DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Holley float adjustment??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holley float adjustment??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
If using a electric fuel pump can u set the floats correctly just using the pump or should the car be running to get it right???Also using screw in jet extensions with a Holley plastic notched float, hear the slip on plastic extensions are a better deal whats your opinion.

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I set them by taking the bowl off, turning it upside down and setting the toe of the float to 7/16". Some set the primary to 7/16 and the secondary to 3/8. I like the metal jet extensions that are oval shaped at the open end.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
Engine should be running to adjust floats correctly.

I've used both styles of jet extensions and actual extended jets without and noticeable performance changes. Use what you have and you'll be fine.

Posts: 51 | Location: Rifle Colorado | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed, what is wrong?????

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCDRAGS:
Ed, what is wrong?????

Using the site plug hole is not a very good way to set floats mainly because the holes are in different locations on the bowls. The other issue is that setting the level to the bottom of the hole is usually too low for a drag car. Just use a drill bit to measure and turn the float upside down. You'll be good.

Here's a pic of the extensions that I like best.
[/URL][/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron Gusack,

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
Ed. Still a prick after all these years. LOL

Posts: 8960 | Location: Cooper, Texas | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wes. Still a clueless nobody after all these years. LOL

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
Hell ED, everybody's somebody. Have a nice day.

Posts: 8960 | Location: Cooper, Texas | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ron Gusack, wo what your saying is use a 3/8 drill bit for the front primary bowl and a 7/16 bit to set the secondary bowl. will that get u the correct height or will you still have to adjust it.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ron Gusack you have a PM.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Do the following...

1. take the carb bowls off, invert them and set the floats so that a 7/16" drill bit laying on the roof of the bowl just touches the hanging float.

2. set your fuel psi to 6.5 psi and do NOT use a liquid fill gauge.

3. go race

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Edwad, the Internet Idiot know it all Spitting

This message has been edited. Last edited by: I.P. Dailey,

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
1320 Racer , Ed, are both fuel bowls set up with a 7/16" drill bit or is the front primary 3/8". Been told so many ways, fuel is in middle of sight plug now, when i shut if off and open sight plugs it will slosh over bowl threads when i shake the car.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
both bowls. we haven't set the float level using the sight glass since 1991...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I set mine at .590

Posts: 65 | Location: home | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted May 15, 2018 05:26 PM Hide Post
Engine should be running to adjust floats correctly. True or not true!!

I've used both styles of jet extensions and actual extended jets without and noticeable performance changes. Use what you have and you'll be fine.

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCDRAGS:
quote:
posted May 15, 2018 05:26 PM Hide Post
Engine should be running to adjust floats correctly. True or not true!!

That doesn't hold for all cases, I've run into threaded extensions that were smaller than the jet being used. And they wondered why it wouldn't get rich enough...

For Holley jets the best are the Holley 122-5002, a tube that the jets slip into. If you have access to a lathe you can make some with thin wall brass tube, 11/32 x .014 wall.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
a sawed off 30-06 hull will work
if i remember correctly

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
[IMG:right] [/IMG] Rear fuel bowl setting with engine running, doe it look correct.