DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Going from a Turbo 400 to a Power Glide ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going from a Turbo 400 to a Power Glide ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Good Morning All.
Just a general question about going from a Turbo 400 to a Power Glide.
Basic 2900 to 3200 pound bracket car.
basic 540/565 BBC making around 900/950 HP.
Basic ET should be 5.60 to 5.80 in the 1/8 mile.
Will it pick up ET/MPH or slow down, or stay the same.
Just a general question.
Thanks again
Calvin

Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My 3200 lb. Firebird with the same HP slowed down. Also went from an 8" converter to a 9" converter

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
made the switch years ago,had to make a rear gear change from 4.10 to 4.86 and then the glide was better

Posts: 42 | Location: HOLLEY,NY,USA | Registered: September 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my 4.86 rear gear remained the same as it was with the turbo400.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just a general question about going from a Turbo 400 to a Power Glide.
Basic 2900 to 3200 pound bracket car.
basic 540/565 BBC making around 900/950 HP.
Basic ET should be 5.60 to 5.80 in the 1/8 mile.
Will it pick up ET/MPH or slow down, or stay the same.

What diff gear now? What first gear ratio in new glide?

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My 67 Camaro ran a little faster with Glide. Lost a few in the 60 foot but made it up and more by finish line. And it was more consistent with the glide and much smaller wheelies. 14x32 -4.88 BBC with 8" converter. I did not change rear gears or converter when I swapped from T-400 to Powerglide.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
your '67 Camaro was a cutup shytbox altered with a small block NOT a

quote:
2900 to 3200 pound bracket car.

and did NOT have a
quote:
540/565 BBC making around 900/950 HP.

nor did it run
quote:
5.60 to 5.80 in the 1/8 mile.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Weight difference alone should have a gain in ET but you will have to change the rearend gears.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I have proven recently and in the past on my other cars, removing as much as 40 lbs. shows nothing on the time slip with our cars.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
As I have proven recently and in the past on my other cars, removing as much as 40 lbs. shows nothing on the time slip with our cars.

Ed, in the Firebird racing SST, does it shift the 1-2 during the throttle stop time? If yes, what time does timer start after launch?

With a glide, it is spinning considerably less internal rotating weight than a th400 and could increase the mph.

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thats what mine did when I went from a fiber glass hood to a steel one. More weight same ET

Posts: 6246 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Fern, I've seen that for over 30 years on GM F and A body cars.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
It wont be cheap, but you could talk to somebody about changing the gearing in transmission. A 3 speed with proper gearing will beat a glide any day of the week. Planets are not cheap tho. A 2.10 front gear is going to cost you 2000, and really, it is better to get the front gear down in the 1.80s, but those planets get really expensive.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 728 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
99.9% of bracket racers won’t spend the coin.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Something to consider. I build all three trans. from time to time for various projects. [Powerglide, 350, & 400]
*The Powerglide is lighter by around 20 + pounds.
*The Powerglide has less rotating drag.
*A properly build Powerglide is basically trouble free.
*The Powerglide is a proven, consistent package.
*It does depend on your combination/setup as to whether or not the Powerglide is faster. However, it is a proven winner.

This is not intended to take away from a 400 trans, just giving my thoughts and experience.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1860 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:

*The Powerglide is lighter by around 20 + pounds. I agree but not worth anything on the time slip.

*The Powerglide has less rotating drag. I agree but not worth anything on the time slip

*A properly build Powerglide is basically trouble free. I agree but so is a turbo400

*The Powerglide is a proven, consistent package. I agree but so is a turbo400

*It does depend on your combination/setup as to whether or not the Powerglide is faster. I disagree for the car in question as well the typical back halved, big tire bracket door car.However, it is a proven winner. I agree but so is the turbo400

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The OP never stated if/ what the goal (faster, consistent, both) was.

If more consistency is desired and presently th400 with stock (2.48/1.48) planetary, consider installing a 1+2 TB VB and leave in second gear.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
.1 loser

Posts: 1255 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I switched from a T400 to a 1.7PG many years ago with a SBC around 3100lbs Chevelle running 10s so not exactly comparable, but with the first pass I thought I broke something! Definitely boring compared to what I was used to.

Car ran same ET +/- .01 but MPH was up 1 MPH for my car. Didn't change rear,tires or converter. Both transmissions were bought from ATI with TB.

Wish I could buy the T400 back for the $750 I sold it for years ago to have fun again.

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Just to add to 1320s quote above, on a slower car , weight does make a difference. I ran an index before and used weight for hitting the number. I took out 10 pounds and hit the index 000.after being .010 above. The weight always worked for me. You have to place or subtract weight in the right position in the car. Weight over the suspension crossmember or weight in the trunk of a a door car is different than in the front end of a dragster.

Dragster doesn't care as much.

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post