DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Where to mount coils
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to mount coils
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I'd be inclined to try to build something attached at a couple of the header bolts. ?
Something where a couple or four bolts move the whole rack aside.
Short plug wires, all the same length, easy to remove the rocker covers.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dennis aluminum plates that bolt to top holes and if needed more support could make stands to hold to bottom valve cover bolts also

Posts: 414 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
I'd be inclined to try to build something attached at a couple of the header bolts. ?
Something where a couple or four bolts move the whole rack aside.
Short plug wires, all the same length, easy to remove the rocker covers.

My primary tubes are pretty big on my headers and not much room for a bracket there either. I had to grind down a couple of nuts and run them without washers to fit them...a bracket would never work there. My plan now is to attach them to the valve covers, and have the harness terminated with a Deutsch connector so all I have to do to pull the covers is unplug the coils and unhook the plug wires...I may get my valve covers dipped after I drill them so they look better but for now that's the plan. This car was built in 2002 so not a lot of new design stuff that would make this easier. But is what it is....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1513 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to drill threw your valve covers and bolt them on to them I would fun bolts from inside and put a nut to cover basically making them like studs then put coils on and use another nut or the better choice would be get some aluminum rod and have it welded on to covers to make stands so no holes threw covers and no chance to have hardware loosen up and fall into engine

Posts: 414 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check out Moroso 72394 bbc brackets to mount ls coils

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^Agreed!! That’s an excellent mounting idea.

Posts: 2611 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I wish I'd have seen those sooner, but I'm gonna do the valve cover thing. I will be running the bolts up from underneath though, and red loctite is your friend here, as well as a dab of right stuff.......

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1513 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Googled ls coil mounts for bbc

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Googled ls coil mounts for bbc

I did....multiple times

Mark Goulette