DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ROYAL PURPLE OIL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ROYAL PURPLE OIL
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3677:
PICK UP A 5GALLON PALE OF SAE 30 ROYAL PURPLE HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL ANY ONE HAVE ANY ISSUES USING THIS IN A SBC BRAKET ENGINE

What is the part number on the container?

I've run the XPR 5W30 for quite a while in a 900+ HP N/A - SBC. Rumors of it changing for the worse with the Calumet buyout as mentioned. Not true based on the samples I had tested in 2019.

I've been in the RP facility several times and it isn't rebranded Valvoline.

I was also involved in some sliding wear/cold scuff testing on the RP diesel oil years ago. the RP performed better than all of the other HD diesel oils tested.

If I were to switch to another oil based on analysis, it would be High Performance Lubricants (former RP personnel) or Redline.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 345 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The RP info is deteriorating in here fast! I think several different brands use the same blends in their products. There's a big difference between re-branding and using the same blend right?

I'm not sure where re-branding entered this discussion? I do know the Valvoline syn is 40-50% less money. Anyone into saving money using R P should do the research as to if it is the same blend, I don't use it, but I have been told it is the same, by a couple people who would know.

I don't know where the OP went but I'll pose my original question on the topic.

Was the engine assembled using plastigage, or was the engine assembled using a dial bore gauge?

My opinion on topic is, there's a slight chance 30 wt oil is the correct oil for the engine year round, if a dial bore gauge was used.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

I'm not sure where re-branding entered this discussion? I do know the Valvoline syn is 40-50% cheaper. Anyone into saving money using R P should do the research as to if it is the same blend, I don't use it, but I have been told it is the same, by a couple people who would know.

You are the one who said Royal Purple is Valvoline with dye added. You want to know how that got into this discussion look at your own post in this very thread.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4032 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

I'm not sure where re-branding entered this discussion? I do know the Valvoline syn is 40-50% cheaper. Anyone into saving money using R P should do the research as to if it is the same blend, I don't use it, but I have been told it is the same, by a couple people who would know.

You are the one who said Royal Purple is Valvoline with dye added. You want to know how that got into this discussion look at your own post in this very thread.

Where did re-branding enter the discussion?

There's a big difference between re-branding and using the same blend right?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
IM THE OP HERES THE DEAL AS I SAID I PICKED THIS OIL UP AT A BARGON PRICE 50 BUCKS FOR 5 GALLON PALE PART NUMBER 05030 I BELIEVE IT TO BE THE ORIGINAL RP SAE 30 HIGH PERFORMANCE WITH SYNERLEC , IVE STARTED THE ENGINE IN 55 DEGREE TEMPS CARRIES 75PSI COLD AT SLITLY ABOVE IDLE UNTIL WARM ENUFF TO IDLE CARRIES 70 IDLE RUN THRU HEAT CYCLE 2 TIMES CARRIES 45PSI AT IDLE AT 170 WATER TEMP REV IN UP ON TRANS BREAK JUMPS TO 70PSI AT 4000RPM , THE QUESTION ABOUT THERP OIL CAME ABOUT BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID RP OIL BREAKS DOWN QUICKLY BLA BLA I DONT BELIEVE THAT , I DONT KNOW THE EXACT CLEARANCE ON THE ENGINE BUT ITS BUILT WITH GOOD PARTS AND BALANCED 408CID SBC THANKS FOR THE RESPONCE ILL START WITH THE RP 30 KEEP EYE ON PSI HOT MAY SWITCH TO 20/50 IN WARMER WEATHER

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Shaffers gets my vote for “race oil” value.
Lots of lab test data on both but not the SAE 30 mentioned

Paul, what specific oil did you run?

I used the Schaeffer’s 40W Micron Moly. #110 Race oil
I’d buy 5x 5 gal pales at a time for $420 to my door.
I see Amazon sells it, but I’d have to review a lab test sheet to be sure the additive package is what I ran.
It should have
200 moly
1750 P
1800 Zn
1650 Ca
I ran straight weight because it lacks a multi viscosity additive that makes any oil sheer out of grade in hard use. The base stock was 100% paraffin, which is ideal for methanol fuel. Some terrific engineering went into that oil.

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/2-110-td.pdf

Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. 011040-005 Micron Moly Racing Oil, SAE 40, 5 gal Pail https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...2YQR822J6APKV0?psc=1

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Paul how do you manage the bucket as far as measuring etc? Use a bucket pump?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
On mine, i use the 5 Qt dispense can. Has a flexible neck and a thumb tab open /close. Spring loaded. Similar to this. It's an old Plews unit.
about 25 years old and works just fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I poured it into clean empty plastic milk jugs. Costco ones are durable and have a real screw on lid. That was bulk, for oil changes in my shop. In the trailer, I just kept refilling old Schaffer 1 qt plastic containers. At one time I bought it in a box of 12 qts they also sell.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I use the safe oil setup as paul, and use these jugs to measure and pour.

https://www.oilsafesystem.com/oil-safe.html

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1520 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post