DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    16 volt battery. Again
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 volt battery. Again
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
Okay ran the new dragster last night and found out the small 12 volt battery is not going to cut it. There is no way or place to put an alternator on this. I have always ran 12 volt system with alternator and never had any issues. Now with no alternator it is not going to work. So, I did some search here and the XS power 16 volt seems like a good one, the Golithium appears to be a good lithium battery.
One question I have is the XS 1000 battery only has like 675 cold cranking amps if I remember right some of the 12 volts batteries have 900 or more CCA? My Optima 12v has 800, how will 675 last longer and start better?
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...912/m/2597009776/p/1

Any more opinions on what battery and charger?
I do not ever want to get up to burnout box and it not start again.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered if 16V actually has any more reserve. If you want to turn it over faster, voltage does it. But is there actually more stored energy in the battery?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Xp1000 will crank it just fine....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I have always wondered if 16V actually has any more reserve. If you want to turn it over faster, voltage does it. But is there actually more stored energy in the battery?

That is really my question the 12 volt spun it over fine as far as RPM but the wimpy battery did not have enough reserve or CCA to start it and I want to eliminate any possibility of it happening again. It was just a test and tune on the new car but next week is a race.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is really my question the 12 volt spun it over fine as far as RPM but the wimpy battery did not have enough reserve or CCA to start it and I want to eliminate any possibility of it happening again. It was just a test and tune on the new car but next week is a race.

bruce what does thatmean?spinning but no fire,too much voltage drop or?????i use the go lithium but if something else is going on 16 volts may not fix the issue

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just dont cheap out on the charger!!, get either the XS or the Moroso/Rock smart chargers. I leave mine plugged in 24/7 to maintain the charge. Make sure the first thing you do is plug in the charger when you get back from a run, even if your hot lapping and its only plugged in for 10 minutes it makes a difference.
Just a warning, 16V batteries are like the ones on your cordless drills, 1 minutes they are fine and will spin over like the plugs are out and the next minute they are dead.

That being said, I have been running 16V and no alternator for 6 years without any issues other than my first Rock battery dying in less than 2 years, been using XS since without any problems

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if i was not useing lithium it would be xs

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Just dont cheap out on the charger!!, get either the XS or the Moroso/Rock smart chargers. I leave mine plugged in 24/7 to maintain the charge. Make sure the first thing you do is plug in the charger when you get back from a run, even if your hot lapping and its only plugged in for 10 minutes it makes a difference.
Just a warning, 16V batteries are like the ones on your cordless drills, 1 minutes they are fine and will spin over like the plugs are out and the next minute they are dead.

That being said, I have been running 16V and no alternator for 6 years without any issues other than my first Rock battery dying in less than 2 years, been using XS since without any problems

2nd the correct battery charger..

I first started using the Schumacher 16 volt charger, then for some reason the battery started going dead quicker. Borrowed the XS charger from a friend and everything went back to good again. So I bought a new XS charger. Some batteries have to have XX amps put in to get them to start accepting a charge then they drop back. Not all chargers will do that..

I too use the XS1000 battery. No issues..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Here ya go Bruce some good info..

Charging rates

This is the charger most use for the XS AGM batteries. It charges according to the above info.

XS Charger

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When I got the car it had two of the small Oddessy 680 batteries so I thought I would try them but it was a failure. They only have 170 CCA each for a total of 340 CCA and that did not work. I have too much electrical for it to keep up with. May work with an alternator but still on small side.
I do have room to put an Optima battery or a 16 volt battery there so going to do something that gives me more reserve to work with.
The battery is mounted in the nose of the dragster and it does not have a wheelie problem so I would be okay with the lightweight Go lithium battery if it is able to start it every time. My main concern is what gives me most starts before it is dead.

My thinking here and I may be wrong but Cold Cranking Amps equals more starts (what I need) and 16 volt spins it faster.
Spinning it faster certainly will not hurt anything but what I need is more starts before the battery is dead at least until I am able to get an alternator that will fit and work.

Or do you get more starts out of 16 volt even with less CCA due to higher voltage?

I was only able to make one pass last night before the battery went dead and I wan to eliminate that from ever happening again. It was test and tune, lot of cars out there and had to start it quite a few times to get up there and move forward. Grounds are good, wiring is good just battery was too small and no alternator.

So I guess my question here is would a 1000 CCA 12 volt battery or the 675 CCA 16 volt battery work best for my needs?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would also say that I am going to spend some money here and I am not concerned about the safety of the Golithium batteries as far as I know there has not been any issues with them. They are a little expensive but not that much more than 16 volt stuff.

Sure I would like to save a little money and it is always good to save some weight but my main concern here is starting power.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Obviously a 12 volt battery would be your cheapest route since you would not have to buy a charger, but will it be your best route since you have no alternator? I have been running the XS XP1000 with no alternator without any issues at all but I keep it properly charged too. I can say I have every bit of the same electronics as you plus a much higher amp ignition system and a blower to spin over now and no problems ever. I will tell you your starter, fan and water pump will all spin faster and all your electronics, especially your ignition system will be much happier with 16 volts. Just my 2 cents

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously a 12 volt battery would be your cheapest route since you would not have to buy a charger, but will it be your best route since you have no alternator? I have been running the XS XP1000 with no alternator without any issues at all but I keep it properly charged too. I can say I have every bit of the same electronics as you plus a much higher amp ignition system and a blower to spin over now and no problems ever. I will tell you your starter, fan and water pump will all spin faster and all your electronics, especially your ignition system will be much happier with 16 volts. Just my 2 cents

What is a happier ignition like?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if i had to buy a battery for a race car it would be 16 volt.and by the 12 has always been fine on mine.if you have the 2 go lithiums in paralell is the cats meow

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

What is a happier ignition like?

One that always has more than enough voltage to operate properly, but that s JMO, your results may vary haha.
Of course a 12 volt system with an alternator putting out 14-15 volts is a non issue, but a 12 volts system without an alternator and 10 volts could be an issue and cause an un happy ignition system

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Had the Braile small 12v in FED.It spun fine just not more than cpl times before getting slow. Bought the 16v and it spind faster and have spun it for oil pressure(takes a while long than chevy),cranked it half dozen times and worked on electrical system for while,forgot to turn power off for cpl hours(not a lot on but still cpl items) and it still spun motor like plugs where out of it. My results with it I would say has bunch more reserve due to not working as hard to spin as it would be for lower voltage battery.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
A inverter generator is a big plus when using microchip controlled chargers too . Consistent a.c. voltage is rather important .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I had a power master battery that didn’t last much more than a year and went back to turbostart and I believe it has more reserve that the power master, it is heavier though

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
A inverter generator is a big plus when using microchip controlled chargers too . Consistent a.c. voltage is rather important .

I do have two very nice quiet Champion inverter generators.

If I go with the 16 volt XS1000 or the Golithium I will use their charger.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just my two cents but I would do my best to figure out a way to put an alternator on it.

If you do that you don’t need the big fancy charger, you can just use a maintainer. I’ve been using the Autometer and it works great. This is the sixth season on my XS battery.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post