DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission issue, input needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission issue, input needed
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Just an update - I was finally able to have a break from work and check the transmission pressure. Car running and in low its about 30 psi, press transbreak button and it falls slightly but comes back up to 30-35 psi. Get up on the converter and it will go up to 250-275ish psi. Let off and back down to 40ish psi.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That is insanely low. Look at the pump and the regulator. (also the servo for any leaks)

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 27 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
is idle speed real low also

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon@BTE:
That is insanely low. Look at the pump and the regulator. (also the servo for any leaks)

What do you think the norm should be for it when in low gear and at 900 to 1200 RPM

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
JUST ASKING...WHAT VALVE BODY..??...STANDARD REGULATOR OR CAPSULE REGULATOR....THANKS..

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DON KALINA:
JUST ASKING...WHAT VALVE BODY..??...STANDARD REGULATOR OR CAPSULE REGULATOR....THANKS..

If I remember correctly its an FTI Pro Break Valve Body. Not sure on the regulator.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Da Shoe,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da Shoe:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon@BTE:

What do you think the norm should be for it when in low gear and at 900 to 1200 RPM

A little differant animal but gives you something to compare to, my TD trans idling at 1600 in low gear, Reid pump, Abruzzi cast VB with a Sonnax boost valve, not sure what spring is in it has 230psi, 280psi going down the track

With only 35PSI at idle You either have a bad pump or a really bad internal leak. Time to pull the trans and start checking

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Is it a steel or aluminum stator in the converter?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
Is it a steel or aluminum stator in the converter?

With pump pressure that low at idle in gear I doubt its going to be converter. As long as the motor gets up on the chip good (as he has said) its gonna be more internal in the transmission. Probably a seal, gasket, ring, servo etc. Also with it building pressure when he gets on the chip I doubt its the pump.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
UPDATE - Looks like my pump ate something up. While all the gears look good there is a small area where it looks like some material went through it and is imbedded in the aluminum. Possibly ate the pressure valve as I cannot find one on it. Everything else looked good in the transmission and I wouldn't find any issues otherwise. Time for a new pump I guess.

DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE...I'VE SEEN SMALL THINGS IN PUMPS THAT WENT LOW PRESSURE AT IDLE ....THESE DAYS IT'S A NEW PUMP OR I REFUSE TO BUILD ONE...

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If your budget allows Consider spending a few extra bucks and get a Reid PGP1 pump, best pump on the market IMO and is all I use

https://www.summitracing.com/p...DtvcYnBoCHC8QAvD_BwE

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation on pump. I'm doing some research on them as I'm looking to get a good one. I may send the old one in and get it looked at and possibly fixed for a spare. Just not sure if I should send the converter in or not.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you haven't done so already, I would tear the complete transmission down. If it was run with only 30 psi it probably smoked the clutches and band and got the steels and seals hot. It would suck to put it all together, install it in the car and still not be right. If you at least check everything including the converter, you will know it's right when you roll up to the starting line.

Posts: 110 | Location: SO. IL. | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
If your budget allows Consider spending a few extra bucks and get a Reid PGP1 pump, best pump on the market IMO and is all I use

https://www.summitracing.com/p...DtvcYnBoCHC8QAvD_BwE

X2

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFR:
If you haven't done so already, I would tear the complete transmission down. If it was run with only 30 psi it probably smoked the clutches and band and got the steels and seals hot. It would suck to put it all together, install it in the car and still not be right. If you at least check everything including the converter, you will know it's right when you roll up to the starting line.

Everything has been tore down and inspected. Everything looked like brand new! Only thing was you could see some small, very small and very few hot spots on the drum. Other than that it was like brand new.
As far as checking the converter I don't really know what can be done besides stalling it up, where it was fine before it was all pulled.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If you get a Reid pump since it is a brand new pump not a reworked old casting like many are, there will be no reason to have your old one rebuilt for a spare

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
How big of a role would the converter play in this pump pressure? I am thinking it may need to be checked but not sure as it had no issues.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How much trash was in the pan? Usually if you tear up a pump you will see quite a bit of trash in the pan. If it had a lot of trash I would send the converter in to have it cut open and cleaned and the bearings checked. If there's trash in the pan there is trash in the converter.
I'm not an expert on transmissions, but it is strange that the pressure is fluctuating that much. I have had pumps get chewed up and have never seen pump pressure that low. I would look at the pressure regulator in the valve body and pressure check the clutch packs and servo plus the sealing rings on the input shaft.

Posts: 110 | Location: SO. IL. | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Not that much trash in the pan. Nothing large or chunk'y just some very fine glittery stuff but not much at all.