DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel filters you need one!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel filters you need one!
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Everyone will do what they want with their car. Me, I've done the back to back testing on all my engines in all my cars and an air filter not only effects performance, it can effect consistency. That said, you won't find an air filter on a Pro Stock car, any heads up cars and most Comp, TS and TD cars and many SS/T, SC, SG, SS and stock eliminator cars too.

Again, If you're worried about stones this is what you use

http://www.intensityracingprod.../pro-series-screens/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Everyone will do what they want with their car. Me, I've done the back to back testing on all my engines in all my cars and an air filter not only effects performance, it can effect consistency. That said, you won't find an air filter on a Pro Stock car, any heads up cars and most Comp, TS and TD cars.

Again, If you're worried about stones this is what you use

http://www.intensityracingprod.../pro-series-screens/

What were the results? How much did the air filter cost in ET/MPH on your dragster?

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tony, I don't have the time slip in front of me but I remember it was over .5mph. I'll post the exact results when I get to my race computer/time slips.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed. I have been using the KN cone filter kit that I linked in a previous thread for a few years. I can set my carb idle with air cleaner off and always have to adjust when I put the filter on. That alone tells me it is affecting air flow at least at idle.

I would never run it with no protection from debris but damn sure not going to Home Depot and putting screen door mesh over my carb like I have seen done although that is better than nothing I guess...

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I forgot to add that I’m changing all the fuel lines on the inlet side. I’ve already replaced all the ones from the fuel pump to the regulator and carb. I don’t think it has squat to do with the stuff in the filter. I think the extended time on cleaning plus the bigger vent line with no filter is the culprit.

It is good practice to replace all of the fuel lines every few years, they do not last forever and start coming apart. Regardless I would try to find where that stuff came from. And the hoses are very possibly the problem.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The fuel lines from the cell to the regulator on my Firebird are 17 years old and again, my filters always look like they just came out of the box. Vern has a fuel source or storage issue.

Tony, that's the filter that killed over .5mph on my dragster

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wind conditions will affect my ride by .5 mph. Was this one time slip or a statistical grouping?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've been doing this for a little while and have made more passes than most here, I know how to control my testing. You can't get down the track with tire issues.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave,

I’m confused a bit. I assume you were talking about Ed. I do run an air filter and two fuel filters. I use the big K&N tapered air filter and the one I posted of the big Ron’s fuel filter and a small one on the line to the Primer Plus pump.

I used to have a filter on the fuel cell vent line. I increased the size of that line and removed that filter according to Ron’s recommendation. After seeing more crap in the big filter I will be adding a filter on that vent line.

My point is still that you need to run a filter. Where we live the wind blows. I also disagree with Ed on the air filter deal. I don’t care if it slows the car down some, out here I’m using one. Good luck to everyone on whatever they decide to do.

I think you are doing the right thing running an air filter. I do not because I run an Enderle hat injection and it is not a good option with those.
With a carb your cylinder walls, valve guides will look better and your air bleeds will stay cleaner with a filter. May cost you a little ET but we are not Pro Stock looking for every penny we can get.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The FACTS and the TRUTH...SCDIV1 built/freshened, ported the heads and manifolds on 468 BBC from 1999 to 2008 and there was never a sign of excessive wear as a result of never running an air filter on that engine and it was raced in dusty conditions throughout it's life. Further, up until 2008 when I sold my Chevelle, there wasn't another n/a Chevelle/GM A body in Division 1 or Division 2 for that matter with a 468, 496, 502, 540 and GM's 572 that could touch it despite everyone of these A bodies weighing hundreds of pounds less.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I will say this about the fuel. I used to run Av-gas back in the day out of the tank from the local airport. I also used to run VP C-12 and now with this car I run Sunoco 112.

I have seriously considered switching to VP but it is a pain to get in our area. I have to drive to Lubbock in order to get it and it is drum quantity. The five gallon cans of Sunoco cost more but seem to fit my program better.

May have to consider switching to VP. I will pull the filter and check it mid season and see how things look. I will also probably pull the tank and flush it since I almost have everything off anyways to replace the lines.

Ed, dusty conditions are when the cars hit third gear you can no longer see them! Big Grin

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I come from out West! I use air filters! For a reason!

Posts: 2108 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ED's "ignorantism" is triggered again, go figure. Razz

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
says another clueless nobody that ain't got shyt nor done shyt!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will say this about the fuel. I used to run Av-gas back in the day out of the tank from the local airport. I also used to run VP C-12 and now with this car I run Sunoco 112.

I have seriously considered switching to VP but it is a pain to get in our area. I have to drive to Lubbock in order to get it and it is drum quantity. The five gallon cans of Sunoco cost more but seem to fit my program better.

May have to consider switching to VP. I will pull the filter and check it mid season and see how things look. I will also probably pull the tank and flush it since I almost have everything off anyways to replace the lines.

Vern, I have run Sunoco Race fuels...purple, blue and red for over 30 years and until 2019, my fuel was pump from large tanks into my 5 gallon jugs at the tracks I competed at. Again, no filter in any of my cars over 3 decades has had any debris no mind ever look anything like your filter.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have enough clue to park my butt in a racecar seat & win. Unlike you, you are the clueless loser. Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've got the Wallys and the checkswith my name on them, you got neither, rather got a W with your shyt pile at your duck pond loser!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
To the OP, I would be checking your fuel barrels. The liner that is used has a limited life and will break down. A Renegade dealer out here was using old barrels for their bulk shipped fuel that cost me a rebuild on my Book carb, a new Magna 500 pump and of course all new fuel lines to the tune of over $2000. When I called Renegade they told me that barrel should not have been used. They sent me 2 brand new barrels of fuel.

My fuel filter looked at least that bad or worse....

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Provide some proof & not riding on you sons coat tails either.

Mine are setting on the mantels collecting dust. Keep talking about things you don't know.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For those that use a K+N type pleated filter, do you oil them with the spray type filter oil and clean them with water based cleaner periodically?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post