DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Going from a Turbo 400 to a Power Glide ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going from a Turbo 400 to a Power Glide ?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
again, the weight difference alone will NOT have a gain in ET.

10, 20, 30 40 lbs. in bracket cars whether it be my former 3880 lb. Chevelle that I took 32 lbs. out of unspring weight or my dragster that I took 40 lbs. out of or the numerous racers that have taken 30+ lbs. off their car by swapping their steel hood for a fiberglass cowl hood, did not, does NOT make a difference on the time slip no mind swapping to an aluminum driveshaft or swapping steel drums for aluminum drums. NOTHING on the time slip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

10, 20, 30 40 lbs. in bracket cars whether it be my former 3880 lb. Chevelle that I took 32 lbs. out of unspring weight or my dragster that I took 40 lbs. out of or the numerous racers that have taken 30+ lbs. off their car by swapping their steel hood for a fiberglass cowl hood, did not, does NOT make a difference on the time slip no mind swapping to an aluminum driveshaft or swapping steel drums for aluminum drums. NOTHING on the time slip.

Id say its so small of a gain, that most cant find where the gain helped. Most people are too lazy/cheap to keep making these kind of small changes, "for no more than it picked up" or "its just a bracket car, the bank dont care what it ran when im cashing my $50 check".

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 728 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
agree

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
This is a new car to me.
The previous owner ran a turbo 400, in foot brake.
I will be running a PG in Top Bulb.
His motor combo and my motor combo are very similar. The main goal is to be able to print ticket. May even make a come back to SST next season. But only time will tell.
thanks again
Calvin

Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
It wont be cheap, but you could talk to somebody about changing the gearing in transmission. A 3 speed with proper gearing will beat a glide any day of the week. Planets are not cheap tho. A 2.10 front gear is going to cost you 2000, and really, it is better to get the front gear down in the 1.80s, but those planets get really expensive.

I slowed .03 in 60', was the same at the finish with a 'glide, same gear, same converter. 500-ish HP smallblock though.

I've had a 2.10/1.40 TH 400 since 1999, you won't regret a penny of the cost.
MANY ratios available now, some are outrageously priced.
I chose and stick with the Kilgore Transmission units.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Upon further review, it looks like Kilgore Transmission is no more.... Frown

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I went from a 400 to a glide in a 3200 lb. camaro...no change in ET at all but it was way more consistent...

Posts: 1279 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have had the same experience on weight reduction several times also. The latest was dropping 35 lbs. on exhaust. Large by huge - 5x22” case mufflers to 14” round LW race mufflers. No difference in ET on a high 5 sec. 1/8th mile, 3400 lb SBC footbrake car.

That being said, those 30-40 lb reductions start to add up over time. I try to make at least one weight reduction each year. The car is 200 lbs lighter than when I started and 35 lbs was the single biggest reduction so far.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 345 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
DragRacerSBC…KNOWS

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRacerSBC:
quote:

I have had the same experience on weight reduction several times also. The latest was dropping 35 lbs. on exhaust. Large by huge - 5x22” case mufflers to 14” round LW race mufflers. No difference in ET on a high 5 sec. 1/8th mile, 3400 lb SBC footbrake car.

That being said, those 30-40 lb reductions start to add up over time. I try to make at least one weight reduction each year. The car is 200 lbs lighter than when I started and 35 lbs was the single biggest reduction so far.

Jason G.

With all the weight changes did you do the over
the off season,one weekend after running the same track in similar conditions? How did you judge change or no change?

So after all reductions and a totally of 200 lbs. Is Et different or too many other changes to say/

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4408 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
my 2860 lb car most definitely picks up or slows down + or - 30 lbs.

I swear its 10 lbs to the hundredth, which pretty much mimics the 100 pounds a tenth theory.

The converter is everything when you make swap to a glide. Have the converter off and it will kill it and make it slow up.

Have always ran 8 inch in my cars.

Posts: 1582 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moparacer:

I swear its 10 lbs to the hundredth, which pretty much mimics the 100 pounds a tenth theory.

The converter is everything when you make swap to a glide. Have the converter off and it will kill it and make it slow up.

Absolutely, Converter is critical in any competitive race car.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My converters are spot on and there are many here that agree with my statement about weight reduction…

quote:
Originally posted by DragRacerSBC:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Not surprised there was no change in ET as I have not really seen 40lbs do anything in my stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by moparacer:

Absolutely, Converter is critical in any competitive race car.

Its even more critical when you are basically starting out in second. Many times, converters are made too tight.

Posts: 1582 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Weight wise abruzzi told me just the other day that you would need to be off by over 200 pounds on total weight for the convertor to no longer be optimal

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Weight wise abruzzi told me just the other day that you would need to be off by over 200 pounds on total weight for the convertor to no longer be optimal

Most people over estimate their engine as well. Dont know how many times i have had guys tell me what they had, I look through my notes, have a converter built and sent to them, for them to call me the monday after and said it stalled 1000 less than i said it should. Those same customers get really butt hurt when you tell them the problem is in FRONT of the bell housing.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 728 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Engine builders blame converter builders and converter builders blame engine builders when the time slip doesn’t produce the results the driver expected based on the dyno sheet.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Used to dial my 9.20’s bracket car with fuel. My junk knew the difference with an extra gallon of methanol. Just saying

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This post turned into a weight discussion.

Weight makes a difference. How can it not? As stated elsewhere, I adjusted my car with weight to run an index class. It worked extremely well in my case. The placement of weight will probably make the biggest change. I just knew where and what worked for me.

1320 posts about lightweight dragsters running faster but says weight does not matter at the same time. He could be correct.

For the transmission:

Winning- PG
Fun and maybe winning - T400
Mostetest fun- Three pedals

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What don’t you understand about this

quote: