DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    615 SR20 - 4.11 or 4.29
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

615 SR20 - 4.11 or 4.29
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
I think all of you guys are fat & slow... my "little" conventional head 584" has been 7.14 in real good air and typically runs 7.20's with my 200lb a$$ in the seat. Albrecht Power & Ron's injection to the front (actually I just felt like bragging and figured maybe I could get Ed to scale my car while him & Al are "swordfighting" at Numidia).

Laughing Hard

Not worthy was pretty funny!

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Still...Comical! Laughing very hard

2BKING Laughing at the guy who has the short circuit. Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What's with all the talk about weight? I don't get it, It's not like your closest competition is NHRA Copo Camaro's, where there is a weight limitation.

There ain't no weight limits with dragsters. You're either fastest making posts on this page, or you ain't. Weight don't matter.

Weight is no category.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There's only two dragster categories.

N/A

Boosted

Neither category has weight limitations

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely do a 4.11, or 1.69 low with a 4.29 final gear, especially if it's a short deck 615 BBC.

New Big Bubba radial 2.0 don't grow. From what I hear everyone will have em, once they're released onto the market.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I wish my car weighed 18xx...I'm at 1975 with a full tank of fuel and me in the seat. Add the bottle and wheelie bar and I'm well into the 2000's.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1469 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
I'd definitely do a 4.11, or 1.69 low with a 4.29 final gear, especially if it's a short deck 615 BBC.

New Big Bubba radial 2.0 don't grow. From what I hear everyone will have em, once they're released onto the market.

4.11 isn't an optimum gear with these big tires and 1/8th mile racing.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
not optimum for 1/4 mile racing either.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine the current Big Bubba is a 10% growth tire, Hoosier probably 20% or close, now these are educated guesses but subject to error.

You're gonna cross 300-400 rpm higher 1/8 mile on a no growth radial, with more converter slip. You'll see.

If you don't switch to the new Big Bubba Grande radial 2.0, obviously what I'd do hypothetically does not apply to you.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd imagine the current Big Bubba is a 10% growth tire, Hoosier probably 20% or close, now these are educated guesses but subject to error.

You're gonna cross 300-400 rpm higher 1/8 mile on a no growth radial, with more converter slip. You'll see.

If you don't switch to the new Big Bubba Grande radial 2.0, obviously what I'd do hypothetically does not apply to you.

Every now and then I take a peak at Retread's posts, especially the ones that do not apply to his cone crushing Nova!
So some facts regarding his BS above:

Big Bubba's grow about 6 to 7% on my car going 196+ MPH, not 10%. Less speed, less growth. He's only off by 40+ percent, time for a real education! Big Grin

Reducing the tire diameter at speed by using a smaller tire or a radial that won't grow much is effectively reducing load on the converter, no different than going from a 4.11 to a 4.29 rear gear. Converter slippage is a function of the load applied to it therefore slippage will be reduced, not increased.

Retread must have stock in the Radial MT's that are in testing now, he almost plugs these tires as much as his triple crome plated bumper, wicked fast cone crushing SBC Nova! Big Grin

Since you have stock in these tires, maybe you can send me a set to test and we can see who's right! Razz

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Every now and then I take a peak at Retread's posts, especially the ones that do not apply to his cone crushing Nova!
So some facts regarding his BS above:

Big Bubba's grow about 6 to 7% on my car going 196+ MPH, not 10%. Less speed, less growth. He's only off by 40+ percent, time for a real education! Big Grin

Reducing the tire diameter at speed by using a smaller tire or a radial that won't grow much is effectively reducing load on the converter, no different than going from a 4.11 to a 4.29 rear gear. Converter slippage is a function of the load applied to it therefore slippage will be reduced, not increased.

Retread must have stock in the Radial MT's that are in testing now, he almost plugs these tires as much as his triple crome plated bumper, wicked fast cone crushing SBC Nova! Big Grin

Since you have stock in these tires, maybe you can send me a set to test and we can see who's right! Razz

Interesting how you start off with a facts don't matter Libtard claim that somehow I crushed the cone, when in reality there the cone sits on the finish line behind my Nova, unmoved.

Show us your math for 7% tire growth, I imagine it's as libtarded as your previous delusional conclusions/claims.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You libtards just don't get it, it wasn't the track officials money to hand out to whoever they preferred.

The race winner is decided by the race, not by libtard officials preferences for a winner.

Below is the race, everything else is make believe. Who specializes in make believe and facts don't matter?... Libtards.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
TECHNICALLY a normal bubba would be 11% growth. It starts life at 35" and grows to 39". You can fact check me on the mickey website...

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Hoosier’s C1550 at speed

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
TECHNICALLY a normal bubba would be 11% growth. It starts life at 35" and grows to 39". You can fact check me on the mickey website...

So you read it on the internet so it's gospel. Cool

Based on Racepak data and my time slips my Big's grow from 34.9" to 36.6".

Tire growth which is known as the loaded radius or diameter is a function of the tire, rpm and weight of the car. What you read on the internet sounds much closer to the 3186 tire and not the 3195/3197 tires, AKA Big Bubbas, technically!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Ed, wide open run, what are you crossing the stripe at, rpm wise? 1/4 mile....and what gear?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1469 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
7700 and 4.29

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Tire growth which is known as the loaded radius or diameter is a function of the tire, rpm and weight of the car. What you read on the internet sounds much closer to the 3186 tire and not the 3195/3197 tires, AKA Big Bubbas, technically!

When the 3195 first came out, MT dealers and the website showed that the tire grew to the same height as the 3186, which is 39". But, the 3195 started taller, so it had less growth than the 3186. This all used to be on the MT website, and you no longer can find it.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

When the 3195 first came out, MT dealers and the website showed that the tire grew to the same height as the 3186, which is 39". But, the 3195 started taller, so it had less growth than the 3186. This all used to be on the MT website, and you no longer can find it.

The 3186 and the bubba's are very close to the same diameter! I have had both and yes, as with all tires, some are smaller and some are bigger depending on the batch. The 3186 grows more because it's a 17" wide tire vs 15" for the bubbas. Also I know the 3186's did not grow to 39" either, more like 37.5 to 38 max on my car/dragster at 195 mph. Maybe 39" on a 210 MPH plus dragster but those cars have rear wings!

When you look at Ed's picture, the rear tires look bigger than they really are with respect to the load radius. Look closer and you can see the 12 o'clock position of the tire to the center of the rim is more than to the 6 o'clock position. This distance is what counts with respect to rpm and mph, basically the effective tire diameter.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The 3186 and the bubba's are very close to the same diameter! I have had both and yes, as with all tires, some are smaller and some are bigger depending on the batch. The 3186 grows more because it's a 17" wide tire vs 15" for the bubbas. Also I know the 3186's did not grow to 39" either, more like 37.5 to 38 max on my car/dragster at 195 mph. Maybe 39" on a 210 MPH plus dragster but those cars have rear wings!

When you look at Ed's picture, the rear tires look bigger than they really are with respect to the load radius. Look closer and you can see the 12 o'clock position of the tire to the center of the rim is more than to the 6 o'clock position. This distance is what counts with respect to rpm and mph, basically the effective tire diameter.

Post a photo of the race pack graph.