DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Where to mount coils
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to mount coils
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Ok, input here. Where to mount my coils. Pics of valve cover mounting possibilities:

Or:

Question:
Where should I mount my coils?

Choices:
At the rear of the engine, in the place where my primer pump and tank go
On the valve cover, terminal facing up
On the valve cover, coil on the side

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1498 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
I personally would not mount them on the valve covers simply due to the heat you will be exposing them too.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 311 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I personally would not mount to a race engine. I would mount to the frame rail. It's not so much the heat but the vibration.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 243 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to mount coils vertically to a plate at the front of the engine/ back of seat, and then make the spark plug wires the needed length to reach each cylinder? This makes it easier to do valve check not mounted to valve covers.

Posts: 2484 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How often do you go through the valves? I would avoid the valve covers just for that.

Posts: 193 | Location: ny | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I cannot mount them anywhere in front of the engine due to space limitations....I really dont' want to weld on or drill holes in the valve covers either, but if it comes to that, I'll do it....but so far, rear mount is most likely.

Thanks for the input so far.

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1498 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Id build something similar to the motion raceworks setup and mount them down on the diagonal bar down beside the engine

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 472 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Can you mount the coils to these vertical bars?

Posts: 2484 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
Id build something similar to the motion raceworks setup and mount them down on the diagonal bar down beside the engine

Yes, something like this. This bracket only fits the older MSD coil not the newer style that you have with the 3 external wire screws.

Motion Raceworks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mounted mine on a bar down low in front of the engine. Like those small bars you have in the pic, parallel to the ground . made my mount and used a fuel tech coil setup that ties 4 coils together

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1525 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Can you mount the coils to these vertical bars?

There is no room there or on the other side

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I got the mavin performance mounts bar clamp style and the ics remote mount. The coils don't fit the ics brackets without a small spacer between the bracket and coil, but they fit the mavin brackets. I think I'm just gonna bolt them to the motor plate using the Mavin brackets. Just hope two 1/4-20 bolts per mount will be enough. I'll post pics tomorrow to show what I'm gonna do

Mark Goulette

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 276 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Most mount to a stand off from the valve cover. Seems to be the best. Short wire too!
I’ve seen many guys do the valves in minutes with those mounts. Really no place else available… practical anyway. Underside of a hood is a ton hotter than you will see.
JMO…

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Wild West 2:
I personally would not mount them on the valve covers simply due to the heat you will be exposing them too.

On the valve covers they would see very little heat...they would also be right in the air stream as car is going down track.....

Still tossing around the idea of the valve covers, so gonna mock it up and see what I like the best. If they go on the valve covers, they won't be welded on as it would take forever here to get that done, and the covers aren't very thick. Gonna test the strength of the mounts at the back of the engine, because if I go into tire shake, I want to know they won't break.....I'm going to finish the car this weekend with the exception of the converter. I'm waiting to hear back from Marty at Chance converters on a new stator. If I do the valve covers they will get bolted on. I do have spacers for that....I'd actually prefer that because I won't have to relocate my primer pump setup.....ugh....new build new issues to figure out...

Thanks for all the input though guys, I do appreciate it. Keep the ideas coming though

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out the dozens of different LS coil mounts on Ebay?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4476 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I mounted mine beside the oil pan. But with a sbc I have a little more room. It works.
Wherever they go, they are likely to live an easier life than 200k miles under the hood of a modern automobile.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Have you checked out the dozens of different LS coil mounts on Ebay?

Yes...99.9% of them will not work....

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Well, after trial fitting some stuff, looking at different things, it looks like I'm gonna mount them on the valve covers. I like them at the rear of the engine, but I have issue with only two 1/4" bolts holding four coils in place. It looks nice, and is pretty clean, but I lose my primer pump mounting spot, and I'm just not comfortable with it. Thanks for all the input though. Looks like I have a set of ICT billet remote mounts and Mavin performance tube mounts for 1 3/8" tubing I won't need....pm if interested.

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not sure what your plan is but id build a bracket that mounts to the three top valve cover bolts so they can easily be moved out of the way

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 472 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post