DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    EV charging on the road
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV charging on the road
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
You get a roof rack then put a harbour freight generator on top filled with $5 gallon gas and your set if pelosi turns your power off.

Five? Not out here!
Diesel7.50 now
5.90-6.10 reg

Now Chevron Refinery on a shut down here.., watch it hit around 8 bucks!

There are refinery’s all around us here, we pay more than anywhere in the country! Wtf!
It’s no wonder everyone is moving!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Saw a post that said it was $.32 per minute to charge your vehicle. This was in a Walmart parking lot.
Almost $20 per hour.
8 hours to fully charge?
Cost to operate, $.44 per mile.

Yeah, buying an EV to avoid the cost of driving is ALMOST as stupid as trying bracket race to make money.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
You get a roof rack then put a harbour freight generator on top filled with $5 gallon gas and your set if pelosi turns your power off.

Five? Not out here!
Diesel7.50 now
5.90-6.10 reg

Now Chevron Refinery on a shut down here.., watch it hit around 8 bucks!

There are refinery’s all around us here, we pay more than anywhere in the country! Wtf!
It’s no wonder everyone is moving!

There has not been a new refinery built in the US since 1976.
We MUST abolish the EPA and all the ignorant regulations (LAWS) and illegal fines (TAXES), and I believe the SCOTUS ruling is a step in that direction.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and I believe the SCOTUS ruling is a step in that direction.

One step forward and two steps back makes for a long row to hoe.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
...and I believe the SCOTUS ruling is a step in that direction.

One step forward and two steps back makes for a long row to hoe.

???
What are the 2 steps back?

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a new tesla coming in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know real numbers. I will be charging at home, off my overproduction solar system. So most likely I'll be paying almost nothing for power and with a 308 mile range and a 40 mile round trip commute, I don't see ever really needing to charge anywhere else and it'll save me 20 minutes round trip to the nearest gas station since there are no gas stations on my commute.

Oh, and 0-60 in 3.1 seconds

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
With gas approaching $7 a gallon I currently spend almost the entire cost of the new tesla in gas right now.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Weird that Tesla can deliver new cars when I can't get a new truck I ordered in January. Confused

So you got the $60k Tesla?

I'm struggling with your math.

You claim a 40 mile commute, lets say 250 days a year, that's 10,000 miles a year, 20 mpg average work beater, 500 gallons @ $5 per gallon is $2500 per year, and you are going to save money by spending $60k, or are you getting the $102k model???
You're home charging isn't free, and as DEMAND goes up (dependency) the cost of your home electricity will "necessarily skyrocket".

Now if you're spending $60k on fuel traveling around in your race rig, I guess all you need to do is figure out how to tow with that Tesla.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
With gas approaching $7 a gallon I currently spend almost the entire cost of the new tesla in gas right now.

On a 40 mile commute..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If you want to justify that purchase for the performance and cool status, go you, otherwise you're sucking smoke up your own azz. Laughing Hard

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Saw a post that said it was $.32 per minute to charge your vehicle. This was in a Walmart parking lot.
Almost $20 per hour.
8 hours to fully charge?

Yeah, buying an EV to avoid the cost of driving is ALMOST as stupid as trying bracket race to make money.

I saw the Facebook post earlier today, and specifically came to this thread to post it as a joke to see how many people would actually believe it... and here we are. LMAO!

None of this is even close to true, no matter how much people want to BELIEVE it, just because they want to score some imaginary points. There are plenty of real issues with EV's that could be debated without resorting to simply fabricating things out of whole cloth. smh...

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
quote:
Almost $20 per hour.
8 hours to fully charge?

I saw the Facebook post earlier today, and specifically came to this thread to post it as a joke to see how many people would actually believe it... and here we are. LMAO!

None of this is even close to true, no matter how much people want to BELIEVE it, just because they want to score some imaginary points. There are plenty of real issues with EV's that could be debated without resorting to simply fabricating things out of whole cloth. smh...

Almost as hilarious as someone thinking they can save money by spending $60k to $102k
What are the facts?
Roadside charging is free?

I KNOW for a fact that your cheap azz would be driving a Tesla if any part of the sales pitch was true. Big Grin Big Grin

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Weird how NO ONE has presented ANY factual information....
I want to see the receipt from a roadside charging session.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
Goob you hit on a very good point with the demand....

I see this a lot in facilities I work in....they are contracted with the local power company at "X" per KwH based on usage and a peak demand of "Y" per KwH if they hit or exceed that demand at any point in the year...the new rate then for the rest of year is "Z"....and let me tell ya "Z" ain't cheap! lol

I see it mainly in the summer months when demand for cooling is at it's highest with our lovely southwest OH heat at times...and a lot of larger facilities need to go on curtailment where they purposely scale back cooling needs and electricity usage to make damn sure they don't hit the peak. That is a HUGE hit to a sizeable business such as R&D or manufacturing...and guess where that added costs gets passed onto if need be?

Anyway...if the EV trend continues....look for this to be instituted. Johnny homeowner paying $.25 a KwH hour versus $.08...ain't gonna be happy when his AOC mobile in the garage taking 2 days to charge at 120v hits the peak lol.

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Weird that Tesla can deliver new cars when I can't get a new truck I ordered in January. Confused

So you got the $60k Tesla?

I'm struggling with your math.

You claim a 40 mile commute, lets say 250 days a year, that's 10,000 miles a year, 20 mpg average work beater, 500 gallons @ $5 per gallon is $2500 per year, and you are going to save money by spending $60k, or are you getting the $102k model???
You're home charging isn't free, and as DEMAND goes up (dependency) the cost of your home electricity will "necessarily skyrocket".

Now if you're spending $60k on fuel traveling around in your race rig, I guess all you need to do is figure out how to tow with that Tesla.

Currently I drive a Tahoe that gets 14 mpg, and gas is almost $7 / gallon here. So you're numbers are a ways off.

My electricity is free, my solar system that I paid for in full and installed myself was 25k, then a 9k credit bringing total cost to 16k, and in just over a year its produced over 10k in electricity which I currently send some back into the grid at a substantially lower price per kwh then they would charge me. So I'll be spending essentially nothing on electricity to charge and the solar will be paid for in savings by this time next year.

Believe it or not, ice cars/trucks don't last forever, they need replacing. And mine at 178k miles is due, so I bought what I want, because I can. And when comparing similar cars from audi and such, the prices are similar, but all of them use hundreds of dollars a month in gas. Kinda no Brainer for me.

I get it, some people hate Tesla's, that's cool, and lots of people get their info from meme's and tik tok videos, so they believe every idiot on the web lol.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Tesla's are visible more and more in my area on my daily short commute

I have a customer who manages 2 health services mobile buses that I service the generators on regularly

He has a Kia EV and says it's great for him for his commute
Costs him next to nothing to charge at home and he can charge it at work which is free for him

You can bad mouth EV's all you want and they don't or won't work for everyone but they do for many

I bought Tesla and Rivian stock months ago. Yea they are down right now but I am confidant Tesla will rebound....Rivian....Meh, maybe not but we'll see

An EV right now would be perfect for me....short commute, paying 5-6 bucks a gallon for diesel. If my pickup was on it's last legs I'd consider one....

I could easily wire up my own home charger......don't have to pay anyone to do it....

When cars came along I'm sure Horse people said the same negative things about cars.....How'd that work out for them !!! LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
???
What are the 2 steps back?

Every time they elect a democrat president after a republican (real repub, not a Bush). The dems make much greater headway in their agenda than a repub majority laced with RINO's.

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
An EV right now would be perfect for me....short commute, paying 5-6 bucks a gallon for diesel. If my pickup was on it's last legs I'd consider one....

Short term perimeters is no way to solve a long term issue. Who is dictating gas/diesel prices? That's right, the people that are funneling YOU into an EV. Society never demanded EV's, a political agenda has brought them about. When they get you into an EV and the time is right, the rules will change again. Anybody that believes the US electrical grid can support a mass exodus to EV's is delusional. It's currently 100* in OKC with a 105* heat index. My power has had two hick ups today already. I'll repeat, anyone looking at the short term parameters is being manipulated. I remember when a little suck-azz sales manager I had bought an Olds Toronado with GM's gas converted diesel, to align with his boss's like purchase. His bargain of buying cheap diesel didn't last as long as his car payments.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats because tesla parts aren't made in China like your truck.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thats because tesla parts aren't made in China like your truck.

TOUCHÉ Goob, balls in your court! POPCORN, get yer popcorn here!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Saw loads of new Tesla's on the way to and from Orlando Speedworld last Saturday.

Saw two new Chevrolet 2500 Duramax. Them things are fugly.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post