DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Intech (just another white trailer)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intech (just another white trailer)
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We are our own worse enemies. How many check their lug nuts before every trip? Few if any yet including me yet my trailer and I assume every Intech has a decal above the wheels that states we should be doing exactly that. Bottom line is these trailers are built to a spec, exceed the spec and something will fail and when you don’t look over your stuff, especially parts that are bolted together and you will have an issue at some point.

That said, soon I will get under my trailer and report beck what I find. In all honesty, I have never checked my bolted axle connections.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
You have to make it a yearly deal on trailer suspension inspections including all the welds.

Case in point.1.5 years ago. Went on a call for a high end Triple RV. Trailer. Cost easy $80K/$100K. 2021 model
3 slides. Both spring hangers broke off the center axle and attempted to leave the trailer. It was a mess. Only thing i could do was strip the center axle and remove it. Followed them to a close RV center at about 8 miles down the road. Senior retired couple.. Have had others also that had the spring hangers break off. It's a lot of work in a lot or on the ramp to get it squared and repaired.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed,

You make a good point about end users!

I will add this, if you assume that a steel trailer and an aluminum trailer are built with the same size parts (channels, I beams, tubing etc) and that the aluminum used has the same strength as the steel used to build these two trailers, the aluminum trailer will bend, twist, (move under load) almost 3 times the amount of the steel trailer! Also, aluminum's fatigues faster than steel. Those two facts mean that a well bult AL trailer needs to use larger and or thicker parts or it will have issues later in its life. IMO a well-built AL trailer will weigh very close to what a steel on weighs apples to apples! Also, the failure on this trailer's axles supports was due to a poor design, period! Similar failures to steel trailers also, many times poor welding.

The fix to that 34' trailer was kick ass too! Very well engineered fix!

Chris, if it was my trailer, I would pay close attention to the axle connections and if they are the same as those shown in this tread, I would beef those up before they become an issue. Your trailer usage for one year could be ten years for other racers!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
These trailers are designed by engineers not for engineers and the majority of bracket racers do minimal maintenance on their race cars no mind trailers and most aren't inspecting them at all no mind on regular basis and they don't have a clue to what the GVWR is for their trailer.

This guy complaining about his 2014 Intech, sounds surprised to find out it doesn't have a steel frame, which tells me not only didn't he buy it new, he also didn't have a clue to what he bought used and never crawled under it before he purchased it.

That said, after 6 years, 10s of thousands miles, hauling my dragster, door car, golf cart, scooter, generator, fuel and the cabinets full of supplies and parts, I still LOVE this trailer, it's everything I had hoped it would be when I spec'd it and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another but what it's not is a Goldrush or T&E!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Pictures on the Internet are one thing but recently I saw one first hand.....WOW !!! THat Intech is gorgeous, this one houses two high dollar circle track cars that travel across the country so I understand the investment. I wish I had the money to buy one but it's way outta my income range.

Think I'll finally buy a lottery ticket this morning.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I know a few racers with these trailers, definitely a well-built trailer. I took a closer look at the failed axle connection plate pictures, and it appears that they did not use angle stock for this connection bracket that was welded on to the main trailer beam, they took a flat plate and bent it 90 degrees, this just adds to the fatigue issue. This connection was not about engineering, it was about time and money to fabricate it. Again, not hammering Itec, they aren't the only ones doing this.
Inspecting this bracket, it may be tuff to pick up the small cracks before you have total failure. Take a close look at the fracture surface, you can see the old cracks and the ones that just occurred when it broke! Again, if it was my trailer I would take action ASAP, worst case - if that failed on the highway at 65 MPH, you could lose everything. Best case, it would be a royal PIA to deal with going or leaving a race when you are a long distance from home.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Blah blah blah…..check the damn welds…I don’t give a shyt who built it….none of the damn engineers have tested a trailer over a ten year period to know what the flaws are..

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I disagree! Intech as well most other trailer manufactures that we use have been in business far longer than 10 years. They KNOW if they have a design flaw(s) and the good reputable builders make changes to correct them.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
My 2021 model has a THICK long steel angle bolted to the main aluminum structural beam. All three axles bolt up to this. Looks strong, but will keep an eye underneath the trailer. All aluminium under this trailer still looks brand new. VERY low miles. Already serviced bearings anyway.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
My 2021 model has a THICK long steel angle bolted to the main aluminum structural beam. All three axles bolt up to this. Looks strong, but will keep an eye underneath the trailer. All aluminium under this trailer still looks brand new. VERY low miles. Already serviced bearings anyway.
Surely they have made improvements over the original cheesy design

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

As with many racing related items, what worked before won't now. That bent AL plate to secure the axles to the trailer was a poor design that will fail sooner or later. Any respectable trailer company would have corrected that weak link after the first failure! I would also bet there was no engineering performed on that bent plate design also, just a fabricator with an idea...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN: I sold the goldrush stacker after 7 seasons of use and bought a 21 year model 34 foot spread axle Intech. Trailer is loaded with options..as well as has front of dragster lift.

Did your Goldrush have air ride?

Posts: 2467 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
The Goldrush had air ride, stabilizing shocks, as well as over hydraulic disc brakes too. My T&E before my Goldrush also had air ride.

Top 38 You can see the 10 foot (length of all three spread axles) of thick steel angle iron over the aluminum with bolts holding it all together thru steel and aluminum. Still fractions of material used vs guy who had his redone.

I agree with Ed, the Intech is NOT a Goldrush nor a T&E by comparison. Looking at suspension provided by Intech on this expensive of a trailer, I will most likely order a new T&E (18 months wait) and use this Intech while I wait. I really prefer the advantages of air ride and braking benefits with air brakes. If the amount of money is this high already...the air ride and brakes are a must in my mind.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Well you guys had me concerned.
I don't have an Intech but I do have a '32 all aluminum ATC triple axel which is similar supposedly.
I went out and looked, my axles are held onto the trailer very similar to how Bills fix was.

It has long steel plates sandwiching the aluminum frame thru bolted every several inches top and bottom with a welded plate on the bottom connecting both sides of the sandwiched steel which is notched out for the axle square tube which is welded to it.
It's one piece and it runs from 4 feet in front of the front wheel to 4 feet behind the rear wheel.
The bracket the axle mounts in is part of these one piece steel plates notched for the axle.

It looks just like Bill's fix but is one long piece of steel sandwiching the frame.

I too abuse my trailer and run it pretty hard, only looking things over when I remember.
It's a 2002 ATC Aluminum Trailer and has served me well.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Breakage? We have had our share!

I have had the tongue of the trailer break on the Goldrush, an ATC did the same years back.

I had the hitch break off of the Showhauler twice (re-welded)! The third time, I had it removed and replaced with a roll cage style hitch bolted in many places between frame rails that has lasted years. They say 40k GVWR from factory? Horse chit I say...now it definitely will carry the 40k.

When I sold the triple axle truck with big goldrush stacker it had 185k miles on the rig in 7 years, broke alot of stuff including axles on trailer twice, and the tongue once. No brand is exempt from breakage so far. The T&E 32 foot stacker I owned by far was the strongest well built trailers I ever owned. Only had it a year b4 selling it (mistake) and moving to the Goldrush.

Never over loaded a trailer, he'll never even put a car in the top front of the trailer! They break and the NORTHEAST does in fact have the worst roads in the country. I-40 New Mexico and AZ currently hold a close 2nd place!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Goldrush had air ride, stabilizing shocks, as well as over hydraulic disc brakes too. My T&E before my Goldrush also had air ride.

Top 38 You can see the 10 foot (length of all three spread axles) of thick steel angle iron over the aluminum with bolts holding it all together thru steel and aluminum. Still fractions of material used vs guy who had his redone.

I agree with Ed, the Intech is NOT a Goldrush nor a T&E by comparison. Looking at suspension provided by Intech on this expensive of a trailer, I will most likely order a new T&E (18 months wait) and use this Intech while I wait. I really prefer the advantages of air ride and braking benefits with air brakes. If the amount of money is this high already...the air ride and brakes are a must in my mind.

Chris

A much better deal for sure. Welding any bracket to a portion of hollow section, like the main rectangular tubing's side wall is not a good idea to start with, then add the bracket that was fabricated from a flat plate then bent and supports the weight of the trailer plus breaking and side loads, it has no choice but to break. Bolting through a hollow section requires the solid spacers that you can see were used it the fix detailed pictures shown in this tread. Don't want to crush the tube!

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Chris

A much better deal for sure. Welding any bracket to a portion of hollow section, like the main rectangular tubing's side wall is not a good idea to start with, then add the bracket that was fabricated from a flat plate then bent and supports the weight of the trailer plus breaking and side loads, it has no choice but to break. Bolting through a hollow section requires the solid spacers that you can see were used it the fix detailed pictures shown in this tread. Don't want to crush the tube!

Agreed, the fix they used seems minimal with very little bolts, like 6 on each side from what I can tell. The repair the fellow did above in this thread is more of a permanent repair and would have liked to have seen Intech do something similar.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the NORTHEAST does in fact have the worst roads in the country. I-40 New Mexico and AZ currently hold a close 2nd place!

Northern Illinois, Much of Wisconsin / Michigan, Indiana roads potholes will tear up your vehicle suspension. And if you’re towing, HANG ON.

Posts: 2467 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I know. Do you have any failed welds and are you overloaded/exceeding the GVWR

I’m not overweight, but I haven’t weighed it either.. I did have some failed welds, which looked a little thin to me, but they fixed under warranty, 6 years old. I noticed it in august I think and we were able to finish the year on it like it was. They did some work to the axle mounts as well when it was there at ther shop. I sent the pics to torqin if he wants to post

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1520 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1520 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post