Tools

MFI pressure
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:

Prior to switching from MFI to EFI, I ran the ECU as Data Acquisition to determine a starting point for AFR programming in EFI. Once programmed and in use, I looked at the Duty Cycle to see how well the injector size selection and fuel pressure setting was working at wot and maximum rpm. For mine it was 79% Duty Cycle with 5.30 afr programmed (methanol scale) in the very best air (-700 DA) that I’ve experienced in 2021. Last weekend it was 76% Duty Cycle with 5.20 afr programmed in 4300’ DA. From what I’ve read 80% is good “maximum” number.

You wrote that varying the injector timing could produce more HP. What effect does Duty Cycle setting have on HP, if any? What fuel pressure settings do you prefer when using EFI?

Not sure how that would work since you are at 79% which is 568 degrees of rotation or 13.2 MS @7000 rpm. You are putting most of the fuel on the intake valve. I don't know where your "end of squirt" setting is, but, on the one engine we tried this on, we found a little power by moving the EOS to max intake valve opening. Might want to move it around 10 degrees at a time and see what the results are.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1307 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Wrong and says the clueless broke dyck who's procharged POS that barely accelerates his shyt box into the 9's was broken, a no show, did not compete come the one race he talks about all year, the Spring Fling yet he never goes deep in the rounds, never sniffed a final round at this event no mind won and this shytbox hasn't been on a race track in 5 months!

Special Ed, no worries about your delusional ramblings about what my car runs. I posted the slip below & will bump the post for your memory.

As for the Spring Fling I've missed 3 races & the last one was for a family emergency. Car wasn't broke or "blown up" as you stated. As for round wins at the Fling, I've won more rounds than YOU at a Fling.

My car was on the track in May & posted on DRR. Continue on with your BS, we are Laughing very hard at YOU!

This was posted in Jan. 2023, you're lacking in comprehension as usual & you read everything I post!

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

about your procharged POS, it's TURD nor your delusions about round wins. Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

about your procharged POS, it's TURD nor your delusions about round wins. Laughing very hard

Wrong You care so badly it's hilarious....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, but YOU do! You keep bringing it up. Laughing very hard

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Scratching my head wondering when I had an interaction with Tracey Dennis.....

As far as burning a piston on the dyno, 1320 is right I did on the 615 20 degree motor first day on the dyno. 3rd pull, burned #5 cylinder between rings. The cause was not fuel/timing/tune up related nor was it assembly related. I was having trouble circulating water in the motor on the dyno. Attempted to get cool water supplied to the heads not the block to mimic how I have it done in the car. Hot spot in the head and detonation led to piston burning. Lesson learned.

On the return trip to the dyno we ran the same tune up (timing and pills) and many more (rich/lean, more timing/less timing) 20+ pulls with no issue. Motor has 300+ passes in the car now no reliability issues. FWIW it runs within a few hundredths +/- of a couple similar 20 degree 615s on gasoline in 4 link dragsters around my area. Using those cars same track same day, its not far off the mark sometimes faster sometimes slower but never more than 0.05 either way. Seem to me most/all the guys out there really flying with 20 degree NA motors in dragsters have BIG cams, many are aluminum block light weight combos. Not the case in my setup 890 lift and 2050lbs iron block tall deck 4 link miller.

The point in all this was to share some fuel PSI data that I gathered during the testing. Nothing more nothing less.... I don't have to be the expert here i know there are plenty of folks out there who have been there and done that.

I do struggle to find anyone running MFI on 20 degree motors, if they are out there I haven't heard from them yet......

Posts: 425 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:

As far as burning a piston on the dyno, 1320 is right I did on the 615 20 degree motor first day on the dyno. 3rd pull, burned #5 cylinder between rings. The cause was not fuel/timing/tune up related nor was it assembly related. I was having trouble circulating water in the motor on the dyno. Attempted to get cool water supplied to the heads not the block to mimic how I have it done in the car. Hot spot in the head and detonation led to piston burning. Lesson learned.

On the return trip to the dyno we ran the same tune up (timing and pills) and many more (rich/lean, more timing/less timing) 20+ pulls with no issue. Motor has 300+ passes in the car now no reliability issues. FWIW it runs within a few hundredths +/- of a couple similar 20 degree 615s on gasoline in 4 link dragsters around my area. Using those cars same track same day, its not far off the mark sometimes faster sometimes slower but never more than 0.05 either way. Seem to me most/all the guys out there really flying with 20 degree NA motors in dragsters have BIG cams, many are aluminum block light weight combos. Not the case in my setup 890 lift and 2050lbs iron block tall deck 4 link miller.

The point in all this was to share some fuel PSI data that I gathered during the testing. Nothing more nothing less.... I don't have to be the expert here i know there are plenty of folks out there who have been there and done that.

I do struggle to find anyone running MFI on 20 degree motors, if they are out there I haven't heard from them yet......

Just curious, why would you make 20 plus pulls on the dyno.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:

Just curious, why would you make 20 plus pulls on the dyno.

When I had my shop I had customers put 20-25 hits on the dyno....I guess they paid for a day on the dyno they wanted all the pulls they could get. Especially the Comp guys....they wanted every horsepower there was to be had.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Some good info here.

I have always wondered about the methanol stacking behind the intake valve with MFI. Thats why I think a HOT head flashes it off to a gaseous state.

I see that the EFI guys control this using injector phasing, which is interesting.

Posts: 108 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I had my shop I had customers put 20-25 hits on the dyno....I guess they paid for a day on the dyno they wanted all the pulls they could get. Especially the Comp guys....they wanted every horsepower there was to be had.....

I get the Comp guys will look for every bit of HP but for a bracket engine, if you cant tune an engine in 3-4 pulls, you have a problem. I know some dyno operators will do 10 plus pulls on a bracket engine just because the guy is paying for the day. No need to wear the engine out on the dyno. Sometimes i do 2 engines in one day and still have time to do a 3rd one or at least get started on it.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Primary reason for 20 or so pulls is to isolate each change to verify results. Make 1 change to the tune up per test. All depends on how complicated the setup is, if you know what it needs you can zero in pretty quickly likely only need 5-6 pulls or so to get things right assuming you don't want to learn/test much about the combo.

Don't change much and you can get it done in 3 pulls. Carburetors usually 5 or 6 pulls and done. Injection just gives you more variables to adjust assuming you are willing to entertain them. H/S lean out RPM and H/S pill size. Oil temp high/low, engine water temp high/low.

The motor in question here i actually dyno'd the first 5 pulls on a gasoline 1450 carburetor, then swapped to the methanol injection so that added to the total. Lastly its a bracket motor, not like i'm counting passes so if i think of a change and want to try it and dyno operator is down for the test then why not?

FWIW it made 1060 and 860 on gasoline and 1090/905 injected on methanol.

Posts: 425 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and despite the 30HP difference, it will run quicker and faster down the track on gas and just as consistent. Ask racerdude2054. Him and his dad didn't believe me until they switched to gas after running alky and swearing by it for years. Now it's been years since they've run alky!

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...912/m/4307068796/p/1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
1320 I disagree, but I'm not getting into an argument over it. Methanol carburetor is one thing, injection is another. Been there done all three options (gas carb, methanol carb, injection) in my experience injection has been the fastest/most consistent. There are tons of factors at play in this conversation. Converter is the biggest one, but we could go on for days on converters alone.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nor am I, your slow car, your $, your time.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Edna still trying to have last word regardless of it having nothing to add to thread.

Seems different scares edna.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4407 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, MFI is NOT used by 99.9% of bracket racers a carburetor is and a distant 2nd choice is Ron's Terminator. TRUTH and FACTS!

But again, you are not a bracket racer nor is your POS FED a bracket car and this is thread is just another of the many

quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
endless posts asking about mostly meaningless BS

posted by you!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
again you know nothing about it and have no reason to post except to show what little bytch you are. That is the one thing you do well.

We all know different scares you because you know nothing about it. Bye now don't come back you hear?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4407 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
using you own words...
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Bye now don't come back you hear?

this ain't the forum for you, an illiterate idiot redneck who is not a bracket racer, who's POS FED is not a bracket car and who can not assemble and install anything on his shytbox without it failing or not working properly. Your junk hasn't gotten off the starting line under power! Laughing very hard

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'd say actual MFI users are closer to 5% but that depends heavily on where you race. In brackets around my area I'd say 5% is a closer estimate than 0.1%. If you take 100 entries and there's 1 person on MFI that's 1%. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, just means the majority of people use carburetors.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong of course it means a carb is better than MFI for consistency, predictability and tunability for bracket racing.