DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    So, The Journey to 700 lb ft Torque begins
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, The Journey to 700 lb ft Torque begins
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
285 + 292 = 577/4 = 144.25 - 108 = 36.5 x 2 = 72.5 overlap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
what has been done differently in this build to run on pump gas? and are you talking 89..91..or 93>

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
what has been done differently in this build to run on pump gas? and are you talking 89..91..or 93>

This is the third edition Big Block Chevrolet pump gas muscle car/ hot street / bracket racing engine I've done in a year, well fourth if we count the 462 in the white 70 Nova, but we'll leave that out it was more a daily driver; smaller hydraulic roller cam.

All three had the same Pro Comp cylinder heads, 100% ported 4500 carb flange intake manifolds, 6.385 connecting rods, steel crankshafts, Rockers, push rods, Dominator carb, Distributor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, pump gas compression ratio.

All three engines on the dyno share the same Dominator carb, distributor, spark plug wires, spark plugs.

First engine - BBC 496 Crower Beast hydraulic roller camshaft 110 Lobe Separation Angle made 622 lb ft tq @ 5700, 710 hp at 6700 rpm.

Second Engine - BBC 468 Lunati UDHarold design solid roller camshaft 110 Lobe Separation Angle made 585 lb ft tq @ 5900, 702 hp at 6700 rpm.

Third engine - BBC 489 Lunati custom solid roller camshaft 108 Lobe Separation Angle. We ported the cylinder heads as well, looking to make 700 lb ft torque and 750 hp. David Vizard lobe separation angle approach for these types of engines - Muscle car / Hot Street / mild Bracket racing.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
10:1 compression 91-93 octane, sorry forgot to answer.

I like this 108 lobe separation custom Lunati solid roller camshaft for the objectives at hand, a lot. It'll be interesting.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
welcome to 2005 Roll Eyes and dyno numbers don't mean shyt unless you're competing at the EMC.

The time slip is the final arbiter!

The real deal, Big Block Chevrolet pump gas muscle car/ hot street / bracket racing engine.

11:1 468 BBC, factory cast iron oval port heads. single plane manifold. Crower 6.135 connecting rods, Crower crankshaft, Crane wide body TR roller rockers, NO stud gridle, Pro Systems 1000HP/4150 carb, LSM solid roller cam spec'd my me. Engine assembled by SCDIV1.

Don't know, don't care what it made on the dyno but those that know said over 700HP and 700 ft./lbs. torque based on seeing the performance of what was the best working, small tire, Chevelle in the country that also weighed 3880 lbs. and was footbraked launched running a 10.07/132 MPH best and a 1.28 60 foot.

NOTHING in NHRA Division 1 back in the early to mid 2000s could touch it with a near weight car yet all were hundreds of pounds lighter, having a n/a 468, 496, 502 or 540 and all had more of every thing...heads, carb, cam, headers, yada, yada, yada.

This ALL steel Chevelle is the the real deal "factory condition muscle car" complete with triple chrome plated original bumpers, the full factory interior including seats, console, shifter, rear seat, etc. power steering, power brakes, rear window defogger, wipers, heater and the quarter panels have not been trimmed nor rolled.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Those are excellent numbers.

Probably no one on the planet could have touched it Hot Street / Muscle / bracket - get it right.

Cam specs? 107 LSA right?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yep

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
yep

You got pretty penny for it too, I'm sure/ I hope.

I saw it the other night on YouTube, drag racing in Europe, Germany I think.

Still has the same NHRA number on it.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I did and it does. I don't sell junk. I had the engine rebuilt by Rich and parts of the car repainted as part of the deal. RIP Steve aka the Wop.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I did and it does. I don't sell junk. I had the engine rebuilt by Rich and parts of the car repainted as part of the deal. RIP Steve aka the Wop.

That's why he runs your NHRA number on the car - admiration.

I admire the camshaft, the previous engine builder choose for Costelllos daughters dragster, I think it's excellent.

I'm the same way, when I sell something I don't want the person to know me as a hack.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You’re only as good as your word and those that know me in business as well personally know my word is as good as gold!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Im admiring this civil converation!! merry christmas to ed and mike!!

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tis the season, I'm no Grinch,,, Merry Christmas! Happy New year Sir!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

X2!

ED has been civil in his posts since Dec. 23 after one or two other posts. As long as he continues, I will do the same & seems like Mike is also. Wink

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I concur!
Perhaps with this cold spell, "Hell" has indeed frozen over!

One thing that has always bothered me was the throwing around of the term "retar#". The only time that term should be used here is about timing & cam position, in my opinion.

I'll be interested in the ets as well once they hit the track.
I know Ed's Chevelles ets, but sorta apples to oranges, but both can run in similar air.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
quote:

I concur!
Perhaps with this cold spell, "Hell" has indeed frozen over!

One thing that has always bothered me was the throwing around of the term "retar#". The only time that term should be used here is about timing & cam position, in my opinion.

I'll be interested in the ets as well once they hit the track.
I know Ed's Chevelles ets, but sorta apples to oranges, but both can run in similar air

If this third edition pans out Tq and Hp, I'm fairly certain we'll put it in the third gen Camaro, we'll make a swap + $$ for the 710 hp hydraulic roller 496 version and plug the new version in that car.

I've got a couple others claiming the new version is theirs, so if one of those people come off green backs prior to dynoing the new version, that would be the only way it won't see the third gen Camaro.

We've been having problems with the third gen vapor locking the belt pump, losing fuel pressure since day one down to like 2psi. I made one hit in it Sunshine on a Wednesday in real poor conditions, it ran a good et for how poor it felt skipping down the track but not good in the grand scheme of things.

I just put a BLP bypass regulator on it to keep the fuel circulating, after it got back from the Turkey Rod runs in Daytona Beach, we're optimistic that was the fix.

I drove it through the gate at Sunshine a quarter to ten, they close the lanes at ten. Engine was hot, 200 degrees, vapor locking the pump, ran dirty from a to b 6.70 105 mph, 710 hp hydraulic roller cam 496 version. Third gen is 3450 lbs with driver.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've got a 3.50 gear in it now on a locker, 1.80 straight powerglide. I put together a chunk with a spool for the next time we drive it to Sunshine on a Wednesday night. 4.56, I'll have a set of 10x28 M/T slicks on it for the next ride out there as well.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I did a lot more than just “assembling” Ed’s Chevelle engines.

The heads took a lot of work and I did 2 sets over the years plus sets for others and applied what I know to the rest of the engine to make it run well

Ed did spec the cams himself and I believe they were from LSM but not sure on that

Ed is real good at giving credit where credit was due and I got a lot of work from his referrals.
Thanks Ed !

His Chevelle was without a doubt a show quality piece and was raced multi days per week a lot for years.

It started out street driven and evolved and on a decent track was impressive

We had some failures but s-h-I-t happens and in this sport if you run your stuff a lot it’s gonna happen pretty much to everyone

I spent today working on a new 400 SB bracket motor

The old garage and this old geezer still are able to knock out an engine now and then

Merry Christmas

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I did a lot more than just “assembling” Ed’s Chevelle engines.

The heads took a lot of work and I did 2 sets over the years plus sets for others and applied what I know to the rest of the engine to make it run well

Ed did spec the cams himself and I believe they were from LSM but not sure on that

Ed is real good at giving credit where credit was due and I got a lot of work from his referrals.
Thanks Ed !

His Chevelle was without a doubt a show quality piece and was raced multi days per week a lot for years.

It started out street driven and evolved and on a decent track was impressive

We had some failures but s-h-I-t happens and in this sport if you run your stuff a lot it’s gonna happen pretty much to everyone

I spent today working on a new 400 SB bracket motor

The old garage and this old geezer still are able to knock out an engine now and then

Merry Christmas

Damn right. Fact.

Merry Christmas Sir