DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Help with choosing heads
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with choosing heads
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I am chill and we all have an opinion, that's what these forums are. That said, I have no issue with Chad and his work "looks" nice BUT he is not a player outside of the forums no different than several others that post here that have a business providing some kind of "performance" service.

Really? Full time now going on 15 years. All I do is port heads. Have them all over the world. Have National records. Just did a set for Reher last month. Shipped two more sets of Super Stock heads to FJ Smith. Did a set of iron heads for Scott Schraioff recently. The world is bigger than NJ.

Just sayin.

There ya go...….. Wink

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if you say so Chad, but I've never met/spoken to one person running your heads at any national event, divisional event, or bracket race. The aftermarket performance world is bigger than the internet forums.

Just sayin.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Butthurt in 3.....2.....1......

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Now everything is back to normal..... Laughing Hard

and I kind of like it....LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes, Rich it is with you being you.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
I've never bought into the notion of buying bigger heads, bigger camshaft, bigger carb, bigger headers for the engine you hope to build in the future, all that leaves you with is an engine/car that is a slug NOW!

Yeah, but you don't build engines, you buy them from Sunset. I build engines so I understand a 383 is a stepping stone sbc. The OP is already concerned about crossing around 7000 rpms. This tells me he's already out of potential for rpm as far as durability. Bolting AFR 210's adds maybe 20 hp. It's time for exponential growth more cubic inches + torque + the potential for RPM.

Your local engine builders suggestion ^^^^ exponential growth.

I won't be buying one of your Build for the Future engines,,, that's for sure! Laughing Hard

BTW I thought you were a tranny builder??? HMMMM
Do you build tranny's for the future too?

I'd be a little more concerned if you were apart of the new niche market, the homeless. Laughing Hard

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I've never bought into the notion of buying bigger heads, bigger camshaft, bigger carb, bigger headers for the engine you hope to build in the future, all that leaves you with is an engine/car that is a slug NOW!

Yeah, but you don't build engines, you buy them from Sunset. I build engines so I understand a 383 is a stepping stone sbc. The OP is already concerned about crossing around 7000 rpms. This tells me he's already out of potential for rpm as far as durability. Bolting AFR 210's adds maybe 20 hp. It's time for exponential growth more cubic inches + torque + the potential for RPM.

Your local engine builders suggestion ^^^^ exponential growth.

I won't be buying one of your Build for the Future engines,,, that's for sure! Laughing Hard

BTW I thought you were a tranny builder??? HMMMM
Do you build tranny's for the future too?

I'd be a little more concerned if you were apart of the new niche market, the homeless. Laughing Hard

Obviously you have NO sense of humor in this time of crisis when everyone could use a good laugh!

Do a Youtube search for Quarantine Confessions by Rodia Comedy! Maybe you will get a kick out of that.

Ed is still laughing! Big Grin

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you say so Chad, but I've never met/spoken to one person running your heads at any national event, divisional event, or bracket race. The aftermarket performance world is bigger than the internet forums.

Just sayin.

You probably won't find many in SC.. I really don't do much BBC stuff. But go to a truck pulling event, or tractor, or X275, might be a different story.

I'm not here to argue. I know to some I will forever be an internet porter. But I can't survive without results.

AND, "I have no issue with Chad and his work "looks" nice" is probably the nicest thing you have ever said to me. So thanks!

And glad to see your kid tearing it up. Yea, I pay attention. Smile

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Chad, my circle of racing friends is far greater than just those we compete with in S/C. That said, You don't need to prove yourself to me, you do what you do and have your niche. Besides, you like Yorkie's so we good. Thanks, he is and for the record, my heads ain't been touched by any head porter, they are OOTB.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:

Really? Full time now going on 15 years. All I do is port heads. Have them all over the world. Have National records. Just did a set for Reher last month. Shipped two more sets of Super Stock heads to FJ Smith. Did a set of iron heads for Scott Schraioff recently. The world is bigger than NJ.

Just sayin.

Chad, What do you suggest for the OP? I respect your opinion. Some of the others not so much.

By the way Fatboy I sent you a private message.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Curly1,

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy81:
Can I get some info from you guys on what head would work best for my setup?

Current setup.
.040 over 383
13/1 pistons
Comp 294cam hr 243/248@.050 .540/.560lift
Promaxx 190cc heads
Ported victor jr intake
850cfm Holley Xp
5500 ptc 8”
4.30 gear
2540 lbs

Truck runs 10.50s @ 125mph 1/4. Rpm is 6800-7000 threw the traps

I’m looking at 210 or 220 AFR heads

I have a hr now but plan to upgrade at some point to solid roller.

Questions are:

which head will work best on a 100% drag truck?

Should I get the head set up for solid roller now?

If I plan to put 200 shot of nitrous on it from time to time just to play would I need to do anything differently when ordering the heads?

1st ? on the top. See if the current head could be ported to better fit the motor. Too small IMO & I looked up the flow numbers, not adequate.

General motor combination looks like it was set-up more of a street/strip deal other than the compression. The converter/gearing looks to be strip.

1st ? at bottom, if this is 100% 2540 lb. race truck treat it as one.

2nd ? at bottom, Yes, get a solid roLler in it.

3rd ? at bottom, I wouldn't do anything different in the heads.

Just my opinion.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2539 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Remember, opinions are like an anal orifice, everybody has one. You don't provide a lot of info on your engine combination, i.e., whats the bottom end like? Can this combination withstand any more RPM or torque? Before I would drop any $$$$ on the heads I would seriously look at a cam swap to a solid roller and bring the heads up to what the cam wants. A very renowned engine builder schooled me on heads many years ago, he built some of the most deadly SS and comp engines around. He explained to me that an engine is nothing more than an air pump, the more efficient, ergo, the more power. It's really about the combination. Your current combination looks pretty stout, but there is room for improvement. Talk to a knowledgeable engine builder, their experience may be worth the time. BTW, that engine builder kept me from making a big $$$ mistake on heads. We redid my combination without spending a lot of $$$ and the car picked up over .50. Good luck.

Thanks man. I just had the bottom built. H beam, steal crank and forged pistons. Race balanced for 7500rpm and 800 hp

The heads I have won’t handle a bigger cam so I was thinking of upgrading the heads to a better set with a bigger cc intake runner to match what I do with it. I had Originally bought those heads for streetcar

Posts: 32 | Location: Zachary | Registered: November 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Be careful here, a solid roller cam with the same lift and 8° more duration will reduce piston to valve clearance vs the hydraulic roller cam. Even with the same lift and duration the piston to valve clearance would be less because of the quicker opening and closing rates of the solid roller vs the hydraulic roller.

If the piston to valve clearance is close now, you could get in trouble quickly......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fatboy81. I have reread your post a few times and the responses your getting. Upgrading to a set of AFR's set up for an even mild roller you will shoot your self in the foot . The spring pressure from a solid roller and a HR are much different. your current HR roller, IMO, will not be sufficient to flow with bigger heads. Heads are where the power is made, but with the right engine combination. Ed, Brian and others can weigh in on this but IMO, going to a bigger head will REQUIRE more cam. Then you have the issue of converter stall, flash etc. Leading to a possible gear change. See where I'm going with this? AFR makes a great head, used them on my S/C car for years and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to steer you away from them. But you'll pay well over $2200.00 for the set your after. Then you will need a good head gasket, my personal favorites are Cometic, almost another $100.00. For about half that you get a good mild roller cam, lifters and upgrade your current heads to handle the new cam. Good Luck.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
This, is the spice I’ve missed on DRR. Everyone pulling it out, showing their skill sets. lol
PS Top38 is very knowledgeable as well as Chad and Ed.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12156 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Nobody has said anything useful yet, other than the OP informing of a 7500 rpm limit on the engine. It might be good for that, for a bit wing wong ching chong crank and rods.

He still hasn't said what his goals are other than spray it with 200 hp on a plate here and there.

If that's the case put a bigger intake valve than a 2.02 and port the heads. Solid roller camshaft a hair bigger than 560 and spread the lobes 110-112. Tighten the converter 400 rpms.

Simple.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy81:
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Remember, opinions are like an anal orifice, everybody has one. You don't provide a lot of info on your engine combination, i.e., whats the bottom end like? Can this combination withstand any more RPM or torque? Before I would drop any $$$$ on the heads I would seriously look at a cam swap to a solid roller and bring the heads up to what the cam wants. A very renowned engine builder schooled me on heads many years ago, he built some of the most deadly SS and comp engines around. He explained to me that an engine is nothing more than an air pump, the more efficient, ergo, the more power. It's really about the combination. Your current combination looks pretty stout, but there is room for improvement. Talk to a knowledgeable engine builder, their experience may be worth the time. BTW, that engine builder kept me from making a big $$$ mistake on heads. We redid my combination without spending a lot of $$$ and the car picked up over .50. Good luck.

Thanks man. I just had the bottom built. H beam, steal crank and forged pistons. Race balanced for 7500rpm and 800 hp

The heads I have won’t handle a bigger cam so I was thinking of upgrading the heads to a better set with a bigger cc intake runner to match what I do with it. I had Originally bought those heads for streetcar

Let's start over here,,,

first you still haven't stated what your goals are! So to provide you with advice on what you should do is just an assumption on what we think you want to do. And want don't mean you can afford the added costs.

Your current combo shows it is making around 425 HP based on your performance which is well short of the capacity of your heads!

Your current cam is s fat piece of low hanging fruit with regards to making more power.

You state that the heads can't handle a bigger cam, explain this statement. And BTW I don't agree here. Changing the cam to a solid or solid roller just requires new springs and maybe retainers. Don't know what the installed height is so I can't say what your max lift can be but Promaxx lists flow to 600 lift! So I'd say there is room for more lift, probably in the 650 range. Changing intake valves to a larger 2.05 or 2.08 will likely will hurt those heads! The intake flow they list on their web site will support 500 to 525 HP as is, that's a solid 75 more than you have now! So for reasonable gains, the heads are not the issue! Yes you would need to check valve to piston clearance but adding lift alone does not effect this, changes to duration and lobe separation however do!

Your carb is too big! A 750 would be but a lot better with room to grow.

For a bracket race deal and to gain some realistic HP for the most bang for the buck!, Change the cam to a solid lifter deal or solid roller that fits your current combo! If you pay attention here and the rest of your combo is good, you can get your truck's ET down to the 10 range. (500 hp is 10.0 et's) How close depends on the rest of the combo along with tuning! Also you don't need to turn that motor to 7500 to make 500 HP! Peak power will be in the 6600 range at 500 HP.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nobody has said anything useful yet, other than the OP informing of a 7500 rpm limit on the engine. It might be good for that, for a bit wing wong ching chong crank and rods.

He still hasn't said what his goals are other than spray it with 200 hp on a plate here and there.

If that's the case put a bigger intake valve than a 2.02 and port the heads. Solid roller camshaft a hair bigger than 560 and spread the lobes 110-112. Tighten the converter 400 rpms.

Simple.

You got two pieces of BS with one statement of truth sandwiched in the middle here.

SIMPLE! Wink

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Your current combo shows it is making around 425 HP based on your performance which is well short of the capacity of your heads!

Your current cam is s fat piece of low hanging fruit with regards to making more power.

Changing the cam to a solid or solid roller just requires new springs and maybe retainers. Don't know what the installed height is so I can't say what your max lift can be but Promaxx lists flow to 600 lift! So I'd say there is room for more lift, probably in the 650 range. Changing intake valves to a larger 2.05 or 2.08 will likely will hurt those heads! The intake flow they list on their web site will support 500 to 525 HP as is, that's a solid 75 more than you have now! So for reasonable gains, the heads are not the issue! Yes you would need to check valve to piston clearance but adding lift alone does not effect this, changes to duration and lobe separation however do!

For a bracket race deal and to gain some realistic HP for the most bang for the buck!, Change the cam to a solid lifter deal or solid roller that fits your current combo! If you pay attention here and the rest of your combo is good, you can get your truck's ET down to the 10 range. (500 hp is 10.0 et's) How close depends on the rest of the combo along with tuning! Also you don't need to turn that motor to 7500 to make 500 HP! Peak power will be in the 6600 range at 500 HP.

EXACTLY!!

Exactly what? Top 38 needs to stop drinking the bong water possibly!?

How do you go faster with less RPM? You guys are some funny mofo's! Laughing Hard

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Changing the cam to a solid or solid roller just requires new springs and maybe retainers. Don't know what the installed height is so I can't say what your max lift can be but Promaxx lists flow to 600 lift! So I'd say there is room for more lift, probably in the 650 range. Changing intake valves to a larger 2.05 or 2.08 will likely will hurt those heads! The intake flow they list on their web site will support 500 to 525 HP as is, that's a solid 75 more than you have now! So for reasonable gains, the heads are not the issue! Yes you would need to check valve to piston clearance but adding lift alone does not effect this, changes to duration and lobe separation however do!

EXACTLY!!

Exactly what? Top 38 needs to stop drinking the bong water possibly!?

How do you go faster with less RPM? You guys are some funny mofo's! Laughing Hard

If we told you that then you would know too! Razz