DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Chasing a ghost...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chasing a ghost...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
One last question for y'all..do you have a relay on your trans brake wiring?...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fuzzy dice,

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not me unless you call delay box a relay. I do take the box out some times and no relay then.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
No relay power to button and from button to solenoid and 2 step.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I know you said that you had the tranny gone though, but I chased a problem very similar to yours . It turned out to be the transbrake valve in the valve was bent about .020 and it would hang every so often. Funny story, while putting the trans back together, I had put then same valve back in instead of the new one. First hit of the transbrake and it hung in the bore and I had to get some plyers and pull it out. Reactions were 80-100 slow when it would happen. You can see the wear on the valve from where it was rubbing.

Good luck

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
No relay power to button and from button to solenoid and 2 step.

OK...thanks...some say you need a relay and some say not...I am sure I do not have one...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
I know you said that you had the tranny gone though, but I chased a problem very similar to yours . It turned out to be the transbrake valve in the valve was bent about .020 and it would hang every so often. Funny story, while putting the trans back together, I had put then same valve back in instead of the new one. First hit of the transbrake and it hung in the bore and I had to get some plyers and pull it out. Reactions were 80-100 slow when it would happen. You can see the wear on the valve from where it was rubbing.

Good luck

Thanks...I need some luck...lol...I am calling FTI this morning to get their thoughts on this and in general...

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtended_s10:
I like emans idea but i was thinking a led light or test light attached to the solenoid that can be seen with the gopro and also showing the transbrake solenoid. Would be nice to figure out if its electrical or mechanical. Can you duplicate it in the pits if you activate brake several times?

I agree and I would also hook up a volt meter in view of the camera and see the voltage/drop is consistent run to run.

Are you running an alternator? If its not carb related - then I would say its electrical. Try a new battery. If your not running an alternator - get one.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of using a GoPro in-car, to record and hopefully catch your button release, Tach RPM, and the car launching. I also like the suggestion of wiring an LED to the solenoid, at least to determine if the delay is happening before or after the solenoid.

Let me give you one more thing to check.
Drivers side motor mount. (The side of the engine that "lifts" under power).
Yeah, I know, but - A few years back a friend was running a Glide/TB in a No Box Pro Tree class, and his lights had been consistently .00X-.02X, then had .100+ RT out of nowhere. His next pass it was back to normal, then another .100+ light. We chased a lot of what you have already done. He later told me when he was pulling the trans to send it out for freshening, he put a jack under it, and as he was lifting the tranny to take some weight off so he could unbolt it from the engine, he saw the whole engine/trans unit move upward. Gave his jack another pump, driver side moved up. He looked at the mount and it had broken. No idea why it would have even worked correctly once or twice after that. He did say he thought he had felt a "clunk" once, going up on the converter.
Not saying that is your problem, just another potential item to look at and cross off your checklist.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When does it come off of the two step?
Is the transbrake and two step late to come off or is the engine going dead and coming back to life?

Posts: 12 | Location: indianapolis in | Registered: July 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I had a red Autometer light mounted on tach of my old car so I knew I had power to transbrake, I came up with the idea after have a button go bad and not knowing if brake was on or not so I wired light into the circuit for a visual to know brake was on.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've got a little green LED on my dash wired to the 2 step circuit. Works great until the driver/crew chief forgets to put the chip in.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
One last question for y'all..do you have a relay on your trans brake wiring?...

You do NOT want a relay powering the TB solenoid. The power to both TB solenoid and Launch needs to be together directly from the TB button.

MSD Ignition launch input is supposed to withstand the flyback voltage from TB Solenoids.

If you do call MSD about this problem I would be interested in what they had to say if you don’t mind sharing.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
quote:
Originally posted by xtended_s10:
I like emans idea but i was thinking a led light or test light attached to the solenoid that can be seen with the gopro and also showing the transbrake solenoid. Would be nice to figure out if its electrical or mechanical. Can you duplicate it in the pits if you activate brake several times?

I agree and I would also hook up a volt meter in view of the camera and see the voltage/drop is consistent run to run.

Are you running an alternator? If its not carb related - then I would say its electrical. Try a new battery. If your not running an alternator - get one.

I am racing this weekend so I have to footbrake it....sigh...I am going to test the voltage in the pits when I let go of the button to make sure it drops instantly...other than that I will have to get back on it next week...

I do run an single wire alternator...new in the last 60 days...Powermaster 125 as I recall...my battery died in the staging lanes two weeks ago so I replaced it with a new gold top ...I remember you from the old corvette forum days Ski...I hope all is well with you and your family...

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aaron vail:
When does it come off of the two step?
Is the transbrake and two step late to come off or is the engine going dead and coming back to life?

Good question...it is late coming off the two step...the motor does not stumble or quit at all...I let go and it stays up on the two step for a split second and then launches the car by itself...very odd feeling when you expect it to leave and it sits there...even a split second seems forever...very noticeable...

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I had a red Autometer light mounted on tach of my old car so I knew I had power to transbrake, I came up with the idea after have a button go bad and not knowing if brake was on or not so I wired light into the circuit for a visual to know brake was on.

Good idea but when I press the button and mat it, everything works normal...you can clearly know that I am up on the two step hearing the dat..dat..dat..dat....when I let go is when the issue pops up intermittently...sigh...once the car leaves it runs great...all numbers are in order including the mph...

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
First of all Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks so much for all the help...

I spoke with FTI, MSD and my wiring guy today...FTI says all that's left for them is for me to put a new valve body in...I plan to pick up one of their billet jobs next Monday...my wiring guy is putting together some kind of deallypopper to stop any back feed to the solenoid which I will pick up on Monday as well...I will try that first...

MSD had no clue is all I will say...they would not rule out the two step side of the 6AL2 box causing it but had no ideas at all other than to check for a voltage drop when I let go of the button...I had already planned on doing that this weekend in the pits...

Have a wonderful holiday folks and I hope I can hurt some feelin's off the foot this weekend at Palm Beach...

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Someone has to have a valvebody they can lend you for this weekend. Or maybe FTI has one laying around you can try for this weekend to see if it's the problem. It's gonna be relatively easy for ya after racing with a defective trans brake, if that's what's wrong with it. I'd bet if it is what has been wrong, you'll crack some heads with the issue resolved. Don't be afraid to ask around, anyone smart will make that investment in victory.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Someone has to have a valvebody they can lend you for this weekend. Or maybe FTI has one laying around you can try for this weekend to see if it's the problem. It's gonna be relatively easy for ya after racing with a defective trans brake, if that's what's wrong with it. I'd bet if it is what has been wrong, you'll crack some heads with the issue resolved. Don't be afraid to ask around, anyone smart will make that investment in victory.

Thanks Mike...this weekend is coming too fast to borrow one and get it in the car what with the holiday...anyway, I footbraked for many years so I am going to try to shake the rust off on Friday and we'll see what happens...I always have fun no matter what so I am looking forward to a great weekend...yes, if it turns out the valve body is the problem there will be some prayer meetin's to be sure....lol...

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sorry you aren't 100% Fuzzball but Fern ain't ever 100%. But the fun means more to me than the money, I already have enough money, but there is never to much fun or friendship at these races. Lots of folks down there I haven't seen for awhile. You don't know Fern you been hiding!!!! I'm Back

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If it is electrical the 2 step will stay at launch RPM until the power goes away,at which point the TB would release at the same time as the 2 step. If it's mechanical in the solenoid,valve or valve body the 2 step would release and RPM would go to full stall on the converter then the TB would release.
I've seen someone do the redneck go-pro thing, tape your cellphone to your chest or something else to see the tach and the button.