DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission temp or pressure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission temp or pressure
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:
quote:
This is kinda related to this discussion, so I'm asking what pressure is going through the cooler lines on a glide?

Pressure in the cooler lines is "charge pressure" also known as "converter charge pressure". Fluid travels into the converter, goes through the converter(where most of the heat in a properly built transmission is made) and then travels through the pump/case to the cooler lines/cooler and back into the transmission.

Charge/converter pressure DOES effect how a converter behaves. The general rule of thumb of less pressure=looser converter and more pressure=tighter converter. This is popular with turbo guys because we have to play a balancing act with the converter between spool times(being loose enough) and converter efficiency down track(being tight enough). By using a dump valve and electronically manipulating charge pressure we can make playing that balancing act easier.

And yes I have seen bracket racers use it is varying situations as well. Once must also keep in mind that the dump valve is not an end all be all fix to a converter being set correctly for the car. Its best used as I described it above for turbo applications or as a fine tuning tool on the fly until the converter can be properly adjusted.

Sorry got a little side tracked there with the charge pressure and dumps. back to the main question; the reason I prioritize charge pressure over line pressure is logging line pressure is only going to serve as a premonition to a transmission issue that will most likely lead to some sort of service anyway. And for myself, if I'm pulling a transmission for a suspected issue, I'm going to go through the entire unit while its out to be safe. Where If I'm logging charge pressure I can see how charge pressure goes up and down. and correlate that to how consistent the car is or isn't, no different than tracking DA, humidity, wind speed/direction, track conditions or anything else that might effect the cars consistency.

to be clear this is MY preference. Others are welcome to establish a preference of their own. There is no right or wrong way. I offered my own reasoning behind my decision so that others can make their own educated decisions.

-Dalton

Geez.....I just wanted to know what pressure the cooler lines are subjected to... I used 250 psi rated hose to plumb my new trans cooler and wanted to make sure it was a high enough rating....

250 psi rated hoses are fine. Cooler line pressure are no where that high.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trans Lady:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:
quote:
This is kinda related to this discussion, so I'm asking what pressure is going through the cooler lines on a glide?

Pressure in the cooler lines is "charge pressure" also known as "converter charge pressure". Fluid travels into the converter, goes through the converter(where most of the heat in a properly built transmission is made) and then travels through the pump/case to the cooler lines/cooler and back into the transmission.

Charge/converter pressure DOES effect how a converter behaves. The general rule of thumb of less pressure=looser converter and more pressure=tighter converter. This is popular with turbo guys because we have to play a balancing act with the converter between spool times(being loose enough) and converter efficiency down track(being tight enough). By using a dump valve and electronically manipulating charge pressure we can make playing that balancing act easier.

And yes I have seen bracket racers use it is varying situations as well. Once must also keep in mind that the dump valve is not an end all be all fix to a converter being set correctly for the car. Its best used as I described it above for turbo applications or as a fine tuning tool on the fly until the converter can be properly adjusted.

Sorry got a little side tracked there with the charge pressure and dumps. back to the main question; the reason I prioritize charge pressure over line pressure is logging line pressure is only going to serve as a premonition to a transmission issue that will most likely lead to some sort of service anyway. And for myself, if I'm pulling a transmission for a suspected issue, I'm going to go through the entire unit while its out to be safe. Where If I'm logging charge pressure I can see how charge pressure goes up and down. and correlate that to how consistent the car is or isn't, no different than tracking DA, humidity, wind speed/direction, track conditions or anything else that might effect the cars consistency.

to be clear this is MY preference. Others are welcome to establish a preference of their own. There is no right or wrong way. I offered my own reasoning behind my decision so that others can make their own educated decisions.

-Dalton

Geez.....I just wanted to know what pressure the cooler lines are subjected to... I used 250 psi rated hose to plumb my new trans cooler and wanted to make sure it was a high enough rating....

250 psi rated hoses are fine. Cooler line pressure are no where that high.

Xlnt....thank you for the info...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Cooler line pressure 75 psi +/- generally I see 40 or less

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 67TSCHEVY2,

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
Cooler line pressure 75 psi +/- generally I see 40 or less

so mine is more then this, what does that mean as far as how its working?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1521 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My husband has a TD and his cooler line pressure fluctuates to has high as 85 psi.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
Good video from Hughes: https://youtu.be/cNuVmMu2uxk?feature=shared

And it refers to converter charge pressure as taken from the VB going to converter, NOT the cooler line.
If you watch the other 2 videos that follow this one they speak more about cooler line dump valves ALONE having minimal if any effect on charge pressure, they must be combined with a internal VB dump valve to have any real effect.
This proves what I said earlier, I tried working with one for a whole season on my TD with multiple different configurations and cooler pressures and did not get the on track results I wanted so I took it all off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a little bit off the subject of fluid pressures and so forth but it is about transmissions. I have always wondered why the higher horsepower cars don't run a Lencodrive or a Bruno Lenco or something similar.

If they are able to withstand the abuse wouldn't they be better than a powerglide? Even if the cost is considerably higher?

Just curious.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Dalton I guess the choice was made just do all 3 two pressure and temp sensor and few cables. Heck eating lunch is overrated anyway.Lol Now if just get stupid driver to remember to activate the computer before stagging.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post