DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    champion 5500/4000 inverter generator
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

champion 5500/4000 inverter generator
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at champion 5500 watt inverter generator. Mostly for trailer. Biggest thing would be A/C unit. Other items would be lights, Microwave and air compressor when in use. While A/c looks like it takes about 3000 start up only 1250 or so to run. Don't think power would be issue unless running A/C with lights and using air compressor and then startup draw probably biggest issue. Could be wrong.

Anybody have one or had one. Option of it?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yea it’s Chinese junk built by the same country that gave us COVID and of course you don’t care!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Honda 7000 inverter gen. Nice and quiet or a used onan out of a motorhome. Do not know youer situatio but in the last 3 trailers I bought used Onans 450.00- 700.00 and that way had quiet power in the trailer as well as quiet diesel power on the motorhome. 3 weekends ago the guy beside me rolled out a Honda 7000 inverter gen and it was so nice and quiet.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
SLICKSTER… KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Looking at champion 5500 watt inverter generator. Mostly for trailer. Biggest thing would be A/C unit. Other items would be lights, Microwave and air compressor when in use. While A/c looks like it takes about 3000 start up only 1250 or so to run. Don't think power would be issue unless running A/C with lights and using air compressor and then startup draw probably biggest issue. Could be wrong.

Anybody have one or had one. Option of it?

Couple of my friends have them with the RV's
Runs just fine. Single roof units...

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Guessing Ed means on the onan since Honda generators are build in 4 or 5 country's.

I agree both are very good and would make better investment. Also know what I have to spend and neither fit inside that area. Tehn I did ask for opinions. I have big onan on motor home that quit producing power after less than 100 hrs. More than likely had to do with experts that we let use it deciding it was wired wrong and they reworked it for us. Got to love experts who fix things that are not broken.

Thanks for reply on champion generator. I had one brand new never got fired up a friend needed one real bad and offered me 200 over cost so bye bye. Has worked great for him the two times he has used it since.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Some Honda generators are built in China.

I learned that quite a while ago looking up info to fix a few.

I was repairing an Onan 5.5 RV gas unit a while ago for an NHRA Stock racer from the New England area. He had a lot of races coming up and bought one of those Champion Inverter’s in the 4000 range. Mounted it on his trailers tongue on a plate.

A very nice unit and works well for him. Remote start.

The quality from the looks of it was far better than the typical Made in China junk of the past. Price was under a grand.

I fixed his Onan and he has it back in his MH but the Champion is a good backup.

I see many generators and the Honda’s are by far the best in portable quiet inverter’s but the China made stuff is very popular and many people buy them.

Predators and Champions

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
^^ That’s also me ^^

My 2003 Onan 5500 W gas generator lost a rotor bearing, on the first day of a four day race. It took out the brushes, which is why it shut off. There are no Onan dealers near Bowling Green, next closest place was Nashville. when I went to Onan locally to get a set of brushes, I asked, out of curiosity how much a rotor and stator would be should I need one, they quoted me $746 “if” they can get one. They said that is a special order part (even though my generator is an 03) and it would be 4 to 6 weeks out. My Onan has 885 hours on it.

I picked up a Champion 4650 watt remote start generator for $749, it’s hard to put a lot of faith in my Onan generator now that it has let me down. Even though I hope to never use it as a spare, I have a little peace of mind knowing I can at least have an air conditioner and run the rest of my equipment.

What’s Also frustrating is my local Onan/Cummins dealer did not have much in stock nor were they super happy to help me find any parts. Also, a new Onan is $4k plus tax…

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have had the Champion 2000 for about 8 years and it has worked great. I highly recommend them. They are quiet and do not use much fuel.

Only problem I have had with it was one Winter I let it sit for several months and when I went to start it the thing would not idle good. Bought a brand new carb for about $28 dollars and no problems since. It is a good idea to start your lawnmowers, generators, weed eaters etc every 30 days or so to keep the carbs from having any issues.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
For your air Conditioning unit get you a 21.5 SEER mini split 12,000 BTU unit and you can run a MUCH smaller Generator.

Also they are quieter and more adjustable. Mini split only way to go now.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Get this air conditioner draw 960 watts to cool and 1120 to heat. With this you can use a 3200 or possibly even a 2000 watt Generator.

3YAAOSwHoFXuvig" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/32222...d:gBig Grin3YAAOSwHoFXuvig

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Many years on my Champion generator. Over the years I needed a valve cover gasket when I adjusted the valves, called them no problem no charge. Needed a fuel line, noticed it looking bad during oil change, no problem no charge, came with the clamps. This year fuel shutoff valve leaked, no problem no charge and we'll send you 2 just in case.
Not just a good generator but good customer service.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
^^ That’s also me ^^

My 2003 Onan 5500 W gas generator lost a rotor bearing, on the first day of a four day race. It took out the brushes, which is why it shut off. There are no Onan dealers near Bowling Green, next closest place was Nashville. when I went to Onan locally to get a set of brushes, I asked, out of curiosity how much a rotor and stator would be should I need one, they quoted me $746 “if” they can get one. They said that is a special order part (even though my generator is an 03) and it would be 4 to 6 weeks out. My Onan has 885 hours on it.

I picked up a Champion 4650 watt remote start generator for $749, it’s hard to put a lot of faith in my Onan generator now that it has let me down. Even though I hope to never use it as a spare, I have a little peace of mind knowing I can at least have an air conditioner and run the rest of my equipment.

What’s Also frustrating is my local Onan/Cummins dealer did not have much in stock nor were they super happy to help me find any parts. Also, a new Onan is $4k plus tax…

That is exactly what failed on the 5.5 Onan I fixed

For some reason the 5.5's do that and not the 7kw that is nearly an identical unit.

Onan does not sell the rotor bearings by themselves and rotors and stators have to be bought as a unit and are basically NOT available

I can and have changed the bad bearings. It's a struggle but can be done. I've done it twice in the last year or two.

A 5.5 is about $4300 new and none available for 5 months last time I checked.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought the bearings at a local bearing supplier. I had a 7kw in my older motorhome years ago and never any trouble.

I’m scared to say it but I feel like a Chinese manufacturer will catch on to this niche in the motorhome generator market. IE: generators specifically for motorhomes.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Well I can guarantee you I have had three of the Champion generators and all were great.

I THINK the Honda motors have been made in China for many years.

The price for a new Onan generator for my RV is $9750. That is ridiculous and it is looking like the Onans are not that durable. Big failures at 885 hours?

And you can buy a similar sized Champion new for the price to repair the Onan?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah that’s the point I was making. I bought a ready, quiet, 30A generator for the price of a rotor/stator that would be 4-6 weeks out.

That’s the inherent problem with generators, you only use them when you need them, and you only break them when you use them..

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Onan 4KY 4000 watt RV units....

They work well but hate hot weather......Like all Onan AIR cooled units....

Do anything you can to help them run cooler.

Hook up a fan and blow cool air into the cool air inlet area of any Onan and it will be much happier....

Right now I'm fixing an Onan 4KY 4000 watt unit from a Class C MH........Magneto coil wire fractured....weak/no spark. It's a pretty common failure....but can be very difficult to diagnose if you don't know these machines like I do.....

Remove it from MH....Disassemble.....replace mag coil and also a fuel pump since it's original and nasty.....

Get it running, bench test it and reinstall it....

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
For your air Conditioning unit get you a 21.5 SEER mini split 12,000 BTU unit and you can run a MUCH smaller Generator.

So you want to buy the brand new roof top this is about year old?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

So you want to buy the brand new roof top this is about year old?

No way, you can get a good one for same price and uses less than half the electricity meaning you can use smaller generator.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I have a onan 4k sitting in my shop as a spare. I've had it for years.
7000kw generac bought in 2004. It's in the trailer. I have replace the brushes on it a couple of times and other than maintenance items it has been pretty much trouble free. It did destroy a new set of brushes after running about 1 hour on them for some unknown reason. Since then I carry a Yamaha 300 kw in the trailer only because it is small and easy for me to handle by myself.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post