DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    switched oil brands with scary results
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

switched oil brands with scary results
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Ive been running 20w50 lucas racing oil,non synthetic for awhile now with no issues.I run my tune a touch fat so the lucas oil does get a little milky.
I saw a post on here about methanol friendly oils and this shchaeffers brand seemed to get good reviews as far as resisting milking
so I bought a case of 20w50 191-012 micron moly oil from schaeffers.
After my first pass this weekend I was glancing at my racepak and just happened to look at my oil pressure and spit out my coke a cola.
Huge drop in all pressure and just as I was going through the traps it looked like it was cavatating in a real bad way.
Initially im thinking im spinning a bearing but decide to run down and grab a case of the lucas oil just to eliminate the oil.
Sure enough my pressure came right back up and solid pressure at the stripe.
We are talking 25psi difference in pressure between the 2 oils
That is real scary and thank god for racepak!!

The blue line is rpm,the green line is one pass on new lucas 20w50 and the pink line is one pass on new schaeffers 20w50 micron moly

Posts: 1426 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
Far out, I assume exactly the same amount of oil.
You can't debate those results!
Good job on the data logger!
Cheers

Posts: 42 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Now try Penn Grade....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now try Penn Grade....

too scared to switch after seeing those results

Posts: 1426 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Did you swap filters or use the same with both oils?

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
same filter just dumped the oil

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Which brad penn oil does everyone use for ally engines?

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the RPM drop early on is the shift. Explain how the Lucas oil's pressure increased as RPM dropped while the Scaefer's dropped like it should.

Posts: 1471 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I’ve run Schaeffers Oil in my 632 and my 421 for the last 6 years and oil pressure has always been rock solid going down the track. Bearings always look great when the motor comes apart

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66belair:

Straight 50W for me, but I use a heater in the pan.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66belair:

I use Penn Grade 20w50 in my four season old SHP and now 10w30 in a new Little M. Both hold 6 qts total.

I tried for first time a case of Schaeffers last year and the oil sample (66 runs) looked worse in several categories in first oil change. When I drained the oil from the second oil change (26 runs) I had a broken C-clip end stuck to the magnetic drain plug.

Not saying Schaeffers is bad, just sharing my short 2x experience using it.

I’m continuing with BP that I have only used prior to this.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I'm guessing the RPM drop early on is the shift. Explain how the Lucas oil's pressure increased as RPM dropped while the Scaefer's dropped like it should.

Wait a minute! Good catch Eman. The higher of those two lines looks suspect to me. It seems odd that the oil pressure would jump up at the shift. What would cause this?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
this is what we run ,no issues.with other oils the filter has caused issues like your show.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1416 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I too would like a plausible explanation on the pressure spiking up after gear change ....Weird lol

Posts: 1241 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too would like a plausible explanation on the pressure spiking up after gear change ....Weird lol

Im purely speculating but it could be anything from oil pan design to accelerating G force which is highest right at the shift

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Oil pressure any different at idle?

Posts: 1263 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have been running Redline syn for a few years after running Lucas race only Syn, switched to their 60wt when I made the switch to a blown combo, love everything about Redline except the price but I have begun boiling the alky out and reusing which has helped in that area. I know allot of blown guys are running the Lucas 60w plus non syn race oil and are very happy with the results. You can get a 5 gallon pail of the 60 plus for around $100 which makes it very appealing so some. They also make it in a 50wt I believe

Posts: 2436 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

the schaeffers was 45 at idle...lucas 64

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does summit carry either one of these oils. I can’t find nothing. I don’t know wtf I’m doing wrong

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

the schaeffers was 45 at idle...lucas 64

Do you think all the Molybdenum that is added to Schaeffers oil has anything to do with this?

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post