DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    16 volt battery. Again
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 volt battery. Again
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
bruce it seems that you are not getting charged fast enough,like a low amp charger. or you have too much voltage drop to the starter

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify I am not having problems with the new car just do not want to run with out alternator unless I have no other choice.

Thank you for the bridge rectifier, I did not know what it was. Those little Shogun alternators are not much but it may help. Better than nothing and even a mini alternator will not fit any where so looks like it may be my only choice.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Wild West 2:
The Shogun "regulator" is actually just a bridge rectifier. It came with a 25 amp rectifier, but you can put a higher rated one on there. I have a 40 amp rectifier on mine. Not that it will cause the "dynamo" to put out more current, it is just a higher rated unit that would be a little stronger. Listed below is the 25 amp rectifier that you can order from Amazon. You just need to make sure you connect it properly. 2 posts show the AC sinewave and the other posts are marked + and -. And you can use it on a 16 volt battery.

https://www.amazon.com/NTE-Ele...06531536&sr=8-6&th=1

Thank you, is this the same thing?
https://www.amazon.com/Bridgol...d_i=B07MFVLSZK&psc=1
If so I will buy it and have a few spares for same price.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
Yes, those should work just fine. Please make sure you mount it to something that will not conduct heat to it . It should be mounted somewhere that will allow for heat transfer from the rectifier to the mounting surface. Those rectifiers do get hot. You should also use heat sink paste on the mounting surface when you bolt it down.

Also, Shogun recommends that the output of the rectifier be wired directly to the battery. Not a junction point for the battery. The battery is what buffers or controls the voltage level, so you really need the rectifier connected straight to it.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Wild West 2:
Yes, those should work just fine. Please make sure you mount it to something that will not conduct heat to it . It should be mounted somewhere that will allow for heat transfer from the rectifier to the mounting surface. Those rectifiers do get hot. You should also use heat sink paste on the mounting surface when you bolt it down.

Also, Shogun recommends that the output of the rectifier be wired directly to the battery. Not a junction point for the battery. The battery is what buffers or controls the voltage level, so you really need the rectifier connected straight to it.

Thank you! I will order them and probably use the wimpy Shogun alternator. So do you happen to have the old Shogun instructions or wiring?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
I will check if I still have the original instructions. But it was pretty simple for the wiring. The original "dynamo" had a 2 wire connector and the kit came with a short pigtail connector with 2 wires. The connectors would fit together and the 2 wires would be connected to the rectifier on the "AC" or sinewave terminals (they should be diagonal from each other. The other 2 terminals on the rectifier are labeled + and -. Those need to connect directly to the battery terminals using at least a 12 or 10 gauge wire.

As far as mounting the "dynamo", I would NOT recommend mounting it so that it runs against the harmonic dampener, that is if it still has the ribbed belt glued around the bell. I had to fabricate a mounting block to move the "dynamo" mount out further from the block so that I could use a short belt to turn the "dynamo" bell.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I was going to mount it directly under the balancer and use a short belt but the belts will not line up. Spent much of the day trying to find a way to make it work. Just not going to happen.

Once again Thank you for your help. We tried.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
Since you have the room for an Optima, and reserve is a concern on a 16v battery, I would recommend going with 2 Go Lithium batteries. Two of them together is nearly the identical size to an Optima battery, and they're only 9 lbs each.
I have been running two 16v Go Lithium's and no alternator for three years, and no hint of an issue. Yes, they are pricey, but guys are getting 8-10 years out of them. Pro rated out, they're not a bad price for a very high quality battery.

I am a dealer, so feel free to call me with any questions you may have.
970-302-1534

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you have the room for an Optima, and reserve is a concern on a 16v battery, I would recommend going with 2 Go Lithium batteries. Two of them together is nearly the identical size to an Optima battery, and they're only 9 lbs each.
I have been running two 16v Go Lithium's and no alternator for three years, and no hint of an issue. Yes, they are pricey, but guys are getting 8-10 years out of them. Pro rated out, they're not a bad price for a very high quality battery.

I am a dealer, so feel free to call me with any questions you may have.
970-302-1534

x2 and these batteries are rebuildlble not desposables.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
While I have lot less electrical requirement than most here. Data logger,sle,one fan and primer pump and starter,
My 16v does a great job of cranking faster and more times than the 12 volt I had in caqr originally. I have cranked car I know dozen times when firs got going good just tuning in fuel system. Lots of cranking till got primer worked out, I
I did have one go bad but was after long day of cranking issues and a few floodings to the point of hydraulicing and locking up putting huge strain on starter and battery.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post