DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Engine loses rpm when put in gear
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine loses rpm when put in gear
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Kinda old school....but simple..

Try another carb, then pull the convertor...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

I agree with this, it could be converter but always try the quick, cheap easy stuff before you try the hard, expensive stuff.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
will the motor deck and come up at 1.25turns,that would seem lean to me also.when screws were out to 2.25 and wouldnt start easily was the idle lower?most likely at 2.5 turns an idle motor up from there you will be getting close.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by highstrung:
Friend of mine said the same thing.

A friend experienced enough to spot a sprag failure, is light years beyond experienced enough to turn the mixture screws.

They've already turned the mixture screws every which way to Sunday. That's why the OP mentioned the carb was just *gone thru*.

There's a bunch of sprag converters out there still, banjo and I just bought one which turned out destroyed by a broken sprag, when TSI cut it open to make it spragless.

A bunch of spragged converters in pro charged Top Dragster? ... I havent seen one yet, granted I surely dont know everyone

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
quote:

A friend experienced enough to spot a sprag failure, is light years beyond experienced enough to turn the mixture screws.

They've already turned the mixture screws every which way to Sunday. That's why the OP mentioned the carb was just *gone thru*.

There's a bunch of sprag converters out there still, banjo and I just bought one which turned out destroyed by a broken sprag, when TSI cut it open to make it spragless.

A bunch of spragged converters in pro charged Top Dragster? ... I havent seen one yet, granted I surely dont know everyone

Lots of diode converters out there still too! Do you know what a diode converter is??

It's a sprag converter.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I would call APD and see what they suggest. My guess is they could give you an easy way to figure out if it's carb issue or not.

Called APD and Abruzzi.

Abruzzi said converter is spragless...so thats off the table
APD is suggesting turning out idle mixture by one turn, and turning up curb idle screws 1 turn
guess thats next...

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
will the motor deck and come up at 1.25turns,that would seem lean to me also.when screws were out to 2.25 and wouldnt start easily was the idle lower?most likely at 2.5 turns an idle motor up from there you will be getting close.

trying that next...

Posts: 32 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

wish I had another blow thru carb laying around...LOL
trying idle mixture screws and idle screws

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Again...Abruzzi said converter was spragless

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
Abruzzi mentioned the only thing it "could be, but HIGHLY doubt it would be stator tube loose on pump"...but he highly doubted this scenario.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Does the converter get extremely hot ? If so that is another indication of slipped or twisted stator tube and yes it will pull the engine down at idle and also will not flash the converter very high.

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
Well, for idling and going back and forth a few times on the driveway. I thought it got toasty. Trans cooler temp said 160...felt hotter. But again don't know if thats normal for this combo.

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
Played around with idle mixture and idle adj screws. I go out with idle mixture screws, you go in with idle adj screws. If you go in with idle mixture screws, you go out with idle adj screws. One way or another its just a matter of whether you want to run it lean or rich. You just compensate with idle adj screws. Bottom line...at 2000rpm I can get it to idle in drive at 1250 ish. Any which way you dial it. It pulls down 750-800 rpm in drive. No idea if thats normal for this car. Trans got kind of warm for just idling in driveway and a few easy idles up and down the driveway. Dont have any baseline for that either. Maybe converter that tight? Idk...

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
mine is normally 1250 in n or p, 1000ish in gear

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
Do the idle mixture screws make a noticeable difference when turning them out? I had one that pulled down in gear and wanted to die. I had to change idle air bleeds to a smaller size. If your mixture screws make an obvious difference then that is probably not it. I have never been around a blow through so maybe it is a total different set up.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
mine is normally 1250 in n or p, 1000ish in gear

Yeah...you and everyone else except me is in that ballpark. Hence my posting. I know all the combos are different. I was even looking at the fact that the cam is installed at 117deg which Im to understand could account for some of this. Just dont wan to take it out to the track and blow something up when my gut says something could be amiss. I just have no history with this car to know whats right and whats wrong. Sticky position...

DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
Do the idle mixture screws make a noticeable difference when turning them out? I had one that pulled down in gear and wanted to die. I had to change idle air bleeds to a smaller size. If your mixture screws make an obvious difference then that is probably not it. I have never been around a blow through so maybe it is a total different set up.

I found you adjusted idle mixture, and compensated with idle adj screws. Either way it still tugs motor down 800rpm from park to drive.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Why not stall the converter on the brake? Should at least tell you which area of the car to focus on.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a vaccum leak. Base of intake gasket to lifter valley can be a hard one to find but you’ll know it for sure when you pressurize the crank case and push a bunch of oil out all the cracks and crevices.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Sounds like a vaccum leak. Base of intake gasket to lifter valley can be a hard one to find but you’ll know it for sure when you pressurize the crank case and push a bunch of oil out all the cracks and crevices.

Simply block the crankcase vents and check for vacuum present while idling.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post