DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Battery relocation advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery relocation advice?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Guess we are all not completely clueless ......

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The rule for Stockers for a battery in the trunk says you can add a second battery in the back but the stock front battery has to remain. Both batteries have to be similar and you have to have a battery cutoff switch if there is a rear battery.

So clever racers just gutted a stock battery and glued it back together and used that in front. A dummy empty battery. Shifted 25-35 lbs or more from the front to the back.

Guys got caught with that one but these days really nobody is checking things like that.

I had a car that had that in it. I ditched it all and put a very small lightweight battery up front.

Had an over 100lb weight bar in the back to drop a class and added a second weight box also back there.

Car could weigh under 3200 or over 3350

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong again, you are!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Anyone with a differing opinion or experience is clueless in your book which makes you obtuse or just a mean jerk.........either way you lack any level of class or tact on this forum. Text book example.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I had to look at this discussion to figure out how there could be 43 posts about moving a battery to the rear of an S-10 bracket truck.

Posts: 1527 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Guy, I'm finally getting around to moving the battery in my S10 to somewhere in the rear of the box, under the tonneau cover.

I'll probably just get a cable kit from Jeg's or Summit or somebody.
There are choices of #2 or #1 gauge cable; I may be able to get #0 as well.

As a lark I may put the cable inside of some smooth PVC flexible conduit, and fasten it to the inside of the frame rail. It only adds a few ounces of weight, mostly in the rear.

I don't think I will need a battery box, but I'll probably bolt down a battery tray for the battery to rest in.

I've got 3/8" bolts and some flat bar to hold down the battery, and I like to use these plastic knobs with 3/8-16 thread to secure that bar. It's much faster to change the battery in an emergency.

The long axis of the battery is perpendicular to the long axis of the truck, as original, and I'll probably mount it the same way back in the box. I'm thinking that the plates are safer that way.

I'm hoping this is worth it. The battery weighs about 43 pounds, but I would need 40 pounds less ballast that way.
I'm hoping for a little more lift in the front with this move,, to help transfer weight to the back on launch.

Thank you
T.

My advice is to spend some money freeing up your front suspension. Take a look at some low friction ball joints & control arm bushings. Something like an Afco kit 200-1002 or Del-a-lum bushings or modifying the teeth on your stock bushings will help tremendously. Pair that with some Moroso "Trick" springs or Landrum springs and then move your battery for ballast if you need to. Freeing up the front on my S10 is the best money I have spent on making the truck repeat. I started with the rear suspension on my S10 and worked my way forward... If I had it to all over again, it would be the exact opposite.

FWIW, I run stock suspension with non coilover bolt in shocks. I moved my battery to the right rear corner for ballast and used 1/0 welding cable.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the rain maker:
My advice is to spend some money freeing up your front suspension. Take a look at some low friction ball joints & control arm bushings. Something like an Afco kit 200-1002 or Del-a-lum bushings or modifying the teeth on your stock bushings will help tremendously. Pair that with some Moroso "Trick" springs or Landrum springs and then move your battery for ballast if you need to.

Finally someone that provided the OP with good advice. Note his last comment...”IF” which goes back to what I stated...First scale the car. Second setup the suspension. Then move or add weight.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally someone that provided the OP with good advice. Note his last comment...”IF” which goes back to what I stated...First scale the car. Second setup the suspension. Then move or add weight.

Really Ed Roll Eyes

The OP didnt ask for advice on front suspension or scaling a car did he ?? !!! As usual you derailed this thread by giving your advice that it "ain't" and dragging your former chevelle into the picture that has absolutely nothing in common with an S10 truck. The OP simply mentioned finally getting around to moving the battery and threw around some ideas on how to do it and was getting some good solid advice.
Sorry Ed...... I just got home after a 12hr double hernia surgery day and I'm a bit loopy and pissed off, I tried to be nice Razz .

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, feel better, we’ll continue this when you are of sound mind and body. Razz

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of great information here, guys; thank you.
Does anyone use a fuse or circuit breaker in the main feed cable? I would think that that cable could carry a lot of fault current if it were grounded somehow.

Yes, I would recommend a fuse at the battery on the positive side. I belive I used a 300amp maxi fuse on mine between the battery and the cut-off switch.

Personally on my next car I will be locating the battery and cut off swtich in the passenger foot well. and using a cable to the back of the car for the cut off switch.
The shorter your cable is the less voltage drop.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 259 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used a 200amp maxi fuse in line, I run a big alternator 150amp. 300amp would work too as stated. There are a lot of options on holder's I used one commonly used in stereo setups, it's clear and has removable ends and I keep a spare fuse handy. Never had to change one fortunately. Make sure to check your connections regularly as vibration is commonly a problem on race cars. When you think you have enough wire ties or clamps to keep cables from moving add a few more.

BG

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the rain maker:

My advice is to spend some money freeing up your front suspension. Take a look at some low friction ball joints & control arm bushings. Something like an Afco kit 200-1002 or Del-a-lum bushings or modifying the teeth on your stock bushings will help tremendously. Pair that with some Moroso "Trick" springs or Landrum springs and then move your battery for ballast if you need to. Freeing up the front on my S10 is the best money I have spent on making the truck repeat. I started with the rear suspension on my S10 and worked my way forward... If I had it to all over again, it would be the exact opposite.

FWIW, I run stock suspension with non coilover bolt in shocks. I moved my battery to the right rear corner for ballast and used 1/0 welding cable.

Thank you much, David. It's nice to hear from another 'Dime' owner.

I checked out that Afco kit; it looks pretty nice. It really made a big difference for you then? I think I could justify the $400 expense when I think of all the times I lost in the first money round! I wonder about doing new tubular control arms at the same time.....

I'm going to be a little pressed for time, as I'll only have about ten days to work before test & tune weekend, after I return from a road trip. I've got a bunch of other things to do with the truck yet, including taking it off the jack stands to load it up to take it to an exhaust shop for new head pipes.

The job would no doubt include dealing with the front springs and whatnot. I'm not really a mechanic, but I can do it given enough time.

I'm going through Lincoln, Nebraska this weekend, and will probably stop at Speedway Motors and do some shopping.

Thanks again!
Troy

Posts: 377 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I used a 200amp maxi fuse in line, I run a big alternator 150amp. 300amp would work too as stated. There are a lot of options on holder's I used one commonly used in stereo setups, it's clear and has removable ends and I keep a spare fuse handy. Never had to change one fortunately. Make sure to check your connections regularly as vibration is commonly a problem on race cars. When you think you have enough wire ties or clamps to keep cables from moving add a few more.

Thanks to you and 1leg. I didn't realize that you could get maxi-fuses that big. That fuse is a translucent, colored plastic, right? With two blades that plug in?

I currently use a two-pole, or I should say two-fuse holder made by Stinger for Maxi-fuses to feed the two fuse panels in my truck. Stinger makes some pretty nice products I think.

Posts: 377 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The finer strands in the cable the better off you are. Welding cable is your best friend.

When it comes to lugs and battery terminals, spend a couple extra bucks and use the tinned copper ones instead of the bare copper ones.

If you are still old school and using a lead acid battery make sure and turn it sideways so that the plates in the battery aren't slamming into each other every time you launch the truck.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks to you and 1leg. I didn't realize that you could get maxi-fuses that big. That fuse is a translucent, colored plastic, right? With two blades that plug in?

I currently use a two-pole, or I should say two-fuse holder made by Stinger for Maxi-fuses to feed the two fuse panels in my truck. Stinger makes some pretty nice products I think.

No the fuses are black with terminals at each end that attach to an inline holder may be called mega fuses I cant recall I may have that nomenclature incorrect. Google inline battery fuse and you'll see. Local auto parts will have the 75, 100, 200 etc. Fuses you'll get the idea when you see the fuse and holder.

BG

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:

No the fuses are black with terminals at each end that attach to an inline holder may be called mega fuses I cant recall I may have that nomenclature incorrect. Google inline battery fuse and you'll see. Local auto parts will have the 75, 100, 200 etc. Fuses you'll get the idea when you see the fuse and holder.

Okay, gotcha. I'll check it out.
Thx, man
T.

DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you much, David. It's nice to hear from another 'Dime' owner.

I checked out that Afco kit; it looks pretty nice. It really made a big difference for you then? I think I could justify the $400 expense when I think of all the times I lost in the first money round! I wonder about doing new tubular control arms at the same time.....

I'm going to be a little pressed for time, as I'll only have about ten days to work before test & tune weekend, after I return from a road trip. I've got a bunch of other things to do with the truck yet, including taking it off the jack stands to load it up to take it to an exhaust shop for new head pipes.

The job would no doubt include dealing with the front springs and whatnot. I'm not really a mechanic, but I can do it given enough time.

I'm going through Lincoln, Nebraska this weekend, and will probably stop at Speedway Motors and do some shopping.

Thanks again!
Troy

I went with Del-a-lum upper control bushings and South Side Machine solid lowers with Afco low friction ball joints. I used the Afco kit as a reference for you. You can visit Speedway Motors and look at GM Metric and piece together something for a cheaper cost. The solid upper and lower control arm bushings were around $15 each when i was researching parts to do mine. But to answer your question, YES i think freeing up the front end is worth the expense and hassle. The Moroso springs were a PITA to install, I'm not sure if the Landrums are any easier.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Okay, gotcha. I'll check it out.
Thx, man
T.

I used something like this that I bought a local stero shop because I couldn't wait on shipping.

https://www.waytekwire.com/ite...H-Riveted-MEGA-Fuse/

https://www.waytekwire.com/ite...DI-AMI-Fuse-Holder-/

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 259 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed while I agree he should scale the truck if he is already adding weight in the bed to get truck to work then moving battery is not a bad idea no different than your Undercover car having battery in nose to lessen the amount of weight needing to be added to prevent from bouncing tires out of beams

Posts: 413 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It is a bad idea without knowledge, data and facts.

1. Without scaling first, he does not know what his corner weighs are and his corners may be close with the battery in the stock location as was my Chevelle.

2. Without scaling how does he know exactly where to put the battery to get his corners right?

FYI, my batteries are no longer in the nose, moved that 45 lbs. back about 4 feet and of course rescaled the car.