DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    415 sbc Camshaft recommendation needed!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
415 sbc Camshaft recommendation needed!
 Login/Join
 
DRR Pro
Picture of 595X
posted
Need the Correct Small base circle camshaft!

415 sbc with decked SHP block, eagle rotating assembly with JE 5.6cc dome pistons, AFR 220 #1110 aluminum heads, 1.6 roller rockers, Victor Jr intake with 1" spacer, 950 QF methonal carburetor & 1 7/8 headers.

Going into a 3200 pound with driver 1/8th mile ladder bar bracket car with 4.56 gear, 31x14x15 slick, Powerglide with a 55-5800 FTI converter.
Launching at 3800 & shifting at 6800.







 
Posts: 3369 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would call Bullet, they really have been very helpful. They asked a bunch of questions, intended use, weight, gear, trans, stall, what type and ratio rockers and many more and they got me a really good cam. I now buy most all of my cams from them except the SBC SB-2 cams as they do not have the cam cores I needed for that particular cam.

Another large big name company I called they asked me "Big block or Small block? Dirt or Drag? Here is cam you need." They did not know or care if I was entry level bracket racing or comp eliminator all out class racing. Hard pass.

Another large name cam company will NEVER answer phone.

Cams and Converters on our race cars is critical and in my opinion Bullet cams and Hughes converters are top of the line. They ask a lot of questions and are able to get you the one that best fits for needs.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 12527 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I've been using Custom Cams for many years.
Tommy Kirk is very knowledgeable and thorough, I have probably bought at least a dozen solid rollers from him and never had a problem with his design and work. Give him a call and discuss your build. 662 534-4881
 
Posts: 912 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As racer DLR posted above, I also use Custom Cams. DLR posted the number in his comment. They work great, and as a bonus, they crackle at idle, which lets you know it means business.


Larry Woodfin



 
Posts: 4902 | Location: Longview TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
My 415ci, SHP block, 14:1 made 694hp on the dyno with my Bullet cam. I think it is 688 lift and small base circle.
 
Posts: 215 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
CAD, tell me more about your engine. Heads, intake, fuel, carb?


Larry Woodfin



 
Posts: 4902 | Location: Longview TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing some good things about powell cams.
I have yet to purchase 1 from them, but the next cam I buy will be from them.

https://www.powellmachineinc.com/


Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.
 
Posts: 426 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've used this cam from a 400" to a 418" and it works great you can get the .900 base like I use and tweak the centerline we have a 2700lb S-10 with a 6200 stall 29x10.5 tire that will run 9.70's on renegade K-13 leaving at 3400-3800 and shift at 6800. Its a Herbert racing cams CCR264 might be worth a call.
 
Posts: 2223 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
CAD, tell me more about your engine. Heads, intake, fuel, carb?


Hi Larry.

3.875x4.125 SHP block
14:1 Wiseco pistons
AFR 220 out of the box heads
3/8 push rods
Holley 300-110 out of the box
Siebert 4150/950 cfm carburetor.
Custom Bullet cam 4-7 swap firing order with 1.6 conventional rocker arms.
VP Blue gas
Built by Siebert Performance in Topeka.
Dyno'd at Topliff in Manhattan KS

Clark
 
Posts: 215 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    415 sbc Camshaft recommendation needed!

© DragRaceResults.com 2026