas. Good price on Amazon when I bought mine.

Posts: 144 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
chinese junk

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
It is made in china, but I disagree on this one being junk.

Posts: 144 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tell us that in few years from now.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Still going strong

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Still chinese junk and I said tell us in a few years not days Didn't think of that

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about this. I think in general people are too aggressive with charging batteries, especially those running alternators. I personally charge my batteries with a 5amp charger/maintainer between rounds. It is at full charge almost every pass minus hot laps late in a race and certainly close enough to easily start the car and have the alternator working. I went out 6th round two weeks ago and I think between 5th and 6th is the only time it didn't show fully charged. I am in no way knocking anyone's methods I just think the gentler you charge the longer batteries may last and I personally see no need to charge it with 10, 15, 20 or more amps. Overnight at the track and 24/7 at home I use a 1.25 amp maintainer. If I didn't run an alternator maybe I would need more but in practice the 5amp maintainer has worked great for the last three seasons. I did put two new batteries in this year however they had 5 seasons on them with using a maintainer to charge during their lifetime. The person I purchased it from was an electronics guru and I followed his advice on my charging program and the car did not have an alternator when I purchased it. Just my experience on the subject and I am sure there are differening opinions and practices.

BG

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Ive had it for 3 seasons.

When it ****s the bed, I will go back to the old NAPA charger, but it works just fine.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
must be true, I read it on an internet forum.

Meanwhile, the communist government thanks you and all Americans that fund their military machine and America's economic dependence on their country by purchasing the cheap junk they produce. They know most Americans don't care about their country, liberties and freedoms!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

Meanwhile, the communist government thanks you and all Americans that fund their military machine and America's economic dependence on their country by purchasing the cheap junk they produce. They know most Americans don't care about their country, liberties and freedoms!

You changed objections to it mid stream. And it is the same mistake many make about China products. You started off calling the product junk. Frankly, China products have been on a steady INCLINE catching declining American quality for years. With careful buying, the difference between decently quality China products and average quality American products is small today. That's my opinion and you can have yours.

Now your second rant about China products of course is spot on. However, I have been that one man protester with my wallet for long periods in my life. And what did it do to china? And what did it do to my buying power? We need US policies that make all of us a protester of China. Without that its pissin in the wind. If you want to continue to protest with your wallet, I fully support you. I gave up on that fruitless cause. For every one of you, there are 10 million who don't care.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I replaced the carb on one of my Onan 4KY generators 2 days ago.

I am an Onan dealer and buy at dealer prices
The carb from Cummins-Onan is a $300 + item retail price
A Made in China knockoff is $45 delivered in one day
The Onan parts are often not available, on back order for who knows how long and very costly

The list price for that carb is $355 and it's a little one barrel....and the carb for a 7KW unit lists for $380 and you can buy knockoffs of those for $50

I've had to start buying those carbs and fuel pumps due to NO availability from Cummins....

I have had ZERO problems with the knockoffs.

The American companies are getting beat to death by China and yes it will hurt us in the long run and already is but it is nearly impossible to justify parts costing so much more from an American company

And the worst part is many are using Made in China parts and charging ridiculously high prices for them...

The average consumer is not going spend $300 for something he can buy for $50.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

You changed objections to it mid stream. And it is the same mistake many make about China products. You started off calling the product junk. Frankly, China products have been on a steady INCLINE catching declining American quality for years. With careful buying, the difference between decently quality China products and average quality American products is small today. That's my opinion and you can have yours.

Now your second rant about China products of course is spot on. However, I have been that one man protester with my wallet for long periods in my life. And what did it do to china? And what did it do to my buying power? We need US policies that make all of us a protester of China. Without that its pissin in the wind. If you want to continue to protest with your wallet, I fully support you. I gave up on that fruitless cause. For every one of you, there are 10 million who don't care.

Well said.

Unless you are giving up that big tv on the wall or that phone in your pocket you really have zero standing to blast everyone else. You knowingly support them as well.

I agree the only real change needs to be by our government. If you want to complain they have the power to control import export.

BG

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

The Onan parts are often not available, on back order for who knows how long and very costly

The list price for that carb is $355 and it's a little one barrel....and the carb for a 7KW unit lists for $380 and you can buy knockoffs of those for $50

I've had to start buying those carbs and fuel pumps due to NO availability from Cummins....

The American companies are getting beat to death by China and yes it will hurt us in the long run and already is but it is nearly impossible to justify parts costing so much more from an American company

And the worst part is many are using Made in China parts and charging ridiculously high prices for them...

Good point and example as well. And sometimes American business is its own worst enemy. Keeping minimal stock. Overcharging. If you took every lick of labor out of that expensive carb, would that bring it down to $50? I highly doubt that there is that much labor in a tiny carb. And certainly the American made unit has the advantage shipping cost wise. So where does all the expense come from if not American workers and shipping? If China can make it for $50, make a profit in that price, actually have it in stock and have a piece that meets quality expectations........who is at fault here? And no, government regulations didn't add $330 to the cost of that carb.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Americans that don't care about their country, liberties and freedoms will always find excuses to justify their purchases of cheap Chinese garbage that funds the Chinese military machine and furthers America's economic dependence on their country.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Americans that don't care about their country, liberties and freedoms will always find excuses to justify their purchases of cheap Chinese garbage that funds the Chinese military machine and furthers America's economic dependence on their country.

China doesn't even need a military...

They will win the war without firing a shot...

Their system is killing our system.....with economics...and way more people.....

Our politicians and Corporate leaders and WALL STREET are to blame. And the fact that it is a global marketplace now.

Ship load upon ship load of imports

Once upon a time it was Japan but we set them up for success

We are pawns in a Chess game and we're losing....

America is stores that sell it all and fast food restaurants.....

Blaming consumers (us) is not going to help or reverse the trend...

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Good point and example as well. And sometimes American business is its own worst enemy. Keeping minimal stock. Overcharging. If you took every lick of labor out of that expensive carb, would that bring it down to $50? I highly doubt that there is that much labor in a tiny carb. And certainly the American made unit has the advantage shipping cost wise. So where does all the expense come from if not American workers and shipping? If China can make it for $50, make a profit in that price, actually have it in stock and have a piece that meets quality expectations........who is at fault here? And no, government regulations didn't add $330 to the cost of that carb.

What makes you think that Onan carb was US made? Nothing to me. The high price is because they can and had no competition in the past. You had no option but buy from them. Now there are options and it will surely hurt their bottom line....so they raise prices even higher......and thats exacty what they are doing....and have done.

Onan was a great AMERCICAN company for many, many years like many others.

Built high quality machines and all their own engines. MILLIONS of those engines were used in all kinds of machinery. MANUFACTURING LONG GONE and everything they sell is built from outsourced components....
That happened long before Cummins took them over.....Same story repeated many times in the US as far as big manufacturing....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great point Rich. Often I think I am buying American, and end up with overpriced China stuff when it arrives.

To Ed's point, sure there are lots of people who don't care. But there are a lot who do care, but see that there individual effort to bust China's balls is fruitless.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo