DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel filters you need one!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel filters you need one!
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
This is the Rons big filter and almost two seasons. More stuff than I’ve seen in it and I removed the filter from my fuel cell vent so it will be going back on.

My point is that the wind blows and there is dirt in the air, so run a filter. Also 90% of my fuel has come from factory sealed Sunoco 5 gallon cans.

No clue on the micron rating, this filter has been on the car since day one, through alky carb, fuel injection, alky carb again and now gas carb.

My buddy with an Enderle claimed that the ONLY Methanol that didn't have metal in it was VP.

You have drum debris right there.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed:

Does the Jazz funnel come with the filter insert or is that an optional item? I found several sources listed, most at the same price in the $30 range but I don't believe that includes the filter.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've owned 2 of them and they both came with the filter. I bought them local to me from Behrents.

It shows the filter with the funnel in the amazon link I sent you.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mark,I used the K&N scoop filters that fit on top of my Dominators,the light gray ones you can see through.They don't filter as tight as the regular filters,but my car went fastest with them on.They're a little pricey at about $165 apiece,but they do what you want without any loss of ET.They install dry,no oil or anything.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I use the exact same funnel as pictured in Ed’s last post. I may try a switch to VP this season.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5312 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Ed

Leaving the prevention of UFO's entering the motor aside... If you have had issues with using an air filter, your using the wrong one or something else is wrong. I will bet you a diner at the Library (Atco Divisional) that my car runs faster with the air cleaner than without and the O2 graph will be much better throughout the run with the air cleaner.

Here's another test for you, run the air scoop backwards on the dragster! You may be surprised with the results.....

Air going to the carb needs both quantity and quality!

Al,
#1 I ain't running my scoop backwards.

#2 so you think I've been using the wrong air filter or something else is/has been wrong on 4 engines...396, 468, 522 and 615 in 3 cars? Not a snow balls chance in hell my friend.

#3 I believe none of what I read on these forums and half of what I see with my own eyes, so you'll have to show me. No need to wait until Atco which may not happen, I'll see you at NED.

Again, you won't find an air filter on a Pro Stock car, any heads up cars and most Comp, TS and TD cars and many SS/T, SC, SG, SS and stock eliminator cars too. Why do you think that is Al? Wink

1) I can't say I blame you but how else do you learn?

2) I know this, the carb needs both quality and quantity with regards to air supply. If you don't have both you will loose performance. Dragsters with the typical scoops most run today are decent but not perfect! Adding anything that guides or allows the air to flow vertically down at the carb provides the best and smoothest signal. An air filter (properly sized) and velocity stack are good examples. Door car scoops are another matter, especially in TS where many run dual carbs/TR setups. In order to be able to see the scoop size becomes an issue and in many cases there's not enough room over the carb, but this is a different story. I run a mini velocity stack with an air cleaner in my K&N scoop and its faster with the AF and the air/fuel curve is much flatter and consistent with the filter than w/out. I have seen a number of AF curves on other cars do the same with a filter even if they went no faster, but they never slowed down! If you add a filter and it slows down the filter you are using is causing some issue! Too small, too restrictive, don't fit well in the scoop, something isn't right. I have never seen an air filter slow a car down that was sized correctly. Whether you or many other racers choose not to run one is a choice. Many don't. K&N is not the only company that makes high flow AF's.

3) So you don't believe me? Ed, you know better than that. I stated Atco due to the restaurant nearby (Library) very good steak and filet and a kick ass salad bar! For NED, The Old Salt is a very nice place. Do we have a bet? I can taste the surf and turf now! Smile

As for PS and TS, those cars get towed up and back. Usually use scoop plugs to keep UFO's out also. Many TS cars don't have the room for one. I also know for a fact that many TS car suffer from poor scoop design and or carb placement in the scoops. PS is a different deal, hell WJ has spent more money on scoop designs when they ran carbs than I have in my entire racing operation. BTW every PS and TD/TS cars run ported manifolds! Just saying! Big Grin

How's your new build going?

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, I ain’t scared, I love surf and turf and no bet necessary. Atco, NED, it don’t matter to me. Hell come to NYC and I’ll treat you to the best you’ve ever had.

That said, you too are one of the few here whose experience and advice I trust.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
[QUOTE]
1) I can't say I blame you but how else do you learn?

There is no need to learn when you profess to already to know everything.

Posts: 716 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don’t profess to know everything but I do know far more than you and most that post here having bracket raced for 30 years, making over 8000 passes. In addition to serving as crew chief and mentor to my son who in addition to winning multiple track championships in juniors and the highest paying junior race, won the division in S/C first season out with multiple wins and by the most points ever, finished 2nd the next season, 33 points/2 rounds shy of back to back championships. Also finished #4 in the world on the merit of two national event finals and 1 win. So my advice to you and others here is put your fragile egos aside, sit back and read my replies rather than debate what you think you know and you just might learn something that will have your car running quicker, faster and more consistent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Al, I ain’t scared, I love surf and turf and no bet necessary. Atco, NED, it don’t matter to me. Hell come to NYC and I’ll treat you to the best you’ve ever had.

That said, you too are one of the few here whose experience and advice I trust.

The bet just makes it taste better! Big Grin

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fuel goes from tank or drum into 5 gallon jugs then poured in this to fill my fuel cells...

same way I've been doing it for the last 12 years and yearly check of fuel filters, both Magnafuel on dragster and Product Engineering on Firebird is as if it just came out of the box.

Before that fuel was pumped at the local gas station into my gas tank and the yearly check of the Mallory fuel filter and later the Product Engineering fuel filter was again as if it just came out of the box.

Same one I have been using for years. I have been running alcohol injection for 10 years now and have yet to clog a nozzle on any of my engines. Most I ever get in the fuel filter on the car is a small amount of lint. This is going from a 55 gallon drum, then to 5 gallon fuel jugs, thru this funnel filter into the tank.

As far as air filter goes, I have always ran one by choice with the bracket cars, I know many who don't. But if you have ever raced and drove thru the pits at the TX Motorplex you are taking your engine's life in your own hands if you don't use an air filter or cover over your belt drive. Track has to be one of the worse places when it comes to rocks and dust.

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've gone 3 seasons without cleaning our fuel filter "by mistake" and while it didn't look dirty it definitely was. Lotsa crap when I flushed it out in gas. We never filter going into the cell, so I'm not really surprised.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well, I've learned that I need to start checking my fuel filter, same filter for the last 10 plus years, I've checked it 2 or 3 times and always clean, also no funnel filter. Always on gas, 116 maxima. I do run the little cone shape air filter, got it from #1 Stop several years ago, don't think it filters much but will stop the rocks at the Motorplex.

Posts: 268 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
My intention is not to cause a firestorm but If anyone has access to an air flow bench you might want to test the oil air filter against the equivalent cheapest version you can find.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 352 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Put a filter on the fuel cell vents too Wink

This ^^^^

Fuel tank vent sucks in dust I have a -8 fitting for the vent and have one of those K&N filters on mine.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...test the oil air filter against the equivalent cheapest version you can find.

Not a race application but offers some insight for those that haven't seen it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
What were the results? How much did the air filter cost in ET/MPH on your dragster?

Tony, finally checked my notes and I was wrong. Eek No air filter = +1.2mph in the 1/4 mile.

This should kick up the dust(pun intended) on a Saturday night. Big Grin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What were the results? How much did the air filter cost in ET/MPH on your dragster?

Tony, finally checked my notes and I was wrong. Eek No air filter = +1.2mph in the 1/4 mile.

Was that with a K&N oiled air filter?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
K&N cone filter not oiled.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wow, I would never have thought it would be that much. How about ET?

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post